DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Jurassic Park Trilogy DTS ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-03, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jurassic Park Trilogy DTS ??

I just got JP Trilogy (red & silver box) from DDD.com
Is JP 1 & 2 in DTS???

All the web sites i've looked at say yes..
but the back of the box only has JP 3 listed as DTS.

and JP 1 & 2 have the same catalog #'s that my JP 1 & 2 set have.....

so should I open it up & test or ship it back...

thankz
Old 12-11-03, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There were separate releases for the first two films. A DD version and separate DTS version. I'm pretty sure the trilogy box only comes with the DD versions of the first two films. JP3 has both DD and DTS on the same disc.
Old 12-11-03, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Remember, at least on JP1, the DD track is superior to the DTS. Not all DTS tracks are created equal.
Old 12-11-03, 03:47 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by wfujosh
Remember, at least on JP1, the DD track is superior to the DTS. Not all DTS tracks are created equal.
True. Not all DTS tracks are created equal. Because Universal screwed up the DTS track on the initial pressing of JP1.
Old 12-11-03, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by wfujosh
This only applies to the botched 1st pressing. The 2nd DTS pressing is excellent and definately demo quality.
Old 12-11-03, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep in mind the new DTS pressing is simply extra bass pumped up-- it does not replicate the original theatrical release as the DD version does.
Old 12-11-03, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by DavidH
Keep in mind the new DTS pressing is simply extra bass pumped up-- it does not replicate the original theatrical release as the DD version does.
I've never heard this before. &nbsp AFAIK, the second DTS pressing is just as good as the DD track.
Old 12-11-03, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Deckard-10
I've never heard this before. &nbsp AFAIK, the second DTS pressing is just as good as the DD track.
i'm intrigued about this too... i was under the impression that after they fixed the DTS track from the 1st pressing, it was better than or at least, equal to the DD track...
Old 12-11-03, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not this again!
Old 12-12-03, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by bmello
Not this again!
Agreed.

Summary:

(1) Jp1 first pressing had a bad bass DTS track. DD did not and sounded fine. Hense, DD sounded better then DTS.

(2) New pressing of JP1 DTS is made and fixes the bass problem. Hense DTS sounds good as or better than DD track (depending on HT setup).

(3) That's the history lesson, however the confusion never seems goes away.
Old 12-12-03, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It is known - and a FACT - that Universal simply bumped up the bass up on the new DTS version to "satisfy" fans. Yes, the corrected DTS version has MORE bass than the DD track. (One should note there is a bass management issue/problem with the first DTS release.)

More bass does not neccessarily mean better or even correct to what the original presentation happened to be.

I know I am not the first person on this forum to point this fact out, but it's worth mentioning. This is why I stick with the DD version just as I stick with OAR movies.

If you want the correct theatrical presentation, get the DD version. If you just want more bass, definitely get the corrected DTS version.
Old 12-12-03, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well in this case more bass does mean better. The only thing wrong with the first DTS track was that the bass was too low. So adding more bass did fix it. If the bass wasn't the problem and upping it was all they did it wouldn't be correct. But since that was the problem how can you say that correcting it didn't make it right? I had the first pressing (which I exchanged), but if I turned up the bass level on it, it sounded great- just like the fixed copy does.
Old 12-12-03, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DavidH:

I agree. It is a known FACT that Universal kicked up the bass on the 2nd DTS pressing of JP1. Its also a known FACT that the 1st pressing was authored wrong - the bass was set too low.

Seems like we are in violent agreement here.

And no the whole Bass Management issue that HTF's Vince Maskeeper kept harping on was wrong. The bass was authored too low. A comparison of the digital audio tracks CLEARLY showed this.

Bass mangament is important - however turning up ones low frequency volume to compensate for one single title obvioulsy shows that something is wrong with the disc and not the hardware setup.
Old 12-12-03, 11:55 AM

funny how only 1 post answers my question....
Old 12-12-03, 12:08 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

What the hell do you expect when you ask a question that has "DD" and "DTS" in it?

Old 12-12-03, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by ds6161
Your question was answered in the first reply.

Another DVDTalker asked a related question and that is why we are having this discussion.

Why is that funny?
Old 12-13-03, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The DD version had the correct bass all along. It is known to be correct according to the ORIGINAL theatrical track. Yes, the first DTS pressing was too low; the second pressing too much. Just because more bass is added doesn't make the track correct.
Choose which version you like --- or choose which version is correct. This issue is similar to OAR.

Last edited by DavidH; 12-13-03 at 12:10 AM.
Old 12-13-03, 04:25 AM

Since we started a DD vs. DTS war, I thought that I would chime in with this.

GO DTS!!!! DTS RULES!!!!

Just kidding.
Old 12-13-03, 05:45 PM

what about the lost world? how do they compare on that movie?
Old 12-13-03, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The DD version had the correct bass all along. It is known to be correct according to the ORIGINAL theatrical track. Yes, the first DTS pressing was too low; the second pressing too much. Just because more bass is added doesn't make the track correct.
Choose which version you like --- or choose which version is correct. This issue is similar to OAR.
You keep spewing this "it's a fact" and "it is known to be correct according to the ORIGINAL theatrical track" but where is this supposed fact/proof coming from. If you base it on goofs such as Maskeeper (from HTF) then you are so far away from facts it's pitiful! That person has been shown to NOT know what he's talking about so many times it not funny!

Please post a link from Universal that backs up your claim. Otherwise it just looks like another anti-DTS poster posting supposed facts that have no basis in reality!
Old 09-09-04, 04:57 PM
Cool New Member

I was thinking about ordering the JP 1 (DTS) release from Amazon.com or (most probably from) Digitaleyes.

WHICH version do they currently ship?

I must be 100% sure that I'm getting the corrected one BECAUSE they do not offer the replacements for international customer (I'm from Latvia) - I won't beable to replace it, and I don't want to stick with the "bad" one.
Old 09-09-04, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
fuel to the fire...

Wasn't Jurassic Park the first DTS movie in theaters? So how could a DD version be the correct version anyway?
Old 09-10-04, 02:12 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I guess when JP DVD first came out, not many people had dts capable equipment. So the general public would go for the DD version.
Old 09-10-04, 02:27 AM
Cool New Member

Another question, do you have the "corrected" version in the local stores in U.S. and/or Canada? I mean, NOT web-stores, but the ones you can go to and check out the disc before you buy it.
Old 09-10-04, 03:26 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah. I bought one from a local store last year and it's the corrected version. But I didn't bust the case open and check the disc while inside the store before I bought it though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.