Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

La Finestra di Fronte (2 dvd) -12/23

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-03, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

La Finestra di Fronte (2 dvd) won (quite)a few David and Donatello awards in Italy and the dvd is set to have English subs. I have not seen it so maybe MDM could tell us more....(since he is Italian).

here's the pre-oder info:
http://www.dvdland.it/details.asp?pr...22&cat=4&path=

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 12-19-03 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-11-03, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...ahh... La Finestra di Fronte... ahh!...
(...note the original title's sly reference to a certain director's almost like-titled film...)

Italian Cinema Lives!!!

. . . . . .
Old 12-11-03, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

well now.....this is getting better and better.....

I shall be picking this one up .....together with Michele Placido's Un Viaggio Chiamato Amore (which is currently on sale). MDM or Hendrik- have you guys seen this one....some of the reviews are not so good but....I want to give it a shot!!!
Old 12-11-03, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...well... haven't seen it, but here's a very positive Italian review* of "Un Viaggio..."

* ...sorry, only found Italian reviews, none in English...

. . . . . .
Old 12-11-03, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've seen it (the English title is called "Facing Windows"). A bit conventional in that it is another movie with Holocaust theme, but VERY well-done. Excellent acting and pacing, and I liked the fact that none of the characters were perfect. Also lots of emphasis on food (like all other Oztepek films).

I'm a bit baffled that this wasn't the film to be submitted by Italy for Best Foreign Film. It is easily one of the strongest recent Italian films I've seen. Highly recommended.
Old 12-11-03, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

very well then......I had made up my mind on La Finestra....as the European press has had some quite nice things to say about it....but was not sure about Un Viaggio.....

these will make a nice Christmas present for Pro-Bassoonist
Old 12-12-03, 07:17 AM

hey pro-bassonist, I can't abandon DVDtalk for one day that you're suddenly buying the wrong movie at the wrong place: dvd.it has La finestra di fronte ready to ship and overall is much more reliable than dvdland.
The roman Turk Ozpetek has many fans, alas I think he's quite overrated, but if you like stories with a twist, then you could like this one and Le Fate ignoranti too.
The best italian movies I have seen in 2003 are
Predimi l'anima directed by Roberto Faenza
Il cuore altrove directed by Pupi Avati
Ricordati di me directed by Gabriele Muccino
though the one I prefer isn't on DVD still Il Miracolo as for the rest I sincerely recommend to stay away from movies directed by Michele Placido.

My Collection
Old 12-12-03, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

MDM,

I believe that the shipping and handling to the States makes DVD.IT much more expensive than dvdland, no? At least that was the case before, I will check again.

Thank you for the other recommendations as well. I already own Ricordati di me- absolutely 10 out of 10 for me (in fact I liked it much more than The Last Kiss- the other G.M film).
The other two films I have not seen- which one would you say is closer in style to Ricordati di me? Predmi l'anima looks pretty interesting. If you are aware of something else that resembles the style or Ricordati will you please mention it to me?
Modern Italian drama and contemporary settings are what I would prefer (ughhh....hope this does not sound too boring to you....).

Thank's again and have a nice weekend!!

ps
I could not tell so....is the DVD.IT listing also for the double dvd set or is this an earlier single edition? DVDLand indicates 2dvd set........

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 12-12-03 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-12-03, 10:34 AM

pro-bassonist:

of course I'm unaware of matters related to shipping to the US, but you should know that if you subscribe to dvd.it's newsletter you'll get every week a 5/50 coupon or some other promotional offer. Have a great weekend you too!
and unlock that collection??

My Collection
Old 12-15-03, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

mdm67-

This weekend I was able to find trailers for most every films you mentioned in your previous post over at www.zapster.it Interesting site with some nice info. One film- Luce dei miei occhi (2001)- appears to be what I would like a lot (or so I think, but the dvd does not have English subs.

So, I would like to ask one more time- has there been anything close in style to Ricordati di me that has been released recently? Please suggest something...I would like to place an order rather soon and since I bought this film (almost a month and a half ago) I fell in love with it....

if you need more info as to what genre I am referring to please let me know......
Old 12-15-03, 10:54 AM

pro-bassonist:
I'm in a hurry now, I'll post tomorrow, but unlock that collection!!
Old 12-15-03, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

mdm,

I will, once I get back to Chicago. I am away from home at this point- I am writing my Ph.D document (and teach) so I have only a portion of my collection with me.

During the summer I started an inventory of my discs....and never completed it I hope to enter them in the system soon.
Old 12-16-03, 03:00 AM

pro-bassonist:

so you liked "Ricordati di me" and you want something like that. It's not that simple, furthermore some titles who could fit your taste aren't available on DVD or haven't eng subs. I've selected a few titles dealing with family matters while giving a hint of the italian society, at least this is the way I understand Muccino's work. Firts of all I've selected films that in my opinion are good films.
La Forza del Passato this was the first effort by Piergiorgio Gay - it's pronounced like "guy", please - and had the honor to be presented last year at Venice's Mostra - alas no eng subs here
Volesse il cielo by Vincenzo Salemme, if you like neapolitan comedy this could be really good, once again no eng subs.
One more movie with a southern flavour is L'anima gemella by Sergio Rubini, no eng subs, but since all this DVD's come very cheap, you could use the extra money to pay an italian teacher
and here we come to one of the best of this lot Il più bel giorno della mia vita by Cristina Comencini
here is the best of the lot and it has eng subs too!! L'ora di religione by Marco Bellocchio, this one should have been Italy's candidate to the Oscar last year.
One more good movie with eng subs is Casomai by Alessandro D'alatri, this one is really good if you love the Muccino style.
Roberta Torre's Angela is very good but comes without subs.
Though much different from the acclaimed "Bread and Tulips" Soldini's Brucio nel vento is a solid effort. And to the end of this list we come with Ligabue's Da zero a dieci not good as Radiofreccia but it has eng subs.
That's all, I hope I've been useful to you pro-bassonist and to everyone interested into a good selection of recent italian films.

My Collection
Old 12-16-03, 05:06 AM

roberto faenza is a teacher of mine
Old 12-16-03, 05:34 AM

what do you study, ariannasp?
please tell your teacher this is the best holocaust film I've ever seen. F*** Polanski!!

My Collection
Old 12-16-03, 08:12 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
(Talk about not timely): Sony Pictures Classics is releasing the film theatrically here in the states tentatively on June 11th 2004. Just thought I would pass the word.
Old 12-16-03, 12:50 PM

I study political science.Faenza teaches "Sociologia della comunicazione"...an interestig exam.he shows us movies too...this year the subject is: neorealismo.now I know that he's taking a movie.
Old 12-17-03, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Mdm,

Thank you for the suggestions. Some of them...I have seen the trailers....and in fact am quite familiar with- Angela (my brotheer has the MK2 version), Casomai......though S.Rubini's L'anima Gemella i haven't seen/heard of.

I believe that a total of 3 movies have really caught my attention so far and I will be placing an order in the next week or so. I have a rather big order coming from France as well so we'll see how things will balance out.

I am going to attempt and load up my collection into dvdprofiler including the most recent discs I have bought. Worst case scenario when I get back to Chicago next Wednesday I will print out a spreadsheet for you.

Old 12-19-03, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

one last question before I place an order-

mdm,
I saw Rosa e Cornelia at home in Chicago and just found out that it is indeed available on dvd. Do you know if there are English subs on it...I could not find anywhere (most sites do not list anything....)

Dvdland. lists only Italian but it also indicates that this release is a pre-roder....with other words I dont find their info "that" reliable.

Thank you.
Old 12-20-03, 02:26 AM

it's not a bad movie - pro-bassonist: but no eng subs
btw, I already told you DVDland is unreliable, the DVD is in stores.

My Collection

Last edited by mdm67; 12-20-03 at 02:28 AM.
Old 12-20-03, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

o, well. Thank you for the ifno. I will have my collection info for you by the end of next week.

Have a great weekend,
PB
Old 01-24-04, 12:06 AM
Suspended

How much dvdland.it ended up charging you for shipping (i am assuming you chose dvdland)to the U.S?
Old 01-24-04, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

4.99 euros.....the disc came well-wrapped in protective plastic case. It took the package a total of 2 weeks to arrive to Chicago.
Old 03-16-04, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

out of curiosity....

On the second disc with the extras halfway through the pilot trailer I am curious to find out who's the singer that performs the song?....bits of it could be heard through out the film as well....last year I thought that it was Elisa...but I am not so sure anymore....

Chrees,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 03-16-04 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-23-04, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Looks like Sony is finally going to offer La Finestra di Fronte in the US...

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony/facing_windows.html

Better late than never!!!

Pro-B

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.