Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Return of the Living Dead 3 unrated ever?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-03, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well it has been two years since the R rated 'SE' was released much to fans dislike.

Back in 2002. A person from Lions Gate hinted that an unrated release was a possibility for 2003.

It is now close to the end of 2003 & still no unrated version in site.

The way the studio is being run now has basically made me lose hope for an uncut version of this film(previouslly available on all other formats!),House of 1000 Corpses,Rules Of Attraction...& god only knows what other movies they may surpress the uncut versions for an as yet undetermined release date.

In fact,I thought some people were overreacting when they were worried about the R rated only dvds for Return 3 & The Convent. Since I figured the uncut versions would be released soon afterwards.

Yet it was not until Rules of Attraction & Corpses that I became really concerned,considering how the directors mentioned both R & Unrated versions simultaneously,only to end up with R rated only in the end.

So if anyone from Lions Gate is reading this. What the heck is going on? I might as well stop buying your dvds if you keep this up. Since I & fans in general will only take so much..& you are really pushing it here.
Old 11-24-03, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,207 Likes on 1,509 Posts
Still hanging on to my unrated VHS (and refusing to buy the R-rated DVD) for now.
Old 11-24-03, 02:30 AM

I've been doing the same!

Yet I keep seeing the dvd on the shelf for sale,am interested in buying it. Then remember it's the R version & put it back.

Some will say thats being stupid. Yet I have seen the R rated version when it aired on Cinemax & it is pretty chopped up badly I might add despite only a 1 minute difference. The cuts are all way obvious & screw up the pace & flow of the scenes.

I don't see why they could not have used seamless branching & include both versions given the not so different running times?
Old 11-24-03, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been holding off on this one for the same reasons. Very dissapointing!
Old 11-24-03, 10:42 AM

Both the British and the Scandinavian releases of this film are uncut. Go region-free!
Old 11-24-03, 08:59 PM
Banned

y r r2 dvds uzully unsensored while dVd for the good old uSA are uzully sensored? Is it r politico types making it hard for the studios to make an unsensored disc? i demand unsensored discs wenever possible!!!!!!!!
Old 11-24-03, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
About Rules & Corpses: the respective directors are busy at the moment, and refuse to cheat the fans with half-assed unrated cuts. They'll do proper unrated cuts when there's time.
Old 11-25-03, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by DonnachaOne
About Rules & Corpses: the respective directors are busy at the moment, and refuse to cheat the fans with half-assed unrated cuts. They'll do proper unrated cuts when there's time.
Rules was only cut by 22 seconds to achieve an R rating. It would take no work on the part of Roger Avary for Lion's Gate to release the unrated cut on DVD. House of 1,000 Corpses is a completely different situation, as Rob Zombie's full cut of the film doesn't exist as a finished product. The full cut of Rules not only exists, but it was released in much of the world.

DJ
Old 11-25-03, 03:40 AM
Banned

I would have bought it except for the price. It is more expensive than Return Of The Living Dead by about $6.00. Somehow, that bothers me.
Old 11-25-03, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

as far as i know, the other region versions of ROTLD3 are fullscreen. which may not be so bad, i wouldnt mind seeing more vertical information on the body of Mindy Clarke
Old 11-25-03, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally posted by scarredgod
as far as i know, the other region versions of ROTLD3 are fullscreen. which may not be so bad, i wouldnt mind seeing more vertical information on the body of Mindy Clarke
The Region 2 Uncut DVD is open matte and you do not lose any information off of the sides. I have compared several shots to confirm this.
Old 11-25-03, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by d2cheer
The Region 2 Uncut DVD is open matte and you do not lose any information off of the sides. I have compared several shots to confirm this.
I might have to import this next time I make an order from amazon uk!
Old 11-25-03, 11:10 AM

So if anyone from Lions Gate is reading this. What the heck is going on?
I'm pretty sure we were also supposed to get an unrated Cabin Fever, but now it looks as though it's going to be the R-rated theatrical cut.

Come on guys! What gives?
Old 11-25-03, 12:42 PM

Yes,Cabin Fever is another one. Supposedly the festival screenings everyone were raving about long before release was slightly different than what made it to theaters.

The director even stated quite a few times in interviwes that R & Unrated versions would be released. He did not say exactly what would be included,expect that the bowling alley massacre would be longer & more exlicit as well as more new/extended scenes,but didn't say what.

Meanwhile other people are claiming that he has also said nothing was cut from the film to get an R rating & the rated version is uncut. Yet what gives with him discussing an unrated release which he called a 'Directors Cut' & not coming through with it?

Unless LG is waiting for the sequel,which they are thinking about making.

Yet I am getting sick of this BS. Considering even if the uncut version were out now. I'd still go see the sequel when released if it did not too horrible I might add. So trying to market it with the sequels just does'nt seem right with myself.

They can always start marketing it more with special offers & such to promote the sequel. Yet taking the fans for granted like this is wrong,as it will backfire in the long wrong to the point they will just have enough with the studios game & refuse to purchase their product & support them.
Old 11-25-03, 01:21 PM

Didn't Return of the Living Dead 3 go straight to video? And if so, was it shot to be released in full frame?
Old 11-25-03, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Yocke
Didn't Return of the Living Dead 3 go straight to video? And if so, was it shot to be released in full frame?
I own a 35mm theatrical trailer for the film, so I would imagine it played some theatrical venues.

DJ
Old 11-25-03, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Lion's Gate has been on my shitlist for some time because of high prices and a refusal to release unrated versions of their films. I could maybe forgive one or the other, but not both.
Old 11-25-03, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Yeah, I remember seeing a preview for it before Dazed and Confused(I think that's where I saw it) so it was at least advertised theatrically.
Old 11-25-03, 10:10 PM

It was released in limited release theatricaly. Most likely playing a few of the major cities like L.A. or NYC. Did not play here at all.

As far as I know. The limited theatrical release was unrated..& the R rated was created for video for you know who shit stores

Does anyone know how to contact LG? We should start given them complaints up the wazoo & hopefully they will come around. Since I can understand the case with Corpses needing to be re-edited to include all the footage cut to avoid an NC-17. Yet..Rules t print does exist since it's a scant few seconds. So it's pretty questionable why that was not released,expect the most obvious it's aiming for Glamoramas' release date. Yet I am not even sure if that has started filming yet?
Old 11-26-03, 12:30 AM

Even if ROTLD3 was shot with the intentions of going straight to video that doesn't mean it has to be 4:3. Lots of straight to video feature films are composed for widescreen.