Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

So No Hitchhiker Season 1 Huh?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 11-25-03, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it said at TVSHOWSONDVD that there will be the 10 Best Hitchiker episodes with Ten Great Stars. This is cool to have Hitchhiker on DVD but I would have expected a Season 1. It's kinda too bad it isn't.
Old 11-25-03, 04:20 PM

Re: So No Hitchhiker Season 1 Huh?

Originally posted by Which Button?
Well it said at TVSHOWSONDVD that there will be the 10 Best Hitchiker episodes with Ten Great Stars. This is cool to have Hitchhiker on DVD but I would have expected a Season 1. It's kinda too bad it isn't.
Well, I would've preferred a set with seasons 1 and 2, as the first season contained only three episodes.

I guess some Hitchhiker on DVD is better than none. The only bad thing I see is judging by one of the guest stars, this set is going to include one of the crappy USA Network episodes. I would've thought, this coming from HBO, that we'd only be having episodes from the "original 39."

Let's hope that if they do release further volumes, that they will release the original Nicholas Campbell versions of the first three shows (all his scenes were re-shot when Page Fletcher came aboard for season 2 and have, to my knowledge, haven't been shown in their original form since the original 1983-84 run).
Old 11-25-03, 04:23 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
I'm just happy to see this show on DVD in the first place.
Old 11-25-03, 08:04 PM

Yeah it is great that is on DVD period but it still would be good to have Season Sets at least in the future.
Old 03-06-04, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good news, from TVShowsOnDVD.com:
Do you remember this post I made back in January where I mentioned that the Canadian Best of The Hitchhiker was cancelled in HBO? Well, it all makes sense now because Canada is getting their own DVD release of the series, and it's way better than the one HBO is releasing.

Koch Canada will release The Complete First Season on DVD April 20th. This 3 disc set will contain 26 episodes and carry a SRP price of $39.99 CAN. The show must have aired differently in Canada because what Koch considers the first season is actually the first 3 seasons according to the episode guide at EPGuides.com. It's not all good news though; the people I spoke to at Koch Canada told me that they don't own the Canadian rights to the second Canadian season so they're unable to release those episodes.
Visit a strange place...a struggling author fakes his own death...a voodoo curse changes a slumlord's destiny...identical twins share everything, including their men...a plastic surgeon obsessed by beauty, plays an ugly price...

Now available on DVD for the first time - The Hitchhiker: The Series - The Complete First Season! The 3-DVD box set covers the first season of this extraordinary award-winning series. The Hitchhiker was HBO's first dramatic series and won eight ACE Awards to become the highest-ranking series on pay television. The series presented sophisticated tales of terror, horror and suspense with leading cast members such as Willem Dafoe, Kirstie Alley, Tom Skerritt, Harry Hamlin, Barry Bostwick, and Gary Busey.

Each story is linked by the infamous hitchhiker, played by Page Fletcher, who would introduce and close each episode in the style of Rod Serling or Alfred Hitchcock.

Journey into the unexplained as you enter the world of The Hitchhiker...where murder, suspense and revenge are the name of the game and the directors are out of this world.
Episode Listing:

Volume One
01. When Morning Comes
02. Shattered Vows
03. Split Decision
04. Remembering Melody
05. Face To Face
06. And If We Dream
07. Petty Thieves
08. Hired Help
09. Man At The Window

Volume Two
10. Murderous Feelings
11. Videodate
12. A Time For Rifles
13. Love Sounds
14. Last Scene
15. One Last Prayer
16. Ghostwriter
17. Dead Man's Curve
18. True Believer

Volume Three
19. Man of Her Dreams
20. O.D. Feeling
21. Man's Best Friend
22. The Curse
23. Nightshift
24. W.G.O.D.
25. Killer
26. Out of the Night

We'll keep you updated on the status of this title. Amazon.ca is selling the DVD for $27.99 CAN, or approx $21 US!
DVDSoon has it up for pre-order too, for $26.98 CAN, with free shipping.

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 03-06-04 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-06-04, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

9 episodes on each disc? I have a feeling the quality is going to be pretty bad. 3 hours is pushing it & that would probably be around 4 hours. Otherwise that set sounds great.
Old 03-15-04, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
They can't be any worse than my 20-year old mono tapes of them. And this has 2 of my favorite episodes, Split Decision and O.D.Feelin, that aren't on the HBO set. Of course, I'll probably end up getting both to be complete anyway.

-jason
Old 03-15-04, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Re: Re: So No Hitchhiker Season 1 Huh?

Originally posted by mythmaker18
Well, I would've preferred a set with seasons 1 and 2, as the first season contained only three episodes.
Some websites list a first season with 3 episodes, but I don't think they really count as a season in the usual sense. On one of the commentaries on HBO's set, producer Lewis Chesler describes the three together just serving as a pilot for HBO, and the producers wouldn't show those episodes to directors courted for the first full season so that they wouldn't get the wrong idea about what the series was about. Chesler and at least one of the other directors referred to the '84/'85 season as "the first season".

I posted a review of the HBO set yesterday, if anyone's bored.
Old 04-28-04, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: So No Hitchhiker Season 1 Huh?

Let's hope that if they do release further volumes, that they will release the original Nicholas Campbell versions of the first three shows (all his scenes were re-shot when Page Fletcher came aboard for season 2 and have, to my knowledge, haven't been shown in their original form since the original 1983-84 run).
Well, I just got the Canadian set today, and you almost got your wish.

They used the Nicholas Campbell version of "Split Decision", but used the Page Fletcher versions of "When Morning Comes" and "Shattered vows". At least, that's what the opening sequences of the episodes were- I haven't watched any more than half of "Split Decision".

As far as quality of what I saw- eh, they're ok, but there's definitely changes from the HBO versions- There were fades where I think commercials were put in, and there's at least one scene where something was just cut entirely (When Audrey Landers jumps on Jackson Davies and we get a shot of her straddling him- even though there was no nudity- was cut.)

You know, it didn't even occur to me that these versions would be cleaned up or cut. Grrr. I wonder if there is actually no nudity, with these versions being rated 14A :-(

-jason

OK, edit again- there's definitely nudity in the set- "Face to Face" has a full-frontal shot. Now I'm even more puzzled.

Last edited by fuzzbox; 04-28-04 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-28-04, 07:37 PM

Fuzzbox,

I think these episodes come from all different sources.

Thats why we get a N.C. opening on episode 3, why some of the episodes have a bunch of nudity, why some of the episodes seem edited, etc.

The episodes do seem like they came from all over. Not only one source.

I will say one thing. The Canada set is much better than the US set and it was cheaper.

I did like the US cover better, but I dont hate he Canada box. In a way I like how the Canada box is set up and how each disc comes in it's own seperate case.
Old 11-22-04, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I was wondering if anyone that owns the Canadian boxed set would like to clarify some things that have me confused.

First, it sounds like some of the episodes are edited-for-TV versions. Are the original three episodes at least uncut? (Excusing the fact that Page Fletcher is used instead of Nicholas Campbell?) These are the ones I am missing and want the most.

Second, I assume this is the boxed set everyone is referring to:

http://www.dvdsoon.com/show-title-de...xml?uid=106386

(I just wanted to clarify since the description on dvdsoon sounds like the 10-episode American version.)

Thanks!
Old 11-23-04, 11:52 AM

They are definately not edited for TV. The Pilot has quite a bit of nudity.
Old 11-23-04, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, that PICTURE is the Canadian Box, but the description is for the US set. The price, number of discs, and time also seems to be in-line with the Canadian version. DVDsoon must have made a mistake.

The only episode I have on tape from the original run of 3 (thereby the only one I can vouch for) is Split Decision, and there is definitely a cut in it, as in my post above. I'm still not sure exactly WHY the cut was made. It's unlikely it was a "for TV" cut, as there's no nudity, and there are other scenes in which Judy Landers (sorry about above, I was mixed up) is in the same outfit. So in other words, It is cut, but I don't know if it was cut for TV, or for some other reason.

-jason

Last edited by fuzzbox; 11-23-04 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-24-04, 10:11 AM

The only episode I have on tape from the original run of 3 (thereby the only one I can vouch for) is Split Decision, and there is definitely a cut in it, as in my post above. I'm still not sure exactly WHY the cut was made. It's unlikely it was a "for TV" cut, as there's no nudity, and there are other scenes in which Judy Landers (sorry about above, I was mixed up) is in the same outfit. So in other words, It is cut, but I don't know if it was cut for TV, or for some other reason.
Perhaps, as this was a Canadian production, the version they used on the DVD was a "for Canadian TV" version, whihc might explain the "commercial fades" you mentioned. Might the brief cut have been to fit into the original Canadian timeslot?
Old 11-24-04, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Perhaps, as this was a Canadian production, the version they used on the DVD was a "for Canadian TV" version, whihc might explain the "commercial fades" you mentioned. Might the brief cut have been to fit into the original Canadian timeslot?
Possibly, but it's literally 1 line, maybe 3-5 seconds. Is Canadian TV really THAT strict on running length?

-jason
Old 01-08-07, 12:29 AM

Any updates on whether there is a season one US version? I've done a search online and i've only seen the 26 season 1 version. Not sure if its the canadian one or not
Old 01-08-07, 06:32 AM

Doubt it, I bought the R1 Canadian.

Just three seasons out in total?
Old 01-08-07, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mrwilson
Doubt it, I bought the R1 Canadian.

Just three seasons out in total?
Yeah, Canada has the 2 box sets, labelled "First" and "Third", though technically they're "First and Second" and "Fourth". Apparently some rights issues are preventing the middle one from being released.

the US has 3 collections, 2 DVDs and 10 episodes each. No system as to what episodes from what seasons are on them, so you get classic HBO ones with Made for TV ones :-(

-jason