Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

should i watch the firefly dvd's in proper air date or how they were supp. to be?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

should i watch the firefly dvd's in proper air date or how they were supp. to be?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-03, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we all know fox really ****ed up with firefly, but i was wondering for someone who knows the series inside and out, what is the proper order to watch the show? the way the dvds are (air date) or watch the 2 hour pilot on disc 3 first and go on in air date)
Old 11-27-03, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't seen the order they appear on the DVD, but I'd probably recommend the following order:

Serenity
The Train Job
Bushwacked
Shindig
Safe
Our Mrs. Reynolds
Jaynestown
Out of Gas
Ariel
War Stories
Trash
Objects In Space
Heart of Gold
The Message

For the most part, as long as you watch 'Serenity' first you'll be OK. Also, don't watch 'Heart of Gold' until second to last, before 'The Message'. It makes no sense why it would air before 'Trash'. 'Shindig' and 'Safe' were bumped forward for this list, but it doesn't really matter. You could watch them after 'Out of Gas' as they aired without any noticeable difference; just make sure you watch 'Safe' right after 'Shindig'.

das
Old 11-27-03, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

according to an ebay auction, heres how the dvd is ordered. he claims that this is the way the producers originally intended the show to be ordered.
"Serenity" (Part 1 & 2)\
"The Train Job"
"Bushwhacked"
"Shindig"
"Safe"
"Our Mrs. Reynolds"
"Jaynestown"
"Out of Gas",
"Ariel"
"War Stories"
"Heart of Gold"
"Objects in Space
Trash"
"The Message
Old 11-27-03, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've seen that list before. I have no idea why someone would watch 'Heart of Gold' before 'Trash'. It's not like it matters a lot, but it doesn't make sense. When you see the episodes you'll understand what I'm talking about.

das
Old 01-11-09, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: should i watch the firefly dvd's in proper air date or how they were supp. to be?

hulu's ordering is:

Serenity
The Train Job
Bushwacked
Shindig
Safe
Our Mrs. Reynolds
Jaynestown
Out of Gas
Ariel
War Stories
Trash
The Message
Heart of Gold
Objects in Space

is this the way to go?
Old 01-11-09, 11:39 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: should i watch the firefly dvd's in proper air date or how they were supp. to be?

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
hulu's ordering is:

Serenity
The Train Job
Bushwacked
Shindig
Safe
Our Mrs. Reynolds
Jaynestown
Out of Gas
Ariel
War Stories
Trash
The Message
Heart of Gold
Objects in Space

is this the way to go?
Yep
Old 01-11-09, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
according to an ebay auction, heres how the dvd is ordered. he claims that this is the way the producers originally intended the show to be ordered.
Originally Posted by das Monkey
I've seen that list before. I have no idea why someone would watch 'Heart of Gold' before 'Trash'. It's not like it matters a lot, but it doesn't make sense. When you see the episodes you'll understand what I'm talking about.
The listing Rypro 525 provided is based on the production numbers for the episodes, with 'Heart of Gold' having production code 1AGE10, and 'Trash' having production code 1AGE12. However, the production number doesn't necessarily indicate intended viewing order, just the order the episodes were put into production. As das Monkey points out, going purely by production number, certain plot continuity issues arise, much as they did with the original air order.

Shows will often produce episodes outside of the order of intended viewing. For example, in Season 5 of the X-Files, the 3rd episode of the season was produced first and given the first production code of the season due to it being light on Mulder and Scully appearances, since the actors for those characters were still filming the movie.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...281997-1998.29

The Hulu order RoyalTea listed is the same as the order on the R1 DVDs, and is the way the producers wanted the show to be seen. This DVDTalk review lists the DVD order:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/8581/...mplete-series/

Wikipedia also lists the episodes in the Hulu/R1 DVD order:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Firefly_episodes

Last edited by Jay G.; 01-11-09 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Specified R1 DVD ordering
Old 01-11-09, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Funny, the answer to this question always used to be "watch in the order it is on the DVDs" but now it's become a totally legit question again.
Old 01-11-09, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Funny, the answer to this question always used to be "watch in the order it is on the DVDs" but now it's become a totally legit question again.
I wondered which DVD set has the alternate ordering scheme, and it looks like the R4 Australian DVD might have it:
http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/228056