Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DDD. Is ANYTHING still in stock?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-03, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm compiling a list of DVDs in my shopping cart to buy with the 20% code, and almost every single item is out of stock. Has anyone else had this problem recently? How quickly do titles typically come back in stock?
Old 12-02-03, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,756 Likes on 1,898 Posts
Do they ever have anything in stock?

Seems like everytime I've ordered something, it's been out of stock. Seems pretty normal for them.
Old 12-02-03, 07:53 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Of all the stuff I bought using the coupon, only one was out of stock.
Old 12-02-03, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Out of the 98 DVDs I ordered, DDD had 81 in stock. I think that's pretty good considering the onslaught they must be experiencing now. Additionally, I don't mind the wait for backordered DVDs since they don't charge until the item ships, so (1) my credit card won't get hammered all at once, and (2) I'll have great DVDs trickling in for weeks to come.
Old 12-02-03, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I ordered 4 items (including the new Bond sets) last Friday - they've shipped.

Yesterday I ordered 13 items, and only one (Once Upon a Time in the West) is backordered.

Today I ordered 5 items, and all are in stock.

No problems here.
Old 12-02-03, 10:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Last night I ordered 15 Items - none of them showed as out of stock on the check-out page. When I got the second confirmation this morning - it showed 9 of them as back-ordered.

The only things in-stock were some cheapo discs I threw in for the hell of it (a couple of image 2-packs and a few cheap MGM titles). It wouldn't bug me so much if I didn't pay extra for upgraded shipping - since everything seemed to be in-stock when I ordered. So now the cheap discs are coming Priority Mail and the ones I really wanted are coming Media Mail (Whenever they get them back in stock). I really wish DDD would implement a "hold for complete" option for cases like this or allow you to change/alter an order after it has been placed.

Better yet, why can't they just accurately show what the stock status of an item is (like most other stores)?
Old 12-02-03, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Are they pretty good about getting new stock in before long?
Old 12-02-03, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
Out of the 98 DVDs I ordered, DDD had 81 in stock. I think that's pretty good considering the onslaught they must be experiencing now. Additionally, I don't mind the wait for backordered DVDs since they don't charge until the item ships, so (1) my credit card won't get hammered all at once, and (2) I'll have great DVDs trickling in for weeks to come.
But you don't get the 20% discount if it's not in stock, right?
Old 12-02-03, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You still get it for OOS items but not pre-orders.
Old 12-02-03, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Quatermass
But you don't get the 20% discount if it's not in stock, right?
*Offer valid on currently available DVD's only. Coupons do not apply to orders for pre-release DVD's. Other merchandise, including video games, accessories or electronics are excluded from the sale. Coupon valid from 11/27/03-12/5/03 only. Previous sales are excluded. Prices listed reflect the 20% savings. Coupon my only be used once per customer. Some restrictions apply, see site for details. We reserve the right to limit quantities.
Old 12-02-03, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by abintra
You still get it for OOS items but not pre-orders.
Originally posted by ernestrp
*Offer valid on currently available DVD's only. Coupons do not apply to orders for pre-release DVD's. Other merchandise, including video games, accessories or electronics are excluded from the sale. Coupon valid from 11/27/03-12/5/03 only. Previous sales are excluded. Prices listed reflect the 20% savings. Coupon my only be used once per customer. Some restrictions apply, see site for details. We reserve the right to limit quantities.
It seems like the term "currently available" might be open to interpretation. Since they don't bill until it ships, I was worried they might bill you the price of the item when it becomes available again without the discount. I used one of the coupons and ordered a few things, but I deleted the items that were showing up as out of stock in the shopping cart because I thought this meant they weren't "currently available".
I'll place another order using a different code to order the stuff that I know is backordered and see what happens.
Old 12-02-03, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Man, they must be getting slammed. I've been trying to complete my order for about 45 minutes now. I either get errors or the page won't load. I got to the final checkout page once, but then the coupon wasn't applied. It's getting pretty frustrating. Guess I'll try again in the wee hours of the morning.

To be on-topic, only one of the 6 potential DVDs is listed as OOS ("Best of Will Ferrell").

Last edited by DJLinus; 12-02-03 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-02-03, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by DJLinus
Guess I'll try again in the wee hours of the morning.
Good luck - I worked late last night and tried to place an order several times between approximately Midnight and 3 A.M, with no luck. I finally managed to get the order through around 4:00, but even then the site was at almost a complete standstill - I think I just got lucky.

Last edited by Roy28; 12-02-03 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-02-03, 09:52 PM

I just wish their search engine would work more often than 1 in 10 tries. As much fun as browsing through all their pages can be...
Old 12-02-03, 11:17 PM

skimmed through the thread, but do you still pay the discounted price if item's out of stock?
Old 12-02-03, 11:18 PM

EDIT: ^^^ good question!

So can anyone confirm that the 20% discount applies to out of stock items?
Old 12-03-03, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by caiman
EDIT: ^^^ good question!

So can anyone confirm that the 20% discount applies to out of stock items?
Several orders I placed with out of stock items had the 20% discount applied. I don't see that being a problem. The coupon restrictions made no mention that an item had to be in stock, only that it wasn't valid on pre-orders.
Old 12-03-03, 10:48 AM

If you put in a pre-order, the shopping cart doesn't reflect the 20% discount. If you put in a backordered item, it does show the 20% discount, so I think you'll be ok on the backorders.
Old 12-03-03, 10:58 AM

how is DDD with backorders?
has anyone ever experienced it
I mean will take another 2-3 months, should I even bother?
Old 12-03-03, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by syphon00
how is DDD with backorders?
has anyone ever experienced it
I mean will take another 2-3 months, should I even bother?
From my past experience with DDD it could take several weeks to get backordered items in stock, maybe longer with this sale. If you don't have the patience to wait then I suggest not placing an order.
Old 12-03-03, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

DVDs on hand definitely seem to be drying up at DDD. In my previous orders only only 17 out of 98 were on backorder. On today's order 7 out of 10 were.
Old 12-03-03, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
out of 98
Old 12-03-03, 05:38 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by LASERMOVIES
From my past experience with DDD it could take several weeks to get backordered items in stock, maybe longer with this sale. If you don't have the patience to wait then I suggest not placing an order.
Something tells me that if DDD has a bunch of customers waiting until well after the holidays to get their gifts (assuming that the majority of these orders are for gifts), then they very well might be losing a lot of return customers soured by such a wait.
Old 12-03-03, 06:40 PM

I ordered the CC Hitchcock Box yesterday morning. (backordered of course) With free shipping, and the fact they will not bill me until it is ready to ship, do you think they would get this in stock before 12/16? I ask because it will cost me about 72 bucks,and my account only has 80 bucks in it. I REALLY want to get the Alien Quad NOW, but I don;t get paid again until 12/16....I do not want to lose my place in line (or my discount) on the DDD order, so do you think I would be safe?
Old 12-03-03, 07:04 PM

I hate to bump this, but could someone with DDD buying experience please give me some advice? If it would take them more than a couple of weeks to get that box set off of backorder, I would LOVE to run out get the AQ right now!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.