Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Pioneer DV563A

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-03, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pioneer DV563A

I just upgraded my DVD player to a new Pioneer DV-563A multi format player. I replaced a Toshiba SD-2109, actually just moved it up stairs it still works fine, because I wanted to start playing DVD-audio and SACD music. It's connected to my RPTV using the component video out and to my receiver with both digital coax (movies) & 6 channel analog (music). So far it has played every disc I've put in it DVD, DVD-audio, SACD, CD, CD-R with mp3 music & jpeg photos. I don't have a DVD recorder so I haven't checked with any DVD-R discs.
The only thing I don't like is the players display doesn't show time or chapter while the movie is playing. When the player is turned on it shows the Pioneer message so I know the display is working. If I've missed something in the set up let me know and I'll change it. This is a great player for a great price so this small issue won't keep me from enjoying it.
Greg
Old 12-01-03, 11:40 PM

I have this player. Mine shows time, not sure about chapter (will check tomorrow). I think it does tho. All I know to do is to go thru ALL the different menu stuff and see if it's turned off. Otherwise, it may be a problem, and you may need to exchange it........... Good luck!
Old 12-03-03, 11:27 PM

I have a pioneer 3 disc changer, not sure of the exact model right now, but it plays DVD-Rs really good. I want to find a good player that will play DVD-Rs and DVD+Rs, any suggestions?
Old 12-04-03, 02:56 PM

jdjohnson.........
mine DOES display both chapters and time while playing movies. In Pioneer's menu, under Initial Settings, make sure under Display that "on screen display" is turned on.....

jessebo.......
this Pioneer 563A plays both +R and -R discs. It doesn't mention +Rs in the manual, but everyone that's tried them, said they played without a problem......
Old 12-05-03, 11:29 PM

Thanks for the reply emoxley,
The on screen display feature is on the TV (the blue bar on top) telling you which type of disc is playing and what button has been pushed.
I found out why the display on the player wasn't working and I feel like a fool. On the front of the player, just to the left of the drawer, is a button labled "FL drimmer". Well doh!!! I pushed it and bingo the display lights up. I was so busy trying the find something to do with the remote control and that wasn't where the problem was, oh well live and learn.
Greg
Old 12-06-03, 02:29 PM

Glad you figured it out, and that it wasn't a real problem...............
enjoy!
Old 12-08-03, 01:50 PM

Glad you like our design ...
Award winning player, how can you go wrong?

http://www.time.com/time/techtime/20...ide/audio.html
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...ber=7&preview=
Old 12-08-03, 09:46 PM

breaux124.........
What do you mean,"Glad you like our design?"
Do you work for Pioneer?
Old 12-08-03, 09:51 PM

Here's a great, no nonsense objective review:

Secrets of Home Theater Hifi review
Old 12-10-03, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by emoxley
breaux124.........
What do you mean,"Glad you like our design?"
Do you work for Pioneer?
I work for ST Microelectronics. We sell the internal solution which Pioneer uses. Inside the DV563A is the STi5588 Processor.
Our two main DVD solutions are based on either the 5588 or the 5589. Currently only the DV563A uses the 5588.
The 5589 is in other Pioneer units (DV-363, DV-260)

Last edited by breaux124; 12-10-03 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-10-03, 03:02 PM

Good job.............
Old 12-10-03, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by gotapex
Here's a great, no nonsense objective review:

Secrets of Home Theater Hifi review
This review only concentrates on the Progressive scan output of this unit. The main reason people purchase this unit is for the Audio ability of DVD-Audio and SACD. This is ranked as one of the best sub $400 DVD players with DVD-Audio and SACD together.

Everyone knows the best progressive output is with the Faroudja chipset, but this is also very expensive. Most DVD players with the Faroudja chipset are easily over $250 and that is without bonus features such as SACD or DVD-audio. Even some of the newer digital TVs (Plasma, LCD, DLP) are coming with the Faroudja deinterlacer built in, so it doesn't matter what the progressive scan abilities of your DVD player even are.
Old 12-10-03, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by breaux124
This review only concentrates on the Progressive scan output of this unit. The main reason people purchase this unit is for the Audio ability of DVD-Audio and SACD. This is ranked as one of the best sub $400 DVD players with DVD-Audio and SACD together.

Everyone knows the best progressive output is with the Faroudja chipset, but this is also very expensive. Most DVD players with the Faroudja chipset are easily over $250 and that is without bonus features such as SACD or DVD-audio. Even some of the newer digital TVs (Plasma, LCD, DLP) are coming with the Faroudja deinterlacer built in, so it doesn't matter what the progressive scan abilities of your DVD player even are.
Very true, that review only concentrates on progressive picture quality.

However, having a Faroudja deinterlacer in your display is never as good as having one in your DVD player. Also, the quality of the mpeg decoder makes a difference, not just the deinterlacer.
Old 12-10-03, 05:52 PM

Very true, that review only concentrates on progressive picture quality.

However, having a Faroudja deinterlacer in your display is never as good as having one in your DVD player. Also, the quality of the mpeg decoder makes a difference, not just the deinterlacer.
Actually if you're using a DVI connector then it doesn't matter where the deinterlacer is. We have some DVD players which use an external Faroudja FLI2200 daughter card, which is internal to the DVD unit. The daughter card is basically a faroudja deinterlacing circuit with a DVI input. So these units can display both progressive and interlaced at the same time.

The MPEG decoder does make a difference. You can test the quality of the Pioneer MPEG decoder (5588 chipset) against most other chipsets. ST Microelectronics is the #1 MPEG decoder manufacturer in the world, most of the Set-top (DirectTV, Dish, Ecostar, Scientific Atlanta, Motorola, etc) boxes use an ST MPEG decoder chipset (I believe over 70% marketshare).

I realize my opinion is bias, but I do have lots of first hand experience with DVD players and Digitial Device. We do lots of quality comparisons with other devices.
Old 12-10-03, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by breaux124
Actually if you're using a DVI connector then it doesn't matter where the deinterlacer is. We have some DVD players which use an external Faroudja FLI2200 daughter card, which is internal to the DVD unit. The daughter card is basically a faroudja deinterlacing circuit with a DVI input. So these units can display both progressive and interlaced at the same time.
Are you sure about that? I could be wrong (and you definitely have more knowledge about this than me), but I would assume the FLI2200 daughtercard would be attached to the mpeg decoder with something closer to SDI than DVI. The mpeg decoder would output 480i through the SDI to the FLI2200 which would then deinterlace it.
Old 12-10-03, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just set mine 563A up tonight, but dont have a DVD-A to test. I connected all the RCA's to the 5.1 Input on my Sony Reciever, when I play a DVD-A or SACD, do I just select Multi-Chan Direct on my reciever, and it does the rest??
Old 12-10-03, 10:41 PM

yes...........it should be ok.
Not familiar with Sony's terminology. On my JVC, I select Multi DVD.........
Sounds the same.

BTW........
Make sure you're setup for dvd audio in your Pioneer's setup menus.
Old 12-11-03, 10:23 AM

Are you sure about that? I could be wrong (and you definitely have more knowledge about this than me), but I would assume the FLI2200 daughtercard would be attached to the mpeg decoder with something closer to SDI than DVI. The mpeg decoder would output 480i through the SDI to the FLI2200 which would then deinterlace it.
We refer to it as DVP (Digital Video Port).
The daughter card is connected to main board via a connector. The connector is made up of: YUV (8bit), HSYNC, VSYNC, Clock, and reset.