Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

New Dvd Player Recommendations

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 12-13-03, 12:06 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Afternoon,
Since I have not had any responses from my previous thread, i thought i would go about it in a different way.

I just purchased a Hitachi 57T500 and I need a new DVD player to go along with it. I currently have a Sony DVPS7001 (I THINK THAT IS THE MODEL NUMBER.) I bought it over 3 years ago and I have had no problems whatsoever with it. The only problem is the player does not have Progressive Scan which I would like to have on my next player.

I spent a ton of money on my last player (even with the discount i recieved from Circuit City) and now i see prices that barely hit 150.00 in stores like Circuit City, Bestbuy and HHGREGG.

My wife and I have agreed we will set aside 300.00 plus cables for a DVD player.

So with saying that,

My big questions are the following:

1. Should I look to get a player that has the Faroudja's DCDI de-interlacing technology?

2. What are the forum's opinions on the Samsung DVD-HD931?, this unit caught my eye at Best Buy the other day due to the price and the DVI capabilities.

3. Which brand or brands would you recommend I stick with along with model numbers?

If you can help me make this purchase, by helping me with answers to my questions, i would really appreciate it.

COACH.
Old 12-13-03, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not totally familiar with the model numbers of the Hitachi line but I'll give you my opinion on what I do know. I do know that Hitachi does not display 480p native so in my opinion you'll be wasting your money on a high end player with the Faroudja chip since the TV will be converting it to 540p or 1080i anyway. Since the TV does this you might be better off with a player like the Samsung or Bravo that will scale to 1080i through DVI. You might find that the player does a better job at scaling than the TV does. Now if you didn't have a cap on your spending I'd say to get the new Denon 5900 that scales and has the Faroudja chip in it but it's about $2000 I think.
Old 12-14-03, 12:33 AM
Cool New Member

I guess I have been away for awhile because I am not sure what you were saying about what Hitachi does not do...lol Are you saying that the Samsung HD931 would give me the best picture quality with what TV I have?

tHANKS
Old 12-15-03, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Samsung HD931 is one option that scales, but there are more. www.avsforum.com has a ton of suggestions for DVD players that will scale normal DVD's to 1080i through DVI or Component inputs. The only issue is Macrovision (MV).

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=331797

Start here. This is a very comprehensive thread about all the 1080i options out there. Ways to hack past MV, with certian players. But for 100-300$ you can get one of these, which is basically a cheap DVD player with next generation performance. Favorably compared to many HTPC's out there. One of these babies and a DVD-Burner will allow you to watch all your movie in HighDef. Here are the brands discussed (ebay is the best place to find these players).

Momitsu
Dreamx
NeuNeo
Bravo
Lite-On
Elta
Woxter

The key being a Sigma 8500 machine, which is what does the 1080i up conversion. Good luck though. I personally just bought a Dreamx ($127 shipped), and if you can wait a few days I'll hook it up to my Sony Projector and compare the differences between it and the $800 Pioneer Elite Prog-Scan (PS) player I've currently got. Just e-mail me and I'll keep you in the loop. I just figured that for $125 bucks I can use this as a bedroom machine or CD-Player if it's crap. It also plays MPEG-4 video (Tivo compresion) so if you download a bunch of DIVX movies this is a great option, you can burn them on CD and watch in close to DVD quality.
Old 12-15-03, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I highly recommend that Pioneer 563A.. I just got my new Toshiba 57" HDTV and I picked up the 563A.. Its great, it does all burned DVDs you can throw at it, plays DVD-Audio discs and SACD's... Can be had for $180 and its great. Reviews have been great for it, "Best Bang for the Buck" is its catch phrase... It doesnt have teh Faroudja's but its great so far... I picked mine up on sale for $150
Old 12-15-03, 07:55 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks for everybodys input to my search for a new DVD player.
Rel 77 , where did you purchase that Pioneer?
Old 12-16-03, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by OHBALLCOACH

Rel 77 , where did you purchase that Pioneer?
Best Buy actually... It was on sale last week and I had the prefered customer 10% off coupons... Came down to $170-10% = $153... Its great, I finally played a DVD-A disk and was totally amazing last night, sounded awsome.
Old 10-23-05, 05:23 AM
Banned

How's the Neuneo? I just saw an ad on this site...was wondering if it was even worth it. It's the first player i've seen that upconverts to 1080p.
Old 10-23-05, 11:53 AM

I got this little gem for 200.00 bucks. If you have a HD set that has hdmi or dvi you can get 1080i or 720p from dvd. It scored 94 right under a 4 grand denon. Watching toy story in HD was breathtakeing. It does what you need with a code you type in. Here is the links.

http://www.oppodigital.com/

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-...ch&articles=122

http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php...%3D1%26k%3Doppo

Copy and pasted it from the other thread..
Old 10-24-05, 11:08 AM
Banned

none of your links worked. are you talking about the oppo? Sorry, i'm not dealing with audio sync issues.