Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Reccommend a decent portable DVD player

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 12-16-03, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm getting bored of these long metro rides and all these season sets of DVDs I have are getting dusty. I'm looking for a good quality portable DVD player. Basically, I don't need top of the line, but good picture and sound and reliability. Prefer widescreen. Thanks!
Old 12-17-03, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got a laptop. You can even get widescreen ones now.
Old 12-17-03, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Bagheera
I just got a laptop. You can even get widescreen ones now.
Exceedingly unhelpful response.
Old 12-17-03, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I've heard (though haven't used) that Initial Portable DVD players aren't too bad. Circuit $hitty sells them as the only B&M I know of. That's about all I can help you with.
Old 12-17-03, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by steebo777
I've heard (though haven't used) that Initial Portable DVD players aren't too bad. Circuit $hitty sells them as the only B&M I know of. That's about all I can help you with.
That's actually quite helpful! That's one of the ones I was considering. That and an Apex. Basically, I can't see paying $400 for a Sony. It's a better picture, but I'm looking for economy as I'm going to run this thing into the ground.
Old 12-17-03, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm also looking for atleast a 7" widescreen.
As cheap as possible, but something semi-reliable.

I'm going to mostly use it for car road trips.
So having the car adapter is a plus.

I was considering the Cyberhome one at Walmart online for $218 (it's been selling elsewhere including Ebay for much higher).
Figured how can you go wrong with that price for a 7"!?

But I too have been hearing for the cheap price range players, that Initial was better for quality!?

Looking forward to more responses.
Old 12-17-03, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is what I posted here back in the summer.

Target has a 7" Audiovox "Eddie Bauer" edition on sale this week for $289. Very nice and easy to use, not heavy at all. The player (without the battery) was the exact same size as a DVD case. The battery mounts on the back of the unit and increases the size by about 1". Included accesories are car & wall adapter, RCA, S-Video and sound cables-all mini plug. The battery gave me around 3 hrs.

I works for me!

I've been using it ever since for car trips (for the kids), train ride into Chicago, during lunch at work and have not had any problems.
Old 12-17-03, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by wfujosh
That's actually quite helpful! That's one of the ones I was considering. That and an Apex. Basically, I can't see paying $400 for a Sony. It's a better picture, but I'm looking for economy as I'm going to run this thing into the ground.
I would NOT get an Apex. Very bad build quality.
Old 12-17-03, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a request for further suggestions--please post battery life experience. Battery life is very important for my decision. (It isn't much use if the battery dies in the middle of a moview, away from any outlet!)
Old 12-17-03, 08:48 PM

I meant to say I'd just get a Laptop. Thats what I did and that way I have a nice portable DVD player and a computer. I just wish that they had the widescreen availble when I got mine. It's a lot bigger than the little portables. I am sorry if your not interested in that but it was just my opinion.
Old 12-17-03, 11:43 PM
Cool New Member

target was selling a 6.5" kawasaki dvd player that is region hackable. i got mine for 179.99. picture quality is pretty good and battery gets me about 2.5 hours. also, there's two headphone jacks which is a plus. not bad for under 200 in my opinion.
Old 12-18-03, 11:06 AM

I have the Polaroid 7" portable from Best Buy. Battery life is 3.5 hrs. It is also region hackable. Price is ~180.

Thong
Old 12-19-03, 07:21 AM

Originally posted by Thong T
I have the Polaroid 7" portable from Best Buy. Battery life is 3.5 hrs. It is also region hackable. Price is ~180.

Thong
My brother bought the same one. Very nice for the price, and it's gotten pretty good reviews. It also comes with a car adapter, which many don't. Good battery life, also.
Old 12-19-03, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just received the Polaroid 8" PV800 I believe, as a Christmas gift from my gf, and can't recommend it enough. It has a swivel screen which is sorta a cool feature I didn't see on a lot, as well as dual headphone jacks, car adaptor, cables to hook to a tv etc.

The only negatives I've noticed, in the little time I've played with it, is that text is sometimes hit or miss, which may be a prolbem with all these players, I havne't really looked into them, and can only say that text is somewhat hard to read depending upon the disc.. I'm guessing it's a problem with all small players such as this. It's not progressive I don't believe.
Old 12-19-03, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I ended up getting the Initial 7" DVD player from WalMart for $218. I'm pretty happy. Picture quality is the same as the Polaroid (I watched them both side by side, it may even be better) and aside from being a little heavy, the 7" is plenty big for right in front of my face. Colors are a little washed out and the headphone sound could be louder, but I am happy with my little purchase. I used it today to watch an episode of Friends on the train and it worked great. Time flew by! I can't wait to catch up on my DVD viewings to and from work, it doesn't make it seem like I'm losing 2.5 hrs a day in commute time now.

For $250 ($218 for the player, and I got the $30 service plan for two years and I guarantee you I'll use it), I think it's a great deal. I see no point in paying more for any other brand, more than likely it's Shinco anyway (Initial, Mintek, etc.).