Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone else underwhelmed with Millar's Wanted?

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 12-16-03, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was mostly looking forward to Wanted, as I'm a fan of Millar's other work on Ultimates, Ultimate X-Men, and Authority, but Wanted just seemed too extreme in every regard - extreme violence, extreme language, extreme powers, extreme problems - that it ultimately pulled me out of the book. I may try the 2nd issue, but as of now, it certainly isn't on my 'must-buy' list.

Anyone else have any comments?

Oh, the best new book for newcomers from last week was H-E-R-O #11, which is a self-contained story about the HERO device being in prehistoric times. Ultimate X-Men #40 was the first part of the "New Mutants" arc and it was fairly decent, though its mostly character and plot set-up. The other book that I thought was particularly worth a mention was Fables #20, though its pt 2 of the current storyline. And I'm glad Dark Days is finally done - the book just doesn't seem worth $4 an issue for 20+ pgs of scrawled art and barely any dialogue (I'm a big fan of both, there just isn't much of either).

Last edited by Liquid Death; 12-16-03 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-16-03, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been soooooo busy with the holidays, work, & finals I haven't had a chance to read most of last weeks books, which is why I didn't post the thread & again there weren't a lot of books out for new readers, but there were a lot of great new books last week. Fables as usually was phenomenal, it's become my favorite monthly & probably the comic i look foward to the most every month.

I did get to read Wanted #1 though. I would say that I wasn't underwhelmed with the book. But that has mostly to do with the fact that I think Millar is one of the most overrated writers in all of comics & J.G. Jones is an artistic god & one of the most UNDERratted artists today. The book was, as what I think Millar's entire career is: Morrison-lite. Millar is just a watered down version of Grant Morrison. I didn't find Wanted to be that extreme, the Filth by Morrison was extreme. That said, Morrison-lite isn't that awful a thing to be. The book had some good lines, & since Jones is doing the art, I'll pick up the rest of the series. However, do to it's publisher I expect to see about 1 issue a year, so I don't have very high hopes for the title.

The best comics of the week thread will return this week.
Old 12-16-03, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, I thought it was rather good.

It is a look at the dark side of the world so I would expect it to be a little more "extreme" than most books out there. The writing and art worked for me.