Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Mike Scott and the Waterboys...

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-03, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, it was Mike Scott and ONE Waterboy!

I just saw them last night at Berklee Performance Center in Boston, and I would have to say this ranks up there with the greatest concerts I've seen. It seems that fiddler Steve Wickham had a minor operation and couldn't make the trip over from Ireland, so it was just Mike and his piano player. The piano player was unbelievable, and Mike's voice and acoustic guitar just resonated through the hall----I still can't believe they got such a full sound from just two guys. I've loved them since the beginning, but I also think that his songwriting has been really consistent throughout the 90's with his solo albums, and also the last couple of Waterboys releases, so I don't really have a favorite era. But I certainly could not complain about the song selection, which included:

Life of Sundays
When Ye Go Away
Sweet Thing
Fisherman's Blues
Somebody Might Wave Back
Bring 'Em all In
The Christ in You
Don't Bang the Drum

...and a lot of others.

If you're a fan of the Waterboys at all---this show is REALLY amazing. Catch the tour.
Old 12-06-03, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the review... liked this band from day one as well.
Old 12-07-03, 05:56 PM

Will be seeing them Weds. in Milwaukee. I was really looking forward to Steve's fiddle playing but am still looking forward to the show, especially after your review.
Old 12-08-03, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
atlantamoi, after a bunch of threads on this forum, I suspect that you and I have very similar music collections .

rockinbrian, have a good time, and let us know how the show was.
Old 12-08-03, 07:54 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts
I should have went to see this, as it would have been a good show. I saw them at the Fillmore in SF earlier this year, and loved the show, 1st time I had seen them in concert. Or maybe I saw them in the 80's sometime and don't remember.

I read something about how he tried to go out on his own, aside from the waterboys, however the name brand of the waterboys is what People respond to.
Old 12-09-03, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I find if fascinating that Karl Wallinger (World Party) played 2nd fiddle (well, piano!) in this band. A case could easily be made that he's more creative than Mike Scott.

ky-fi, you can see my collection from the link in my sig... anyone ever want to trade mixes shoot me an email!
Old 12-09-03, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by atlantamoi
I find if fascinating that Karl Wallinger (World Party) played 2nd fiddle (well, piano!) in this band. A case could easily be made that he's more creative than Mike Scott.
I definitely agree with that notion. This Is The Sea is the only Waterboys album I could ever get into, while I enjoy most of the World Party CDs.

Or maybe I just enjoy Beatles-esque pop more than jigs. Still, the concert sounds appealing...