Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Line of Fire - David Paymer vs. Leslie Hope (Teri Bauer!)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-03, 11:37 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone heard any buzz on this new series on ABC? In one corner is David Paymer as the Mob Boss, and in the other corner is Leslie Hope as FBI Special-Agent-In-Charge-of-Taking-Paymer's-Ass-Down. I thought it looked cool before I even knew that Teri Freaking Bauer was making her return to network TV in this show.

Oh yeah, and I guess Leslie Bibb is in this, too. Woo hoo. Why isn't she on ER anymore? (Maybe this show is the answer to that question.)

Here's the official site, by the way.
Old 11-23-03, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I saw a preview and it looked interesting. Funny thing is, for some off reason, I was thinking of Teri Bauer. Then ten minutes later, I flip the channel to catch the last 5 minutes of Outer Limits, which apparently she was in (I don't watch the show). And now this. Weird.
Old 11-24-03, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why bother? Unless it gets a 76 share the first night, ABC will pull it within a month.
Old 11-24-03, 02:11 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I've read the buzz is pretty good for it.

It's starting at a time when everything else is going into repeats so hopefully that will help.

I think right now it's only scheduled for 6 episodes and ABC will decide to pick it up or not after that.
Old 11-24-03, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Buck Turgidson
Why bother? Unless it gets a 76 share the first night, ABC will pull it within a month.
So true..

I don't know...i've seen the promos and...

I like Paymer...I really do...but I can't for the life of me picture him as a big-time badass Mob guy...

Of course, once I see it, I might change my mind.

Oh...the other negative against it...it's taking NYPD Blue's slot for who-knows-how-long [if Buck is right, at least one week ]..

On the positive side?

Leslie.

Old 11-24-03, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Rogue588

I like Paymer...I really do...but I can't for the life of me picture him as a big-time badass Mob guy...
He seems to be doing sort of a Rain Man version of Tony Soprano. He's one of the few guys I can see being a nebbish-y capo.

On the positive side?

Leslie.

I would REALLY like for Paris, France to be on DVD.
Old 11-24-03, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope ABC gives this show a chance, it looks pretty interesting.
Old 11-24-03, 07:42 AM
Admin Emeritus

From the imdb.com:
Lucy (Leslie Hope), an author who could not write a single line since she had moved to Paris meets an attractive young man in the city of love who seduces her. This stimulates her fantasy to write a new story.
Oh my.
Old 11-24-03, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by Rogue588
[size=1][/sizeOh...the other negative against it...it's taking NYPD Blue's slot for who-knows-how-long [if Buck is right, at least one week ]..

I was so pumped that NYPD Blue actually started the season on time for once, then they go bump it to introduce another new show. Why is it always NYPD Blue that gets bumped? You don't see NBC bumping ER or Friends for a month (or more) to introduce new shows...

I'm interested in Line Of Fire, but there are plenty of other places they could put it...

Sorry for the rant. Still smarting after losing Karen Sisco I guess.
Old 11-24-03, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I'll watch it, but mostly because it's in Blues timeslot and everything seems to be in re-runs until after New Years. Must keep up the streak of watching doomed shows.
Old 11-24-03, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts
Set up the Season Pass. I think the previews look pretty cool. It has a "The Shield" feel with some of the running and gunning with hand-held cameras.
Old 11-24-03, 11:10 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally posted by bralph
Why is it always NYPD Blue that gets bumped?
Everything is going into reruns now and reruns of Blue have terrible ratings.
Old 11-24-03, 02:00 PM

I think, too, that NYPD's production schedule takes a lot longer and they have trouble getting lots of new episodes out.

I don't think ABC unfairly cancels shows. They picked up all of their new shows this fall, and though Karen Sisco has gone on hiatus, I think it'll be back. NBC and CBS have cancelled more than ABC, if i'm not mistaken.

Line of Fire looks kicka$$. I hope it's as edgy as the commercials appear to be. And I hope this finally beats Law & Order SVU, something that NYPD Blue hasn't done in a long time.
Old 11-24-03, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't see Paymer as a mob boss either. Usually, bosses at least have a bit of a physical presence to be intimidating, but he does not. I can't really see Leslie Hope being a legit FBI either, but it is probably because I am so used to her being a waifish typical women in need of rescuing...
Old 11-24-03, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by javanut
I don't think ABC unfairly cancels shows.

And I hope this finally beats Law & Order SVU, something that NYPD Blue hasn't done in a long time.
Perhaps you're right about ABC not cancelling shows unfairly...so far, it's only been L.A. Dragnet.

And i'm curious, what's your definition of "a long time"...? NYPD Blue has only been head to head with SVU since the beginning of this season..
Old 11-24-03, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Static Cling

Oh my.

Full frontal.

Several times.

And she looks even hotter with longer hair.
Old 11-24-03, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Leslie Bibb....hmmm.

Sure I'll give it a shot.
Old 11-25-03, 11:47 AM

And i'm curious, what's your definition of "a long time"...? NYPD Blue has only been head to head with SVU since the beginning of this season..
My bad, you're right. I had forgotten that last season Blue was up against Judging Amy and Presidio Med.
Old 12-01-03, 02:08 PM

Here's the synopsis of tomorrow night's episode:

In the premiere episode, rookie FBI agents Paige Van Doren and Todd Stevens are assigned to the Richmond, Virginia branch. Their new boss, Special Agent in Charge Lisa Cohen, is a tough, no-nonsense leader. All are rocked by the violent death of Agent Bert Somers — the first such tragedy for most in this group.

Meanwhile, on the other side of town, Jonah Malloy, realizes that the heat from law enforcement is about to get turned way up, so he readies his team to prepare for war.

From Rod Lurie, the writer and director of The Contender, comes Line of Fire, a fast-paced edgy, drama series that offers a gritty look at the parallel worlds of the FBI and organized crime in Richmond, Virginia.
Old 12-01-03, 02:21 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I'll probably give it a shot too - looks promising.
Old 12-01-03, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by movieking
I can't see Paymer as a mob boss either. Usually, bosses at least have a bit of a physical presence to be intimidating, but he does not. I can't really see Leslie Hope being a legit FBI either, but it is probably because I am so used to her being a waifish typical women in need of rescuing...
He reminds me of Bricktop from Snatch. Not physically intimidating but he has a presence about him that makes him intimidating despite his smaller stature. I've got this scheduled on my ReplayTV for now, we'll see how it goes. I think it looks promising.
Old 12-02-03, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Review from usatoday.com:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...-of-fire_x.htm
Old 12-02-03, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

it is on DVD. I have a copy of it that I can watch any time I want. You need a multiregion player though.
Old 12-02-03, 10:31 AM

Boton Globe review here.
Old 12-02-03, 11:36 AM

Isn't David Paymer Jewish? I know he's not Italian! I realize it's acting, but Paymer's is going to have to do a really good job to convince me he's Mafia.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.