Cronenbergs Crash

Community
Search

Cronenbergs Crash

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-03, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cronenbergs Crash

I would really like to see Criterion release David Cronenbergs Crash on dvd,,i think its a damn good film and very underated. i know NEW LINE are behind the current dvd release,,what do u think the chances are of Criterion getting the rights back??

I know Criterion released Crash on laserdisc. i was just wondering what the extras were. because if they did a new dvd i know there is an excellant extra they need. Whilst watching tv in the uk, on BBC3 or 4, they repeated an old arts programme called Omnibus from about 1970 which was about Ballard and his Crash theories. The show was really interesting as Ballard prested his work on screen. This show i guess was broadcast before the book was out as its essentially presented as an essay by Ballard stating his crash theories/research and worries about the future, cars, driving and sex.

This was a very interesting programme I hope it will surface someday,,,i think it could happen cos i was watching my Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas extras and there is also a 70's Omnibus on Hunter S Thompson.

Anyone else like this film enough to want a Criterion release of it?
Old 12-26-03, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Cronenbergs Crash

Originally posted by droach75
Anyone else like this film enough to want a Criterion release of it?

Old 12-26-03, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Criterion LD had Cronenberg commentary, a trailer, and some behind-the-scenes and interview footage (including Ballard).

New Line has recently been licensing the extra features from laserdiscs that Criterion released, including Once Were Warriors and Bodies, Rest, and Motion (the latter of which was released on DVD by Image, but with a huge New Line logo on the back). It's not improbable that New Line may do the same with Crash at some point.

DJ
Old 12-27-03, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I highly doubt we would see a criterion of this movie.For the most part, criterion only releases classy movies, and I don't think Crash would be classy enough. Plus, criterion probably doesn't even have the rights to it anymjore.
Old 12-27-03, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
I highly doubt we would see a criterion of this movie.For the most part, criterion only releases classy movies, and I don't think Crash would be classy enough.
It was already classy enough for a Criterion laserdisc release, so I doubt they'll suddenly change their mind because Rypro 525 doesn't think it's up to snuff. Please spare us the threadcraps on whether this "deserves" to happen.

Plus, criterion probably doesn't even have the rights to it anymjore.
Did you not read my previous post? New Line has been licensing Criterion LD extras for DVD release, so a Crash DVD with those extras is completely plausible.

DJ
Old 12-27-03, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has this always been a New Line movie from day one, or was this an indie that criterion bought the rights to?
Old 12-27-03, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
Has this always been a New Line movie from day one, or was this an indie that criterion bought the rights to?
New Line/Fine Line have held the US rights to the film from day one. My Criterion LD has New Line and Fine Line logos on the back and the copyright notice says that it's "Under exclusive license from New Line Home Video."

DJ
Old 12-27-03, 12:37 PM

crash

I disagree

Criterion have already released it as a laserdisc,,,so that means they class it already as an important film

Secondly 'Crash' is more classy than a few Criterion films that are currently out at the moment like 'Armageddon', 'The Rock' and 'Fiend Without a Face' and 'The Blob' the last two i do love but are not what i would call a true Criterion film because of their genre/exploitation origins.

'Crash' is also an important peice of literature, it was written by one the best writers of the last century JG Ballard.

I think Criterion have a great respect for Cronenberg because of the laserdisc release of 'Crash', and the two dvd releases of 'Dead Ringers' and 'Naked Lunch'.

He is an important filmaker who has a distinct vision and always has something worthwhile to say in this day and age.
Old 12-27-03, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm hoping that as the DVD craze goes on, and the sales of catalog titles wanes, we'll see Criterion able to snatch up rights to a bunch of its laserdisk titles.

That said, the New Line DVD does sport one very important feature: the unrated director's cut. I can't tell you what a difference this extra footage makes to the movie. I saw the R-rated cut in the theater and thought it was an interesting if cold failure (and I LOVE Cronenberg's stuff). Now that I've finally seen the unrated cut, I fully understand what Cronenberg was going for and believe the film to be a twisted erotic masterpiece.
Old 12-27-03, 03:46 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Count me in for someone who would love to see the Criterion extras restored to DVD, and also, as someone else who bristles at the comment that Crash is not "classy" enough.

The Criterion Collection doesn't go for "class," per se, as much as they go for films they think are important (the Michael Bay films notwithstanding). I wouldn't call Beastie Boys videos particularly classy. Also, there are many films on the Criterion Collection that fall into the same kind of category as Crash, such as The Night Porter, or Salo: 120 Days of Sodom. So I really cannot see where this comment comes from.