Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Racial comments made by eminem

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-03, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the MTV news site, they have an article that talks about a tape the The Source founders dug up with a young Eminem making racial comments (the "N" word, talking about African American girls...). Eminem has responded to this by saying that he made the tapes when he was young and stupid. Frankly, if this is made an issue at all (I can see most magazines "covering this up" by refusing to report on it or trivializing it) I don't see Eminem really regaining any street credibility at all. I know that it's mostly white kids that buy his albums and they will surely forgive him, but I don't see many real "hip hop fans" forgiving this.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/148...headlines=true
Old 11-19-03, 11:04 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
At least he's honest about it and not saying they were "taken out of context" or some BS like that.
Old 11-19-03, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

True, he did own up to them. If he said that it wasn't him on the tape I probably would have believed him due to the fact that The Source has had a desperate smear campaign aimed at Aftermath and Shady records for awhile now. The voice on the tape really doesn't sond like him. If you go to The Source website you can hear a snippet of the tape and I think that they're going to include a copy in the February issue of the mag (seems kind of hypocritical on their part the be using the racial comments as a publicity stunt)
Old 11-19-03, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This quote kind of distubs me:
"We gotta treat this the same way you treat Mike Tyson, like you treat Kobe Bryant, like you treat R. Kelly, like you treat O.J. Simpson."
In what world can Benzino equate recording racial slurs with rape, murder and pedophilia? Does he even know what he's talking about?

edited to add:

Does he own the rights to those tapes, to release them?
I hope Em sues his ass, and I'm not even a fan.

Last edited by whaaat; 11-19-03 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-19-03, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Benzino is a pile of shit, and I'm not even a big fan of Eminem or the G-Unit guys.

He has this grudge against Shady Records/Aftermath thats unreal.

He is a jealous, jealous man.
Old 11-19-03, 04:23 PM

Eminem saying the "N" word........BIG DEAL !
Old 11-19-03, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't black rappers say it all the time?
Old 11-19-03, 05:50 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by DodgingCars
Don't black rappers say it all the time?
Yeah but they are allowed to.
Old 11-19-03, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who freakin cares. I've said many a word in my time, it won't effect anything when I get famous.
Old 11-19-03, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
(one of the) Dumbest. Complaint. Ever.
Old 11-19-03, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Man, I can't believe I'm doing it, but I'll back Eminem here. I've strongly disliked Benzino for a long time, primarily because it's hard to respect a man who uses his (formerly very good) magazine as a means to promote his shitty rap albums (seriously, have his discs received any positive comments from any publication other than the Source?). This "controversy" stems from jealousy, plain and simple. To compare the idiotic rantings of a pissed off immature 15 year old to the actions of OJ Simpson, R Kelly and Mike Tyson is just asinine.
Old 11-19-03, 07:31 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's not like Benzino hasn't used anti-white remarks against Eminem in his tirades. Given Eminem's upbringing and his friends past and present, I hardly think Eminem is a racist. If anything, it was probably a "I forgot I'm white and that people get pissed when a white guy uses that word" thing.
Old 11-20-03, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by DRG
Given Eminem's upbringing and his friends past and present, I hardly think Eminem is a racist. If anything, it was probably a "I forgot I'm white and that people get pissed when a white guy uses that word" thing.
I always thought that when he states he will never use the N word, it is meant only on his album. I am sure that when he is out with his boys, that it flies all the time, without any of them getting offended. Just like I am sure his buddies call him that as well.
Old 11-20-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Insignificant complaint about some insignificant artist from some insignificant moron. NEXT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-20-03, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"explaining that the recording was made when he was just 15,"
enough said right there. He was just copying every rapper he was listening to. Anybody who takes this seriously probably didn't like him to begin with.
Old 11-20-03, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm with most of you--this seems like a ridiculous accusation to me. I also appreciate Eminem's response to the accusation. It doesn't seem like he tried to make excuses for it.
Old 11-20-03, 11:00 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by MJKTool
Yeah but they are allowed to.
allowed to? or just sheer ignorance in letting a word remain in society that is a double edged sword.
Old 11-20-03, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Benzino was just on L.A.'s KROQ talking about this. He's a flippin' moron. If they put the interview up on the website I'll post the link.
Old 11-20-03, 11:30 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
F Ballzino. No talent ass clown.
Old 11-20-03, 05:09 PM
Cool New Member

Just found this and Russell Simmons supports Em:

from allhiphop.com

Russell Simmons' Hip-Hop Summit Action Network (HHSAN) has released a statement revealing its position on controversial lyrics Eminem wrote about African-Americans in a rap recited in 1993.

The tape was released to the media at a press conference in New York City on Wednesday, by Source founder Dave Mays and his partner, Raymond "Benzino" Scott.

On the 10-year-old tape, Eminem raps about an ex-girlfriend, who happened to be African-American and also makes disparaging comments about African-American women in general. In addition, the rapper used the “N-word” as well in a lyric referring to Sir Mix-A-Lot’s “Baby Got Back.”

"These lyrics are disgusting, but the oneness of hip-hop culture has transformed many young people in trailer parks around the country away from their parentsą old mindset of white supremacy," Russell Simmons said. "We believe Eminem's apology is sincere and forthright. He continues not only to be an icon of hip-hop, but also has evolved into a good soldier who gives back money, time and energy to the community, encouraging this generation of youth to reach their highest aspirations."

This past April, the HHSAN honored Eminem at their Detroit Summit. The Detroit native was granted the National Outstanding Achievement Award for his charity work and hands-on support of youth nationwide.

Dr. Benjamin Chavis, President of HHSAN, said that the race card is often used to divide the hip-hop culture.

"Hip-hop culture transcends race," Chavis noted. "We, therefore, must be careful as to how the race card is played to divide people rather than to encourage unity in the struggle for freedom, justice and equality for all."

The support of Simmons' non-profit organization comes on the heels of Eminem apologizing for the remarks, saying they were made out of anger and frustration.

Mays and Scott said they plan to issue a recording of the CD in each copy of the February issue of The Source.

Eminem has accused the magazine of having a "personal vendetta" against him and the artists associated with him.

The Source has refused to take the raps as “foolishness,” as Eminem put it in a retort. "These are racist remarks by someone who has the ability to influence millions of minds," said editor-in-chief Kim Osorio to New York Newsday.

The tape is the latest in a series of insults hurled at each other, which includes diss records from both sides, The Source printing articles and posters aimed at discrediting Eminem and Eminem smashing his Source Award to pieces this year at Hot 97's Summer Jam concert.
Old 11-21-03, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hey, if I ever make a rap cd you can lay money down that I'll be slingin' the "N-word" on ever other song. I already have an idea of the first song on the cd, a cover of an old rap tune. Some people put too much into that word.
Old 11-22-03, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's pretty obvious the guy's not a racist.
Old 11-22-03, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just don't see why dropping the "n" word in a song would be rascist if used in the same context as any other rap song. I wouldn't go into a circle of blacks and say the word, but I would say it in a rap song or even a movie. Didn't Jackie Chan say it in Rush Hour 2?
Old 11-22-03, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Rzarecta
"These lyrics are disgusting, but the oneness of hip-hop culture has transformed many young people in trailer parks around the country away from their parentsą old mindset of white supremacy," Russell Simmons said.

Yeah, cuz everyone knows that trailer parks breed white supremacy...

He defends a "racist" statement by making one...
Old 11-23-03, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The interview he (Benzino) gave to Kroq is up. I don't think you can direct link...

So go here: http://www.kroq.com/kroqnow/kroqnow.html

And its the 4th one down on the left.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.