Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

is there a universal remote that has DirecTIVO controls?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 12-29-03, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am going to buy a Directivo and I am also looking to get a new universal remote. is there 1 one that I can use that will also control the tivo?
Old 12-29-03, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have a TiVo, but I have a Dish Network DVR, which has the same functionality. Because of the requirements of the DVR I bought the Home Theater Master MX-500 and it's the best money I've spent on my home theater.

The MX-500 has some components built in, but mostly it's a learning remote. It's very easy to set up and program, and it has such a large amount of memory you'll never max it out.

I also like the hard buttons over touch screen, because you don't have to look at the remote to find the buttons.

Very, very highly recommended.
Old 12-29-03, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

MX-500 -

This is a great remote. It is also very easy to customize and use. I bought one for my non-tech savvy parents and they have no problems using it.

Check out http://www.remotecentral.com for all kinds of remote advice.

I bought mine from bluedo.com for about $105.
Old 12-30-03, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the budget minded, you could go with an All for One URC-6131. It's a PVR ready universal remote.

I bought one for my D*Tivo and love it. Got the JP1 enabled version and custom programmed it with my PC.

I ordered mine from here (click me)

There are threads about this at the TIVO COMMUNITY FORUMS as well.

In fact, I found THIS THREAD that talks about customizations you can do to the remote specifically for the DirecTivo without having it JP1 enabled.

Last edited by buzzdalf; 12-30-03 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-30-03, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
I don't have one yet, but I'm planning on picking up a Harmony SST-659, which is supposed to have nice Tivo controls.

www.harmonyremote.com
Old 12-30-03, 08:14 PM
Cool New Member

My One For All and Radio Shack Kameleon's both have the Directivo functions/ matching buttons already built in.

Best of all you can get the RS Kameleon for around $40 on Ebay or buy the new Kameleon (a nice step up for me IMHO) for around $70 on Ebay.

I use them all the time without any hassles.
Old 01-02-04, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't have a TiVo, but I have a Dish Network DVR, which has the same functionality.
i have a dish network PVR and am looking into th MX-500.

w/ regards to PVR functionality - does it have the 30 sec ahead, 5 sec back feature that the DishNetwork remote has?
Old 01-02-04, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The MX-500 doesn't have a button with 30-second on it, but you can program any button you want to do that function. It's a great remote!
Old 01-02-04, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jasonr114
i have a dish network PVR and am looking into th MX-500.

w/ regards to PVR functionality - does it have the 30 sec ahead, 5 sec back feature that the DishNetwork remote has?
As Big Dave wrote, the nice thing about the MX-500 is that you can program any button to do anything you want.

One of the things that sold me on this remote is the extra pair of buttons around that round cursor control rocker in the center of the remote (the |>| buttons labeled Menu and Guide). Those were perfectly located for the jump back and jump forward functions, so I relocated the guida and menu bottons up to the buttons next to the LCD screen.

The transport control buttons on the MX-500 are clustered almost the same as the buttons on the remote that came with my PVR-721.

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 01-02-04 at 11:05 PM.
Old 01-02-04, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

sweet - thx
Old 01-02-04, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Mr. Salty

I don't have a TiVo, but I have a Dish Network DVR, which has the same functionality. Because of the requirements of the DVR I bought the Home Theater Master MX-500 and it's the best money I've spent on my home theater.

The MX-500 has some components built in, but mostly it's a learning remote. It's very easy to set up and program, and it has such a large amount of memory you'll never max it out.

I also like the hard buttons over touch screen, because you don't have to look at the remote to find the buttons.

Very, very highly recommended.
Mr. Salty is correct.

For the past 2 years I have used this remote to control all my stuff. That would include the Sony SAT-T60 DirecTV Tivo Unit.
Old 01-03-04, 01:57 PM

I bought my mx500 when I bought my RPTV last February. I can't recommend it enough. Using the programable remotes in the past, you could learn a lot of things, but there were always times that you have to grab the original remote to do something, so you have to keep them handy. Since I programmed it from my other remotes, I have not had a need to pick up an original remote ONCE! With the custom labels on the screen, if there isn't a button that says what you need, you make it! (5 character max)

Once you set up macros, you'll never know how you lived w/o one. Push one button to turn on multiple pieces of equipment and set them all to the correct inputs. SWEET! (I won't claim that this is the only remote that will do this by any means)

Check out the detailed review at Remote Central.