Planet of the Apes

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Planet of the Apes

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-03, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Planet of the Apes

anyone ever watch this series? I'm finally watching the dvds I bought a couple years ago. not bad, kind of a standard 70s "drifter helps the locals" kind of show, at least so far (I'm 5 episodes in)

there is a continuity issue though. I've seen 2 dogs so far, and all the cats and dogs were killed in the plague before the apes could talk.
and either Zaius moved from the east coast to the west coast (possible in the 10 years that has taken place) or there is another error

Last edited by mikehunt; 11-29-03 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-29-03, 06:37 PM

Received 805 Likes on 523 Posts
I need to watch mine too... maybe that's what I'll over the break.
Old 11-29-03, 10:55 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
As I understood it, this was supposed to take place in the period after the apes' revolution, before they completely dominated. Like 800 years in the future? That's why humans can still talk.

The first PoTA films were supposed to take place 3000yrs in the future, correct?

Yeah, it doesn't make sense. Still not a bad series considering it came out in '74.
Old 11-30-03, 04:23 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Off topic

<small>
Originally posted by mikehunt
[....] kind of a standard 70s "drifter helps the locals" kind of show, at least so far [.....]
</small>There were so many shows like that! Was "The Fugitive" the first? "The Invaders" used the same format as did "Kung Fu" and "The Incredible Hulk" and many after it. I suppose it is an inevitable trope to keep things fresh each week but leave the element of suspense i.e. "will the baddies catch up with the protagonist(s) this week?"

<small>Back on topic!</small>

Years ago, I saw a lot of the PotA series and even bought a run of the black and white UK reprints of the Marvel comics!

The tv series struck me as somewhat low budget effort but I kept coming back for more. I think they fixed a few of those episodes together to make tv movies. Until Eric's post I was unaware of how the continuity glitches were explained i.e. talking humans etc. But weren't there some ape characters from the film in the series, or am I misremembering?

Just found this which asks more questions than it answers but for all that is nonethelesss interesting, IMNSHO!
Old 11-30-03, 10:19 AM
Banned

Ah the good ol' "parallel universe" theory.

That page gives me a headache.
Old 11-30-03, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
in the first episode Zaius (or maybe Sarek, I mean Urko) made mention that it was 10 years after the last astronaughts that came

Last edited by mikehunt; 11-30-03 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-01-03, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never thought of the series as part of the movie timeline.

I mean, the ending of the second film pretty much makes it impossible that the series is a continuation!
Old 12-01-03, 01:02 PM
Banned

The 3rd and 4th films take place in the past.

The TV show mentions astronauts, but it's never clarified. I always got the impression the the astronauts came through the same time-rift that the ones in the movie did, just arriving earlier.
Old 12-01-03, 01:11 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

My guide to the series notes:

1) Humans are unable to speak in the original films. Only subterranean-mutant decedents of nuclear-holocaust survivors communicate verbally.
2) Conquest of the Planet of the Apes revealed that humans first brought apes into their homes as pets -- and later servants -- when a worldwide epidemic killed all their beloved cats and DOGS.
3) Ten years? The Planet of the Apes got blow'd up AGAIN by Chuck at the end of Beneath the Planet of the Apes. Cornelius and Zira also claimed to witness its destruction in Escape from the Planet of the Apes. Hmmm. Something tells me I'd just better stop thinking about this stuff.
Old 12-01-03, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

How does Marky Mark fit into all of this?
Old 12-01-03, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

marky mark followed a different aspect of the original book and went to a different planet.
it's funny, both movies and tv show each seemed to take different parts of the book
Old 12-01-03, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
How does the animated series compare with the tv series?Will this ever come to DVD?
Old 12-01-03, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think the apes had P40 warhawks in the cartoon, or planes that looked like P40s
Old 12-01-03, 10:24 PM
Banned

There was a PotA cartoon?

So were there official collectable Burger King glasses too?