Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Secret Service checks Eminem's 'dead president' lyric

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 12-05-03, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Musi...ics/index.html

Hmmmm.
Old 12-05-03, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh you know the Source is gonna be all over this.
Old 12-05-03, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
No kidding the Source loves Dre and Em.
Old 12-06-03, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Chris Rock did once did a bit on assassinating the President at Comic Relief. The SS asked HBO not to air the joke any more and HBO complied. Seems the SS dont have much of a sense of humor.
Old 12-06-03, 05:46 AM
Cool New Member

Can you imagine if Peter Gabrial's Family Snapshot came out today? He's be hustled to Kennedy for the next flight out in a heartbeat.
Old 12-06-03, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
With so many opressionable youths in our country, I can see why the SS isn't very lenient on lyrics or jokes about killing the president. It only takes a Michael Carneal, Dylan Klebold, or Eric Harris to snap and do something stupid. It just makes their job harder.
Old 12-06-03, 09:55 PM
Banned

Funny how back in the late 1960's when the Vietnam war was at it's peak none of those music stars which are now legends called for the death of the President of the U.S.

And back in the 1940's when Japan bombed Pearl Harbor the entertainment industry stars were enlisting to go to war and not againest it.

Says something about this generation.
Old 12-06-03, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by wm lopez
Says something about this generation.
Well true, I s'pose you do have a point there but still, this is Eminem == Big Yawn. The SS should shut down all his music so no poor soul has to hear it anymore

-Gunshy
Old 12-06-03, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Gunshy
Well true, I s'pose you do have a point there but still, this is Eminem == Big Yawn. The SS should shut down all his music so no poor soul has to hear it anymore
Old 12-06-03, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I happen to like Em's music but sometimes he can really be ignorant of some very well-known rules.
Old 12-07-03, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
So now demos, unfinished and abandoned work product are now fair game for government censorship? Sickening.
Old 12-07-03, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by Jason
So now demos, unfinished and abandoned work product are now fair game for government censorship? Sickening.
You don't get to say you are going to kill the president, end of story, PERIOD. It's not censorship, it's the law, and quite frankly, common f'ing sense.

I love Em's music. He can be a total dolt at times. I like the fact that he pushes the line. But there are somethings that are offlimits, and that's one of them.
Old 12-07-03, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by wfujosh
You don't get to say you are going to kill the president, end of story, PERIOD. It's not censorship, it's the law, and quite frankly, common f'ing sense.
First, the lyric says he'd like to see the President dead, not "I'm going to kill the President". Second, since when is it against the law to hold such a view? A direct threat is one thing, a sentiment is another. Can you name one example of someone being charged with the crime of "wishing the President dead"?
Old 12-07-03, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally posted by Numanoid
First, the lyric says he'd like to see the President dead, not "I'm going to kill the President". Second, since when is it against the law to hold such a view? A direct threat is one thing, a sentiment is another. Can you name one example of someone being charged with the crime of "wishing the President dead"?
And it was not a threat to the sitting president, it was, if anything, a statement that he wanted to see no president at all.

I haven't heard this, but it could well have been an impromptu freesytle rap where he just went from dead presidents to president dead. Hell, after he finished, he may have said, "Damn, I can't say that." We don't know.

If he put it on an official release, I could see people getting upset, but this is nothing.
Old 12-07-03, 10:05 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Numanoid
I think in this situation, the problem is that many of Eminem's fans are very persuadable and have a hard time thinking for themselves (sorry for the stereotyping, but I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks this way). It just takes one such person to get a big head and big idea about doing something stupid to the President. If we were all as smart as the majority of DVD Talkers, we wouldn't have to worry about such trivial things, but unfortunately that isn't how it is. ;-)
Old 12-09-03, 04:52 AM

Originally posted by wfujosh

I love Em's music. He can be a total dolt at times. I like the fact that he pushes the line. But there are somethings that are offlimits, and that's one of them.
Ummm, as I recall, a rapper called PARIS released a song called "Bush Killa" in '93 on his album "Sleeping With The Enemy"

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...=A2dqog40ttvnz

It's still available (just has been re-released, to be exact)....