Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Any info on U2 CD in 04?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Any info on U2 CD in 04?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-03, 06:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any info on U2 CD in 04?

Has anyone heard anything about a new U2 album in 04? On my way to work today the radio station said they had info for U2 fans and that U2 would be releasing a new album titled "Solar" on March 9th 2004. I haven't been able to find any info on this to back it up. Anyone heard anything?
Old 12-11-03, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
in the computer at work today while searching for u2 i say an entry titled u2 04. i believe it is true.
Old 12-12-03, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

An album is definitely coming in the first half of the year but as for the date I cannot confirm that. Supposedly a tour will take place as well.
Old 12-12-03, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Last thing I heard was late February. But we all know how easily these dates can be pushed back. For what its worth, Bono and Edge both have said this is their best effort to date.
Old 12-12-03, 09:31 AM

Originally posted by Tommy_Harn
For what its worth, Bono and Edge both have said this is their best effort to date.
Don't take this personally, but isn't this what artists always say? ("No, actually, we think this doesn't quite measure up to the last album.")

Still, looking forward to the new album and won't make the mistake again of missing them on tour.
Old 01-11-04, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's great to hear how excited they are about the new album, especially the comments about the Edge doing the best guitar work of his life - and yes, even Edge said recently after ATYCLB that he did not think he played guitar that well the last couple of albums... (what's he been smoking?)
Old 01-11-04, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Tommy_Harn
For what its worth, Bono and Edge both have said this is their best effort to date.
They said the exact same thing for ATYCLB. And it ended up being one of their worst recordings. I really hope they do something super bizarre on the next one to make up for the marginal music and lyrics of All That.
Old 01-11-04, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

U2 did not solicit the producing help of Daniel Lanois for this newest recording... that will end up being their biggest mistake.
Old 01-11-04, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I actually thought ATYCLB was one of their best outings. Funny.

I'm glad they are going new directions with their music.
Old 01-12-04, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts
Actually, I'm looking forward to hearing Chris Thomas' (Sex Pistols, INXS, Roxy Music, Pretenders) production on the album. I think he will bring them something new...
Old 01-12-04, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Don't forget 'The Beatles' in Chris Thomas' experience. I think it's great!
Old 01-16-04, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Kerborus
I actually thought ATYCLB was one of their best outings. Funny.

I'm glad they are going new directions with their music.
I loved ATYCLB...just about as much as I love listening to the riffs from the songs on their first albums.

As for the new album, I have heard q1 '04 as well and there definitely will be a tour. Unfortunately all we're getting are "teasers" from our radio folks because, well, they don't really know enough yet, either.
Old 01-16-04, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

From Interference.com
http://forum.interference.com/t86930.html

Exclusive: Don't Believe the U2 Album Hype!

Interference.com has just received the following message from Regine Moylett of RMP London, U2's PR agency, in response to the various rumors about the title, tracklisting, release date and so forth of U2's next album:

"There are no announcements planned for the immediate future."

UPDATE FROM PRINCIPLE MANAGEMENT JAN. 15, 2004

As further confirmation that the album will not released in March, and that a single is not due in the immediate future, we got an email from Principle Management's Cecilia Coffey:

Quote:
Interference.com wrote:
Hi Cecilia,

I've heard there will be a new U2 single within the next two weeks, and a new album released in March.

Any truth to either?

Joel

Quote:
Cecilia Coffey replied:
Not true..............

Interference.com has received no further official conformation about any of the details surrounding U2's next album, which could arrive as late as winter, but stay tuned for more updates.
Old 01-17-04, 10:08 AM

Here's a quote from Bono that was on live television last night:

"Our next album will be so f*#king brilliant that all you motherf*#kers out there will want to f*#k the little hole in the middle of the f*#kng CD.....f*#k!"
Old 01-17-04, 01:03 PM
Banned

Old 01-17-04, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In the new issue of Entertainment Weekly it said "later this year" would be the release date, so March/Spring is not going to happen.
Old 02-10-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

From Interference.com

(02-09-2004) Steve Lillywhite To Produce Next U2 Album - Billboard *

Steve Lillywhite To Produce Next U2 Album

Mercury U.K. joint managing director Steve Lillywhite has left his role with the label to return to his roots in record production. Lillywhite tells Billboard.biz he will take no time off and will begin producing an album by U2 next week. The as-yet-untitled set is due from Interscope/Island later this year.

"It's the first time I'll have gone in to actually start a record with them in 20 years," says Lillywhite. "I worked on 'The Joshua Tree,' 'Achtung Baby' and 'All That You Can't Leave Behind,' but this will be the first time I've really set up the mikes and done everything for a long time."

Lillywhite also oversaw the band's first two albums, 1980's "Boy" and 1981's "October." He adds, "I've heard some great songs. The Edge is playing some really great guitar."

The new U2 album will be the follow-up to 2000's "All That You Can't Leave Behind," which debuted at No. 3 on The Billboard 200 and has sold 4.1 million copies in the U.S., according to Nielsen SoundScan. The set was named best rock album at the 2001 Grammys and placed three tracks in the top-10 of Billboard's Modern Rock Tracks airplay chart: "Beautiful Day" (No. 5), "Elevation" (No. 8) and "Walk On" (No. 10).

Lillywhite, one of Britain's top rock producers, has a list of credits that includes the Rolling Stones, Talking Heads, Peter Gabriel, Morrissey and the Dave Matthews Band. In 2002, he was brought to Universal U.K. by chairman/CEO Lucian Grainge.

"I've had two great years, and I've loved a lot of it," says Lillywhite, "but really I wasn't that made out for getting up early in the morning. That's 25 years of producing records. I got more and more of an urge to be in the studio, so Lucian and I had a chat and decided it was best that I return to that."

http://forum.interference.com/t88103.html