Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

New Receiver & Old Speakers Question

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-03, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not a big home audio person so I don't know if this will work. We have some older floor speakers as well as rears and a center from a while ago (Probably 95). It was a nice system bought back then when Dolby Pro Logic was the best thing out.

The connections for all the speakers are the old speaker wire and screw in connection type. I don't know about todays speaker systems and all that but for getting DTS and DD 5.1 do you need certain digital connections going to your speakers now?

I was thinking if I bought a new receiver that has DTS and DD would I be able to hookup the old speakers until I could afford new ones or would I not even be able to hook the speaker wire connection up to the receiver. If I could would I even get DD or DTS?
Old 12-29-03, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Connections are still the same. The digital connection you are referring to is a connection from the player to the receiver for DD DTS
Old 12-29-03, 05:04 PM

Ah so essentially all I would need would be a decent new reciever and then optical cables for my Xbox and DVD player and such right?

Wonder how good the speakers would sound with DTS and all that now that they are kinda old.
Old 12-29-03, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eight years isn't all that old for a well-designed pair of speakers. I'm listening to a pair of 20-year-old Boston Acoustics that still sound great.

What brand and model of speakers are you listening to?
Old 12-29-03, 09:55 PM

Well the fronts are some Kenwood JL-717 floor standing and the rears are Kenwood LSK-02b.

The center is a Profile series PSL-C2.

I think what they did was bought the whole stereo except for a center channel then added that in later and probably isn't the best quality but I don't know much. Profile seems to be a local Canadian company maybe. These were parents speakers btw.

Any idea if they were a good speaker back then and would still sound pretty good now or would they have been a cheaper model?
Old 12-30-03, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't knock an old speaker, if it was built well it will last for many years to come. You can post all day about and ask questions about it, but in reality you'll never know if your speakers are going to sound good with a new receiver unless you hook them up and find out. Speakers are an odd thing, and the answer could go either way because of 100 variables that haven't been mentioned or found out.

Here's the best way to tell if your speakers are good: Do they sound good to you? If so, they are good speakers and they will probably sound good with a new receiver. Audio is relative, and forget about price, brand, and model... the best speaker is the one that sounds best to your ears, regardless of those 3 things.