Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

A tale to two sisters....

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-03, 08:26 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to Trigger's thread, I ordered this film. it's quite good except I don't think I understand it. Can somebody explain the whole story, it is very confusing.
Old 12-10-03, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah... Pretty much what he said...
Old 12-10-03, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...you'll find a few - possibly helpful - reviews here...

. . . . . .
Old 01-21-04, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think someone should edit this thread title to say that it has spoilers in it.

That said, my post is spoilerific.

When I first watched this I didn't know how I felt about it. I was pissed that I had figured out atleast 1/3 of it within the first 2 minutes of the movie through what was going on onscreen and because the cover of the DVD case, if you look hard enough, gives away way too much IMO. I was glad that I hadn't figured out everything, which I think is impossible, before the "twists" had happened.

The only importance of the cupboard is that it is atleast where Su-Yeon had died. I think it is up for debate whether the mother was really in the cupboard when it fell on Su-Yeon, or if it was her imagining it. IMO the mother had died before Su-Yeon did so I think it is her fear that makes her think that her mother is in there with her. The mother may have in fact killed herself in the cupboard (or died of her illness elsewhere in the house.)

Basically my take on the story is that Su-mi comes home from the psychiatric hospital to live with her father. Su-Yeon is a product of her imagination now since she had died under the cupboard (and most likely Su-mi feels guilty about being so close to her yet not knowing she was dying in the next room). When she comes home she is also imagining the "Step Mother" who IMO isn't really married to the father (Su-mi also blames her for both her mother's death and Su-Yeon's), she is still seeing him, but due to Su-mi coming home I think the father thought it best if she wasn't around until Su-mi got more comfortable. That is who the father is always talking to on the phone. The real person shows up at the end of the movie.

Now the part that I have trouble with in the movie is that not only are half the people on screen imagined, but there is also the supernatural element of Su-Yeon's ghost haunting the house. I think the ghost of the mother was imagined by Su-mi in her bedroom, but Su-Yeon's ghost is proven as real by the people who come and have dinner that one night. The woman sees the ghost of Su-Yeon under the kitchen sink when she fell to the floor. The ghost is wearing the green dress seen in the picture of Su-yeon in her bedroom later in the movie, that is what shows that it is Su-Yeon's ghost. IMO adding in the supernatural element confused matters even more and that is what makes this movie hard to understand on initial viewing.

I do like this movie. I think it is shot beautifully and everyone is great in it. I think it might be a bit too confusing though. Atleast it makes you think about it long after you have seen it.
Old 01-22-04, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay, I've only seen the movie once, but I feel like I understood it fairly well. The end got pretty confusing though, and it was hard to tell what was real, what was imagined, and what was a flashback. I just have one question: *SPOILERS*

The scene were the stepmother is apparently attacked by the mother's ghost that comes out of the closet, was that part real or was that just in Su-mi's imagination?
Old 01-22-04, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Joe Molotov
.... was that part real or was that just in Su-mi's imagination?
I think that was supposed to be real.