Why 3 strips of security tape?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-03, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do dvd boxes have 3 strips of security tape? Wouldn't one plus the plastic wrapping be enough? You'd think they were protecting gold in the dvd case or something....especially XXX that had the red plastic you had to actually cut. What gives?
Old 11-25-03, 10:22 AM

It takes longer for theives with razor blades to cut three strips and steal the disc. Therefore, there is a greater likelihood that a store owner will be able to catch a thief.
Old 11-25-03, 10:32 AM

They should do that with CD's...maybe then they'd lower the prices on them a lot more!
Old 11-25-03, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thieves.
Old 11-25-03, 10:54 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't mind too much, it kinda nice to know that no one has opened the case or touched the disk.
Old 11-25-03, 11:01 AM

seems like overkill though...i'd rather have the XXX case where you have to cut the 2 peices....maybe not..i dont know.
Old 11-25-03, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
How does it deter thieves? You'd still have to cut through the shrink wrap. still the same amount of cuts with or without the 2 extra sides taped. It's kind of upsetting to me that I have to go get a ravor when I open my movies now.
Old 11-25-03, 11:30 AM

Because four strips is jus plain stoopid.
Old 11-25-03, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It doesn't bother me all that much. I understand the reasoning behind it, so I don't complain. If having an extra bit of security tape on the case will deter thieves and keep costs down for the stores then I'm all for it.
Old 11-25-03, 12:08 PM
Banned

i hate it cuz sumtimes if u git a dVd and the peece of paper in there is sticking out under the plestic then wen u take of the stiker it rips of part of the cuver art paper this heppend to ME with me copy of a man apart staring vindeesel.
Old 11-25-03, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
?
Old 11-25-03, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And Saint Attila raised the DVD up on high, saying, 'O Lord, bless this Thy DVD that, with it, Thou mayest watch Thine movies at home in Thy mercy.'

And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals and fruit bats and large chu--

And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take off the Holy Wrapper. Then, shalt thou find three stickers. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number of stickers, and the number of the stickers shall be three. Four shalt thou not be, nor either find thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the three stickers, being the third number, are found, then, carefully tearest thou thy security stickers of of the DVD, and place them in thine trach bin, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it.'
Old 11-25-03, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by B.S.Preston,ESQ
i hate it cuz sumtimes if u git a dVd and the peece of paper in there is sticking out under the plestic then wen u take of the stiker it rips of part of the cuver art paper this heppend to ME with me copy of a man apart staring vindeesel.
English majors
Old 11-25-03, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by B.S.Preston,ESQ

I think I got it. No, it went right over me.
Old 11-25-03, 01:09 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

OT...to drive ME crazy.
Old 11-25-03, 02:08 PM

Actually, we've been market testing a new type of decorative security slipcase that you can cheaply add really cool holographics and holofoil effects to. The trick is that the end user has to really destroy the slipcase to get at the keepcase underneath. We perceive that this could lead to many people making double purchases to keep one DVD in their collection in unopened state to display the security slipcase only holo art.

We would like to test market this on the new 720p T2 Double DVD-18 release Fall 04. There is already a hologram design in mind that shows 360 deg view of the two terminators battling.

We are just waiting for Mr. Haney to return with the promised Holographic DVD Slipcase making gizmo that he sold us for $400 two weeks ago when he visited Lisa and I.
Old 11-25-03, 02:15 PM

Where would they put the 4th security tape? maybe right over the disc?
Old 11-25-03, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by sicklerice
We are just waiting for Mr. Haney to return with the promised Holographic DVD Slipcase making gizmo that he sold us for $400 two weeks ago when he visited Lisa and I.
Old 11-25-03, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Iron Chef
And Saint Attila raised the DVD up on high, saying, 'O Lord, bless this Thy DVD that, with it, Thou mayest watch Thine movies at home in Thy mercy.'

And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals and fruit bats and large chu--

And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take off the Holy Wrapper. Then, shalt thou find three stickers. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number of stickers, and the number of the stickers shall be three. Four shalt thou not be, nor either find thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the three stickers, being the third number, are found, then, carefully tearest thou thy security stickers of of the DVD, and place them in thine trach bin, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it.'

Brother Maynard, doth thou suggest using the Holy Handgrenade of Antioch on this thread?
Old 11-25-03, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Movie studio paranoia.
Old 11-25-03, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
studies have found that America produces a higher per capita percentage of lying, cheating, thieving whores and punks than is found in R2 & R4.

which may explain why i never see one security sticker on my imports (let alone three), apart from the shrinkwrap.
Old 11-25-03, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by ckolchak
studies have found that America produces a higher per capita percentage of lying, cheating, thieving whores and punks than is found in R2 & R4.

which may explain why i never see one security sticker on my imports (let alone three), apart from the shrinkwrap.
That, and the fact that there is nothing worth stealing in R2 (Forget about R4!!!)
Old 11-25-03, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
That, and the fact that there is nothing worth stealing in R2
You need to enroll in the DVD Awareness 101 class: Who makes the best DVD's. France for one, constantly puts out DVD releases that are vastly superior to their R1 counterparts. I believe these are now referred to as Freedom DVD's.
Old 11-25-03, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
Oh, and I forgot, 3 security strips is stoopid.
Old 11-25-03, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That, and the fact that there is nothing worth stealing in R2 (Forget about R4!!!)
I agree. Some may disagree; however, I agree.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.