Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Madonna Vs. Kylie

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-03, 08:10 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Madonna Vs. Kylie

Who would win?

I'd say Madonna, because eventually people would figure out she has at least some talent, whereas with Kylie its all about choosing the sleaziest pair of hotpants to wear and thats about it. The womans' 'music' has to be heard to be believed. 'I should be so lucky'? I wish. More like, 'Lets listen to your godawful albums and slit our wrists'. Madge on the other hand has an excellent single out right now and she is queen in my book (right after Jessica and Mandy).
Old 12-30-03, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As far as longevity, I'd say Madonna - but only because of her 80s output. As far as 2k3 is concerned, Kylie by a long shot. "Slow" is the synthetic post-electroclash dancediddy that Madonna wishes she could make. And "Can't Get You Out of My Head" is still one of the most aptly titled songs. Ever.

This has been a terrible year for the (former) queen bee of pop. Indicting Minogue for her sexual appeal is silly, especially considering Madonna's look-at-me-I'm-still-relevant butterfinger grab at mens' loins at the VMAs.

But, like I said, Madonna in the long-run, Kylie in the short. We'll see how that goes, though, since Kylie just seems to be gaining her momentum.
Old 12-30-03, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Madonna would take her. I don't think she'd fight fair. She probably carries a couple blades at all times..
Old 12-30-03, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bah! Cottington... if this is going to be an ongoing thing with the "who would win in a fight between Kim Wilde and Belinda Carlisle" questions, why not consider making it a POLL?

I'd vote for Kylie - her stellar performance on "Neighbours" puts "Shanghai Surprise" and "Swept Away" to shame...

I don't listen to the music...
Old 12-30-03, 03:52 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not that familiar with Kylie's output from her second album to the one right before her US comeback, so I'd have to give Madonna the edge here. BUT, as cheezy as Kylie's debut is, I still enjoy it. And, I like Kylie's newest stuff (Love at First Sight, Can't Get You Outta My Head, Slow) much better than Madonna's recent output.
Old 12-30-03, 03:56 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't like either of their music, too pop for my tastes. But I'd still have to give a slight nod to madonna.

Kylie gets the nod in the looks department though.
Old 12-30-03, 05:06 PM
Suspended

Who would win in what? Fight? Career?

Uhh Im going with Madonna no matter what you meant.
Old 12-30-03, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll take Kylie. It took Madonna a very long time to get it perfect with the song "Ray of Light". I know Kylie's been around forever also, but it doesn't seem like she tried very hard to be "cool". When she put her mind to it she NAILED it with "Can't Get You...".
And she's still more interesting today.... as well as 47 times hotter.
Old 12-30-03, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I pick Kylie. I'm much rather do her.
Old 12-31-03, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Madonna would threadcrap all over Kylie.
Old 12-31-03, 10:59 AM

Kylie has songs like Better the Devil You Know, Confide in Me, Where the Wild Roses Grow, Breathe, etc. She tops Madonna in the song category. Also, she is likely to appeal more to the community she is aspiring towards--the gay community. She is also hotter and sexier. Singing and recording wise, Madonna is better. I'd have to chose Madonna, because she has an immense female fanbase; Kylie doesn't seem to aspire to the same goals as Madonna, which are large and ambitious, she seems to prefer being intimate with her fans.
Old 12-31-03, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by cheapskate
"who would win in a fight between Kim Wilde and Belinda Carlisle" "

Belinda, easily.
Old 01-01-04, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Belinda, easily.
...assuming she was at her "fighting weight."
Old 01-04-04, 11:27 AM

I'm a big fan of both women, and have even met both, but I always give the 'who would win' title to Madonna. First of all, both women make dance oriented pop music, but both offer something different. Madonna's tone is usually serious while Kylie's is more about having dumb fun. So it makes Kylie's music a little more appealing at first glance sometimes. Kylie does walk in Madonna's footsteps, which takes something away from her also. If you prefer Slow to some of Madonna's out-there singles, you'd still have to see that it's Madonna who made it possible for someone like Kylie to do that sort of thing. Madonna also sticks by the music she wants to make, for the most part, while Kylie trend-jumps and does a full 180 if sales are bad. If Body Language does not sell in America watch how fast she drops the R&B sound. Kylie will also never record a Live To Tell or an Oh Father. Or make a video like Express Yourself or Bad Girl. Works of art.
Old 01-04-04, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
tatu!
Old 01-04-04, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Clearly the Hulk would win.
Old 01-04-04, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Madonna looks kind of muscular these days, whereas Kylie's delicate appearance doesn't bode well for her in a catfight. Or a fistfight, for that matter.
Old 01-04-04, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Madonna is kinky and would probably enjoy getting slapped around by Kylie.
Old 01-04-04, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Friday13thuncut
Madonna also sticks by the music she wants to make, for the most part, while Kylie trend-jumps and does a full 180 if sales are bad.
Mmm, isn't Madonna's whole schtick trend-jumping? The woman is constantly reinventing herself.

And I'm not so sure that Kylie's music -apart from that 80s "Locomotion" thingymabobber- is just "dumb fun." Even if it was, it isn't like Madonna doesn't have her share of that, as well. More than enough for just one person, I'd even venture.
Old 01-04-04, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Aren't they within 10 years of each other in age?
Old 01-05-04, 11:44 AM
Banned

yes, Kylie is a grandma (not literally).
Old 01-05-04, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kylie would win.
Old 01-05-04, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by fallow
Mmm, isn't Madonna's whole schtick trend-jumping? The woman is constantly reinventing herself.

And I'm not so sure that Kylie's music -apart from that 80s "Locomotion" thingymabobber- is just "dumb fun." Even if it was, it isn't like Madonna doesn't have her share of that, as well. More than enough for just one person, I'd even venture.

Madonna's "trend jumping" comes more with style and stuff like that, not so much the music. Her music, no matter what direction it goes, is usually still placed within club music, where she started. Although she made a half-assed attempt to drift into R&B on Bedtime Stories. Kylie moved from europop to adult contemporary pop to rock and back to europop when rock didn't work, and is currently leaving europop again for R&B in order to please America, who, of course, couldn't possibly like any other kind of music. When that fails, I'm guessing it'll be back to europop again. I think the girl is actually talented in the music department- the material she wrote on her own (the album Impossible Princess) is years ahead of the stuff other people write for her, but for some reason she now allows a team of people to make decisions for her. Her new album actually has someone credited as 'Kylie's visual direction and stylist'! Ugh!

Madonna has her share of dumb songs but I can think of a bunch that are well written, deep, etc, while in Kylie's catalogue songs like that come about once every ten years. It's both a good thing and a bad thing.
Old 01-05-04, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay, I give you that one.
Old 01-06-04, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I actually bought Kylie's album with "Can't get you outa my head" and I actually liked a lot of the stuff on the cd. I've heard Madonna's new cd's and IMHO there were only one or two really good songs on each cd in last few years.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.