Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

What is the best "Halloween" DVD to own?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-03, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use to own Halloween on DVD till I loaned it to my sister and she lost it But now I am kinda glad it was lost cause it looks like there are some better versions out there. I know there are at least 2 or 3 different versions around? Which is the best to own?
Old 11-22-03, 11:40 AM

I'd recommend the Divimax 25th Anniversary. I don't own it, but it looks like it has a ton of cool special features. If that's not your thing, then you'd probably be fine with the regular edition or the extended edition.
Old 11-22-03, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Divimax 25th Anniversary is the original theatrical cut, and it's the best this film is going to look for years to come. I'm serious, it's top.

One might wonder why it has a 5.1, 2.0 AND 1.0 track, and it has NO subtitles OR captions, but it's the best looking version you can get.
Old 11-22-03, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Divimax by far looks the best. However, it appears the colors are wrong as they were not approved. There is also question about the shadows being lightened - which may also not have been intended. There are discussions about this if you do a search.

So, basically you have two options:

1. Divimax - with wrong color colors - but has a much better transfer that is very clean...and looks as good as a 1978 film could look...or...

2. THX version which has approved colors and shadows, but has excessive edge enhancement, compression artifacts, and lots of dirt and specs on it.

Either way, there is a compromise.

Last edited by DavidH; 11-22-03 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-22-03, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DavidH is correct, but just to qualify slightly (as I've seen both)...

It's not like the fleshtones on the Divimax are all slanted to green or something horrible like that. Basically, the film which takes place in the midwest during autumn was shot in L.A. during the spring. So, to make up for the extra bright L.A. colors as filmed, the cinematographer knocked back the color scheme, making it look much duller, and therefore more autumn-y. (Similar things were done to make the night shots bluer). In the new version, this color correction was not done. Hence the night time stuff is plainer and the daytime stuff is greener.

Still, the better transfer outweighs the color correction issue in my mind. Go Divimax.
Old 11-22-03, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, definitely many of the blues around and inside the house were removed in the Divimax version. But, most of the movie looks diffferent in general. I mean there is at least a slight difference in almost every shot - as shown in screen comparions in other threads.

Last edited by DavidH; 11-22-03 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-23-03, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Isn't the Divimax version missing the extra scenes?
Old 11-23-03, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The extra scenes were filmed a year after the original version opened in theaters and were intended solely as filler for a network airing. So, while it is true that they are missing, you ain't missing a thing by not having them.
Old 02-01-04, 11:51 AM

I have the anchor bay 2 disc "limited edition" that is numbered on the back, i bought it from a friend, but now i can't seem to find any info on it, I was under the impression that is was rare etc. Anyone know why it has sorta vanished into obscurity, and is aparently worthless
Old 02-01-04, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Red-XIII
I have the anchor bay 2 disc "limited edition" that is numbered on the back, i bought it from a friend, but now i can't seem to find any info on it, I was under the impression that is was rare etc. Anyone know why it has sorta vanished into obscurity, and is aparently worthless
It is still rare, but there isn't as much demand as there used to be. The LE used to be the only dvd that included the extended version of the movie, but Anchor Bay released the extended version a few years ago as a single-disc edition. Once that was released, all of the content on the LE discs was available in the single-disc versions. Then Anchor Bay released the 2-disc Divimax Halloween dvd which was superior to the prior versions. So that even further decreased the demand for the LE.
Old 02-01-04, 12:51 PM
Banned

Get the 1999 DVD with the approved transfer with the correct colors...its a wonderful transfer...but I wont be suprised if you just get both since the Divimax has excellent extras...
Old 02-01-04, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Also, just pure speculation on my part, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the 1999 THX version go out of print since there is a new 2-disc Divimax version. No point for them, from a financial perspective, to keep printing two versions of the exact same movie.

Yes, get the 1999 version. The transfer still looks good.
Old 02-01-04, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Divimax version looks like crap. The colors are all screwed up and in some cases, totally ruins the atmosphere (I am talking about the blue light scenes)
Old 02-01-04, 03:47 PM
Banned

How about someone just posting some pics of both dvds to rnd this debate.
Old 02-01-04, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/a-.../compare.shtml

there is one comparison there.

and a review of the DVD/Extras/Sound/Image here:
http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/a-m/halloween-25/

I am pretty happy to own the 99' THX version. Anchor Bay put out the limited edition version of the 99 THX, but all it is basically is that version I just spoke of plus the Television Version of the film. Thing is, both of those movies I believe are sold seperately now, I think around 14.99 a piece or less. I'm not too hot on the transfer of the H25 disc, but it's loaded with tons of great extras.

Last edited by asianxcore; 02-01-04 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-01-04, 07:35 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I have both versions, and I would take my 99 version any day.
Old 02-01-04, 08:03 PM
Banned

I would go with the Divimax version. It looks beautiful and has great extras.
Old 02-01-04, 08:19 PM
Banned

Divimax has completely wrong colors...therefore its inferior...
Old 02-01-04, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
FWIW: Here's the original thread that discussed this at length....

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ight=halloween

To be honest, I still don't know whether to get the new one...I have the hologram covered 1999 version and liked it well enough. At this point, there's so many other titles to get the first time, i think this will remain far down on my list of priorities....
Old 02-02-04, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I am very happy with my Divimax version, i thought the quality was the best out of any of the releases.