Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anchor Bay & their deceptive limited editions-- Herzog Kinski box coming out again!!?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Anchor Bay & their deceptive limited editions-- Herzog Kinski box coming out again!!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-03, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anchor Bay does it again with their deceptive advertising. I bought 2 of these for re-sale seeing that it was limited to only 5,000 units, and now see it will be re-released. Amazon , dvd empire and many others have it coming out in 2 months. They did this with Army of Darkness as well with their "bootleg" edition. They always seem to find loopholes with so-called limited editions. I know some of you are going to attack me for the phrase "buy for re-sale", but as many have similarly mentioned on this board before... I purchase a few extra to make a little extra cash to buy other films. But Anchor Bay really pisses me off with their deceptive tactics.
Old 11-29-03, 11:56 PM
Banned

Well I guess this only sucks for you.
Old 11-30-03, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Been sold. I guess this could delay or cancel any future releases from them or maybe it will have no effect whatsoever.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=332160
Old 11-30-03, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
It is a terrific boxset and one I would recommend to others that like Herzog's work.

However, when did Limited Edition ever mean anything? The only thing limited about most LE's is the limited number of people that want to buy them.

But, perhaps I missed something. Where did this 5,000 limited set number come from? Anchor Bay usually puts a number on the outside of their boxes as to what number the set is. I see no such number on my box.
Old 11-30-03, 08:10 AM
Banned

So, in your view, Limited Edition should mean that a film will never again be available on DVD? Who benefits from that except people who only buy DVD's as investments? It does not benefit film lovers. It does not benefit DVD producers. I have never liked those who invest in entertainment products for profit. They destroy the product in the long run. Just look at the comic book industry. Investors are one of the main reasons that industry is dead.
Old 11-30-03, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally posted by EPKJ
So, in your view, Limited Edition should mean that a film will never again be available on DVD? Who benefits from that except people who only buy DVD's as investments? It does not benefit film lovers. It does not benefit DVD producers. I have never liked those who invest in entertainment products for profit. They destroy the product in the long run. Just look at the comic book industry. Investors are one of the main reasons that industry is dead.
Not everyone buys those limited editions as an investment for profit. We're just consumers... influenced by "scare-ware". Run out and buy it NOW before the "limited" supply runs out.

Blame the source for these "limited" editions... DVD producers like Anchor Bay.
Old 11-30-03, 08:40 AM
Banned

"Not everyone buys those limited editions as an investment for profit. We're just consumers... influenced by "scare-ware". Run out and buy it NOW before the "limited" supply runs out."

I was responding to the fellow who started the thread. He said that he buys extra copies as an investment. I was addressing only his position.
Old 11-30-03, 09:40 AM

Re: Anchor Bay & their deceptive limited editions-- Herzog Kinski box coming out agai

Originally posted by babka
Anchor Bay does it again with their deceptive advertising. I bought 2 of these for re-sale seeing that it was limited to only 5,000 units, and now see it will be re-released. Amazon , dvd empire and many others have it coming out in 2 months. They did this with Army of Darkness as well with their "bootleg" edition. They always seem to find loopholes with so-called limited editions. I know some of you are going to attack me for the phrase "buy for re-sale", but as many have similarly mentioned on this board before... I purchase a few extra to make a little extra cash to buy other films. But Anchor Bay really pisses me off with their deceptive tactics.
Bad news for you,Great news for movie lovers that don't have this set but want it
Old 11-30-03, 11:16 AM

If you were foolish enough to speculate on any Anchor Bay disk as an investment tool, you were taking a very foolish risk with your money.

History should've told you that was a terrible idea.
Old 11-30-03, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When will people finally learn not to buy DVDs as an investment? Criterions often come back in print ("400 Blows," the Tati films), out of print DVDs often come back in better editions ("Scarface"), and it doesn't mean anything for something to be "limited" (the Costco "Walt Disney Treasures" box set, for example). If you want a safe investment, buy T-bills. If you want to gamble, go to Vegas -- it's probably more fun than hording DVDs, at least.
Old 11-30-03, 02:22 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Here's something else I don't understand: When on earth did you expect this to become profitable? The box set may have been a limited run, but all of the individual films had been available on DVD for a long time, and, in fact, the stand alone version of Nosferatu actually has the English-language version of the film, something the box set does not have. The only reason anyone would have bought the set initially is because they didn't have the stand-alone Herzog/Kinski DVDs, and wanted to get them all in one fell swoop, and probably for a bit cheaper than buying them individually. Now, if you were buying extra boxes for re-sale, that means you'd sell it at a higher price than what you paid for it, in order to make a profit. At that point, people would probably just go out and pick up the inidivdual releases, which would actually give them more material. So I don't really see how another release of the box could be the thing making you lost profit, since it's likely you were never going to make a profit in the first place.
Old 11-30-03, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by Suprmallet
The only reason anyone would have bought the set initially is because they didn't have the stand-alone Herzog/Kinski DVDs, and wanted to get them all in one fell swoop, and probably for a bit cheaper than buying them individually.
I had a few already...but simply wanted the set as well.
Old 11-30-03, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by Suprmallet
Here's something else I don't understand: When on earth did you expect this to become profitable?
well, to answer your question, I sold 5 of these around 6 months ago and made $30 profit on each. $150 for 1 hours worth of work seems pretty profitable to me. I also scored big time on the Army of Darkness 2- dvd "limited" edition 2 years ago. That was selling for $80-$120 back then. So you may want to think over dvds as being a bad investment.
Old 11-30-03, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Personally, I feel for the five people that overpaid you for their sets six months ago (and no, I wasn't one...got mine @ Borders with a 20% off coupon.)
Old 11-30-03, 04:09 PM

If you are a speculator, then don't cry about it not working out for you. That's all we're saying.

If you think the Herzog/Kinski box could dream of matching the popularity of AOD, then again your judgement wasn't sound.

Price = Demand/Supply

With A/B everyone knows now that they rerelease everything at a lower price later so why would anyone pay a premium for anything AB? I believe that the same will happen with BU who also likes the Ltd Ed BS.

Unless the license is going bye bye, there will almost always be a rerelease.
Old 11-30-03, 04:14 PM

Babka,

I think Walter's point was related to collectors, not sellers.

Which is correct. Collecting DVDs as if they will be worth something (longer term) is a bad premise. Some bigger, better release comes out sooner or later - sometimes in a improved media format.

Collectors should know this. There is no scarcity but that which is dreamed up. Just a bunch of 0's and 1's in a cardboard package. It's not like purchasing real estate or something that has a finite supply.

I take it that since no one has mentioned the box having any "one of 5,000" sets (or the like) - that this was just something someone made up in order to scare up demand. Perhaps I'm wrong.
Old 11-30-03, 04:35 PM

As a movie buff and dvd collector i cannot have any remorse whatsoever for the originator of this thread, I am looking for the best deal i can find to feed my addiction to movies and people like you are counter productive to my goal of buying titles at the lowest possible price, and as far as i am concerned people who buy multiple titles to sell at a great profit and then get burned by a re-release of the title deserve everything they get.In fact i am happy as hell when something like that happens,because it saves me and countless thousands of movie lovers a lot of money. I have always believed that this site was for movie buffs and dvd collectors to discuss movies and deals that they can get on movies and information on movies and dvd's so if you are looking to a shoulder to cry on my shoulder is not avalible
Old 12-01-03, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And just to add a note - what do you think LIMITED EDITION means? It means, AND ONLY MEANS that this particular EDITION is LIMITED, not that there will be no future editions.
Look at art - there are limited edition prints, and posters. Both have exactly the same art, but the LE is a limited printing. Limited edition books don't preclude the publication of the same material in a different edition...
Old 12-01-03, 11:58 AM
Banned

"well, to answer your question, I sold 5 of these around 6 months ago and made $30 profit on each. $150 for 1 hours worth of work seems pretty profitable to me. I also scored big time on the Army of Darkness 2- dvd "limited" edition 2 years ago. That was selling for $80-$120 back then. So you may want to think over dvds as being a bad investment."

DVD's are not an investment. They are an entertainment medium. If you want to buy them as investments, do so. But, don't create lies about Anchor Bay because they caused your investment to go bad. They don't owe you a profit.
Old 12-01-03, 12:30 PM

I bought 2 of these for re-sale seeing that it was limited to only 5,000 units,
Damn Philipers.
Old 12-01-03, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"Limited Edition" means absolutely nothing. An investment can go up or down, get used to it!
Old 12-01-03, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I bought 2 of these for re-sale seeing that it was limited to only 5,000 units
I sold 5 of these around 6 months ago and made $30 profit on each.
Bought 2 and sold 5? Did the original two breed?
Old 12-01-03, 01:29 PM

DVD's are not an investment. They are an entertainment medium.
Well somebody's invested in them. After all, studios don't buy the rights and then mass-produce them for sale out of some charitable impulse...
Old 12-01-03, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by celluloidwisdom
Well somebody's invested in them. After all, studios don't buy the rights and then mass-produce them for sale out of some charitable impulse...
Yes, investing money in a studio such as MGM is an investment. Other than that your point is ...
Old 12-01-03, 04:09 PM

I'll take a contrary view, but from the buyer's perspective, not the seller's:

Anchor Bay was very clear that The Herzog/Kinski Collection box set (Retail: $79.98) was an edition limited to 5,000 units. Now, if someone really loved these films but came late to the game, they had to take Anchor Bay at their word, and assume that there would be no new production runs on the set. So, there were two basic options for the Herzog/Kinski lover: buy the individual releases of all six films (total retail price: $184.88) or head to EBay, and pay the going rate on the box ($90-100).

Amazon has the box set listed for re-release on 2/10/04--the exact same "Limited Edition" packaging and specs.

As a buyer, I would be livid at this deceptive advertising if I'd just purchased this set for over a hundred bucks on Ebay. On the face of it, it appears that Anchor Bay has acted in bad faith, has lied to consumers, and has set a terrible precedent.

I think babka's outrage is justified, and I'm surprised that members of this board have seen fit only to attack the messenger, and not the message.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.