Community
Search

La Dolce Vita

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-04, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
La Dolce Vita

Can anyone help me out...I would like to purchase the best quality DVD currently available for La Dolce Vita. Any info on which version is best, and where I can buy it from? Thank you.
Old 01-01-04, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I do not think this is DVD yet as R1, however you can buy it from Europe (R2).
Amazon UK - La Dolce Vita

But I do not know how it is...
Old 01-01-04, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

the best version is the Italian dvd which you actually could get right here at home in the US:
http://www.xploitedcinema.com/dvds/dvds.asp?title=648

Stunning 2 DVD release of Fellini's LA DOLCE VITA

Marcello Mastroianni and Anita Ekberg star in Federico Fellini's best-loved masterpiece, which was awarded a Best Foreign Film Oscar and the Palme D'Or. La Dolce Vita explores the life of a gossipy newspaper columnist who becomes involved in the decadent lifestyles of Roman society in the 1960s.

The Vatican tried to ban it, the left championed it and the public adored it. Today the film has lost none of its style and popularity. It is considered the finest film of its era: visually stunning, highly intelligent and superbly entertaining.

DVD FEATURES
# DISC 1Remastered Anamorphic Widescreen (2.35:1) Version (
# Italian Mono Audio
# Optional English Subtitles
DISC 2
# 'Cinema Forever' Documentary - In Italian with Optional English Subtitles
# Newsreel Footage
# Fellini Documentary - In Italian Only

ps
for the record the UK version suggested above is NOT the best version, the Italian is!!!

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 01-01-04 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-01-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks for the info...

I did not know about the Italian version.
Old 01-01-04, 03:57 PM

more ???

Ok, some followups...where is the best place to get The 400 Blows (without buying the Criterion box set...) imported, and if possible, a DVD version of Double Indemnity?
Old 01-01-04, 04:31 PM
Banned

Without a doubt, the best version of La Dolce Vita is the Medusa edition. Don't even think about getting the others ones. (the medusa edition is Region 2, so you'll need a region 2 or region free player).

Also, La Dolce Vita has been announced to be released by Koch Lorber sometime in the middle of the year. However, its rumoured that Paramount will contest Koch Lorber's rights. So, if time is a factor, definitely go for the Medusa edition.
Old 01-01-04, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: more ???

Originally posted by rbf1138
Ok, some followups...where is the best place to get The 400 Blows (without buying the Criterion box set...) imported, and if possible, a DVD version of Double Indemnity?
http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/tg/...#more-pictures
Old 01-02-04, 02:40 PM

>>Ok, some followups...where is the best place to get The 400 Blows (without buying the Criterion box set...) imported, and if possible, a DVD version of Double Indemnity?
Old 01-02-04, 05:13 PM
Banned

I second markdclark's recommendation.
Old 01-02-04, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jayson1017
Also, La Dolce Vita has been announced to be released by Koch Lorber sometime in the middle of the year. However, its rumoured that Paramount will contest Koch Lorber's rights. So, if time is a factor, definitely go for the Medusa edition.
Sorry I cannot find the citation, but someone at Koch did report that they were delaying their release of this title due to a right's dispute with Paramount. (Based on Koch's prior output, I'll be rooting for Paramount this time around.)
Old 02-17-04, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by RevKarl
Sorry I cannot find the citation, but someone at Koch did report that they were delaying their release of this title due to a right's dispute with Paramount. (Based on Koch's prior output, I'll be rooting for Paramount this time around.)
Why? At least dating back to their Fox Lorber roots, they had some heart and TLC in their films, if not over the top specs. Paramount can't get out of it's own way, and is a detriment to DVD in my book. Naturally Criterion is my first choice, but Koch Lorber looks at least interested in putting a respectful product out.

Any news on this situation by the way? I can't wait much more and may have to take the R2 plunge.
Old 02-17-04, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
the best version is the Italian dvd which you actually could get right here at home in the US:
http://www.xploitedcinema.com/dvds/dvds.asp?title=648

Stunning 2 DVD release of Fellini's LA DOLCE VITA
Fully agree. I have this disc and it's wonderful!
Old 02-17-04, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For a comparison of the Dolce Vita versions available, I recommend:
http://www.compare.dvdbeaver.com/
It does appear the Italian version is the clear winner.
Old 02-17-04, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally posted by The Nature Boy
Why? At least dating back to their Fox Lorber roots, they had some heart and TLC in their films, if not over the top specs. Paramount can't get out of it's own way, and is a detriment to DVD in my book. Naturally Criterion is my first choice, but Koch Lorber looks at least interested in putting a respectful product out.
[sarcasm] Yeah, just like how Paramount totally screwed up Once Upon A Time In The West with that horrible transfer and practically no extras. Not to mention putting it out at a price point where you could get it for around $14. Paramount totally butchers the classics on dvd. [/sarcasm]
Old 02-17-04, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by slop101
[sarcasm] Yeah, just like how Paramount totally screwed up Once Upon A Time In The West with that horrible transfer and practically no extras. Not to mention putting it out at a price point where you could get it for around $14. Paramount totally butchers the classics on dvd. [/sarcasm]
[additional sarcasm]And Fox Lorber were so widely renowned for their excellent video transfers and quality DVD authoring.[/additional sarcasm]
Old 02-17-04, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Paramount very often sucked, but Fox Lorber was even more consistent in their suckitude. Either way, we'll either be predictably screwed or pleasantly surprised.
Old 02-17-04, 12:50 PM

Just to clarify:

The only thing Fox Lorber and Koch Lorber have in common is that they were both founded by Richard Lorber. They are separate companies (Fox Lorber is now Wellspring), so it is unfair to judge the year-old Koch Lorber by the quality standards of Fox Lorber (which, I agree, weren't always the highest).

Given that Koch Lorber is starting to buy the rights to a number of great films (starting with La Dolce vita and The Umbrellas of Cherbourg--they are releasing the latter April 6th), I'm hopeful that they'll do a decent job. As it stands, they've only released a handful of DVDs thus far (none of which I'd consider beloved classics), so I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt in the meantime.

La Dolce vita was to have been their marquee release (a deluxe 2-disc affair), but with Paramount disputing the rights, it may never see the light of day. The only reason I've held off buying the Italian DVD is that most of the disc 2 extras aren't subtitled (and the 24-page booklet is only in Italian, as well), but I'll buy it in a heartbeat if either Koch Lorber or Paramount screws it up, or if their dispute drags on ...
Old 02-17-04, 01:12 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
I have yet to see a Koch Lorber title, but the recent Wellspring output is very good (they licensed the Doinel films and transfers to Criterion).

Hopefully the new Umbrellas of Cherbourg will be better than the horrible old disc from Fox Lorber.

It's the "Lorber" name that doesn't instill me with much hope for that company. It's too bad Criterion couldn't secure the rights to La Dolce Vita.
Old 02-23-04, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just rented and watched Children of the Century (a Koch Lorber release). The film is much newer, and so not really comparable to Umbrellas or La Dolce Vita, but I must say I was pleased with the transfer. Surprisingly so. Here's to hoping for consistently good output.

Dan
Old 02-23-04, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I won't defend the former Fox Lorber based on quality, but I do feel like they brought some films to DVD at an affordable level that otherwise would have been tough for us DVD buyers on a budget to acquire, the Gilliam/Python films instantly springing to mind. Did they have the Criterion extras of Life of Brian? No, but it also cost half as much. And I think they surpassed the Criterions on the the Killer and Hard Boiled releases, and put some decent extras on there. Is it a company for the DVD hall of fame? No, but they served a purpose and filled a void that given what they were releasing you can't say definately would have been filled.

And Paramount did a bangup job on Once Upon a Time, but they leave a lot to be desired in my eyes. How long did we wait for the Godfather and all we got were decent extras and poor transfers that are already being updated. Oh yeah, no rebate in sight for those of us that dropped upwards of $100 bucks at the time of release.
Old 02-23-04, 01:57 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Paramount only placed three films in the Top 100 census, as opposed to companies like Criterion who placed 18.

They leave a lot to be desired. Hopefully with their supposedly upcoming 2-disc SE titles they'll bouce back.
Old 02-23-04, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by The Nature Boy
Well, I won't defend the former Fox Lorber based on quality, but I do feel like they brought some films to DVD at an affordable level that otherwise would have been tough for us DVD buyers on a budget to acquire, the Gilliam/Python films instantly springing to mind...
Anchor Bay released Time Bandits and Life of Brian, not Fox Lorber.