Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Will Blockbusters only carry DVDs in the future?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-03, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long do you guys think it will take for Blockbuster to get rid of their VHS inventory and start carrying JUST DVD's? They've already made a good step in the past buy taking "Video" off of their name and just being known as Blockbuster.
Old 11-24-03, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

until its non profitable probably. There are still too many people with VCR for them to do that now.

I still think we are a few years away and as long as studios make films available in VHS, the video stores will rent them
Old 11-24-03, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Man I don't even know anybody that rents VHS.
Old 11-24-03, 06:16 PM

I still rent VHS, because most of the movies I'm looking for haven't been (and may not be) upgraded to DVD at Blockbuster.

I don't go there to rent SWAT.
Old 11-24-03, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Block buster will rent VHS till even after the format is dead. to many folks still rely on VHS.
Old 11-24-03, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not even in 7 years?
Old 11-24-03, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
when i use to work there about 3 months ago, we were told about 1, 1 1/2 years till they would stop getting new vhs
Old 11-24-03, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...erm... there are and have been, literally, thousands of movies on VHS that have not (yet) received the DVD 'treatment' - and nor is it certain that (m)any of them ever will... TCF titles, anyone? Leave Her To Heaven, Wilson, Forever Amber, Anna And The King Of Siam, Captain From Castile, Cheaper By The Dozen, The Gang's All Here, The Blue Bird, Blood And Sand, On The Riviera, Three Came Home... and... and... and... MGM titles, anyone? The Good Earth (with the sepia-toned sequence, please!), Pride And Prejudice, For Me And My Gal, Two Girls And a Sailor, Honky Tonk, Dragon Seed... Paramount, anyone? Lady In The Dark, We're Not Dressing, Star Spangled Rhythm, Incendiary Blonde, Golden Earrings, The Story Of Dr. Wassell, Cleopatra, Samson And Delilah... and so on and on...

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 11-24-03 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-24-03, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
They should get rid of VHS, and get LASERDISCS of the movie that aren't on DVD yet!
Although Beta and CED would be good too.
Old 11-24-03, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Alan Smithee
They should get rid of VHS, and get LASERDISCS of the movie that aren't on DVD yet!
Although Beta and CED would be good too.
And then when Blockbuster is filing for bankruptcy 2 months later, everyone will wonder why.
Old 11-25-03, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Hendrik
...erm... there are and have been, literally, thousands of movies on VHS that have not (yet) received the DVD 'treatment' - and nor is it certain that (m)any of them ever will... TCF titles, anyone? Leave Her To Heaven, Wilson, Forever Amber, Anna And The King Of Siam, Captain From Castile, Cheaper By The Dozen, The Gang's All Here, The Blue Bird, Blood And Sand, On The Riviera, Three Came Home... and... and... and... MGM titles, anyone? The Good Earth (with the sepia-toned sequence, please!), Pride And Prejudice, For Me And My Gal, Two Girls And a Sailor, Honky Tonk, Dragon Seed... Paramount, anyone? Lady In The Dark, We're Not Dressing, Star Spangled Rhythm, Incendiary Blonde, Golden Earrings, The Story Of Dr. Wassell, Cleopatra, Samson And Delilah... and so on and on...

. . . . . .
But can you get them all at Blockbuster?
Old 11-25-03, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
yeah you can. in the PPV section, they always blow them away.

Block buster is strange like that, they like to get rid of the classics like above mentioned because they don't rent them out that much yet they have only one copy of each while they flood the walls with new crap. block buster a big waste of my 2 years of working.
Old 11-25-03, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Joe Molotov
And then when Blockbuster is filing for bankruptcy 2 months later, everyone will wonder why.
BB actually makes out better renting DVDs since they are not bound by the same royalty situation with the studios and VHS. They get the DVDs for wholesale and within 2-3 rentals at most they are in the black. THEN they sell the PP DVD for $10 and really turn a profit.
Old 11-25-03, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by edytwinky
Not even in 7 years?
There's no way that BB will still be renting VHS in 7 years. The format will be basically dead at that point.

Yes, there will obviously be titles that have not made the transition to DVD... but for a major chain dealing with big hollywood films, that won't be an issue. Most people don't go to BB to get indie/foreign/art films. Or really much else besides the latest Tomb Raider extravaganza.

VHS at Blockbuster will be gone in less than 5 years, methinks. It's a simple question of $$$$. Frankly, I think we're getting very close to the point when some fairly big films don't even come out on VHS any more. Looking at the number of Finding Nemo DVD sales vs. VHS sales does not bode well for tape...
Old 11-25-03, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

VHS at Blockbuster will be gone in less than 2 years. Blockbuster has stated that their intention is to drop VHS altogether, and have been following a plan to do just that for the last year. It began with integrating the DVD section into the VHS section while at the same time dumping the bottom 25% of worst renting VHS titles from their stores to make shelf room for more DVDs and games.

Blockbuster announced this about 9 mos ago or so. The plan is to do about 50% DVD/game rentals and 50% sales of new and used DVD/ games. You may have noticed that BV has been taking used DVD's as trade ins for new ones. They are trying to build their used DVD library to start selling them. BV is trying to change with the market place and become the place to go when buying new and used movies and games. DVD is a buyer's market and so they are moving in that direction.
Old 11-25-03, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Block buster will rent VHS till even after the format is dead. to many folks still rely on VHS.
Consumer reliance on a format is immaterial. When a format dies the media goes to bargain bins, then specialty stores, then swap meets. It's the nature of the beast. Never once was there a major retailer that said, 'We've got to keep stocking this... our customers depend on it!' No major retailer, especially Blockbuster, will be dealing in VHS 4 years from now. Most will have abandoned it completely within 2 years.
Old 11-25-03, 09:37 AM

I work at Rogers and were already selling 100's of vhs's from our inventory in ordrer to make room for dvd. The company predicts between 5-7 years
Old 11-25-03, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Hendrik

. . . . . .
But Blockbuster only carries catalog titles as floor space filler. 90% of their money comes from "New Releases" rentals. So your argument is essentially meaningless.

- Numanoid (former Asst. Mgr. of Blockbuster )
Old 11-25-03, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

EVerytime I go to Blockbuster, the only time I see someone in the VHS section is the much older crowd 50+ years old.
Old 11-25-03, 03:51 PM

VHS is almost gone from the BB in my area, maybe 4 shelves with actual VHS in the entire store.