Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Enterprise 11/19/03

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-03, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Enterprise 11/19/03

This summary has a spoiler, so I'm tagging this time.

Episode Title: "Similitude"

Spoiler:
When Trip suffers a catastrophic injury, his only hope for survival is a transplant from a "mimetic simbiot" – a clone – which Phlox grows from one of his exotic creatures. But it's a very troubling solution.
Written By: Manny Coto
Directed By: LeVar Burton
Old 11-19-03, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmmm. that calls for t'pol decontamination!
Old 11-19-03, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think this is Coto's first writing effort since coming on board as Co-Executive Producer. I've liked a lot of his stuff in the past, so perhaps this won't suck ...

das

... then again, humans might fly out of my butt.
Old 11-19-03, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
Old 11-19-03, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey

Let's see if Enterprise can have three episodes in a row that don't totally suck.
Old 11-19-03, 03:32 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Are Berman and Braga still involved? Yes? Then it will suck.
Old 11-19-03, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Now, now, chil’n. Some folks round here don’t take kindly to all the fun we’re having.
Old 11-19-03, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i liked it. not as good as the past couple of weeks but not as bad as others.

but the whole memory on dna stuff doesn't go with all the other clone encounters in the star trek world. maybe you can blame it on the little symbiant thing that cloned him
Old 11-19-03, 09:18 PM
Enormous Genitals

So? Did it suck? (I didn't watch.)
Old 11-19-03, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

didn't you read what i just wrote?!?!

learn to read lik me!!!
Old 11-19-03, 09:23 PM
Enormous Genitals

I never read your posts. I have you on ignore.

D'oh!
Old 11-19-03, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Lik Mi
I never read your posts. I have you on ignore.
I send quite a number of faxes. I'm always tempted to include the phrase, "Please call immediately if you don't receive this fax."

Think anybody will notice?
Old 11-19-03, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really liked the episode. I thought it was nice to see T'Pol making one of his dreams kinda come true.
Old 11-19-03, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This episode was a seriously flawed concept (Sim gaining all of Trip’s knowledge and experience) executed poorly (“I suddenly realized it’s my favorite dessert and I don’t know why in spite of the fact that it’s been explained”) surrounded by a moral lesson that hasn’t a clue where it’s going (we need to make this clone no matter what/OMG it’s gonna die!!), the ending of which holds about as much surprise as the 2nd viewing of “Let That Be Your Last Battlefield.”

There are only two reasons for such inept writing:

They have such a low opinion of the audience that they expected us to be surprised; or

They actually believe they are making Emmy material, that OJ is innocent, and that Michael Jackson doesn’t mess with little boys.
Old 11-20-03, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A fine example of exactly what's wrong with Trek. Not only today, but in years past as well. It doesn't take enough chances. And because it doesn't take chances, nothing is ever unexpected. You knew immediately it wasn't Trip who died and after the clone was introduced, the ending was seen from a mile away.

Originally posted by lisadoris
Let's see if Enterprise can have three episodes in a row that don't totally suck.
Nope.
Old 11-20-03, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Taking chances? Are you kidding? Every time they “put pen to paper” they’re taking the chance that someone will discover they can’t write their way out of a Dr. Seuss plot.
Old 11-20-03, 08:10 AM

My opinion of this ep would have been higher if the clone ended up being the survivor but otherwise I agree the episode was flawed.
Old 11-20-03, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I liked it. For once the captain made a hard decision, and then when it came back to bite him on the ass, he had to make an even harder decision. I liked the way Sim just accepted things at first, and then when push came to shove, he really tried to survive instead of sacrificing himself blindly because the captain said so. The stuff with T'Pol was good, since it's showing that she really is having a hard time suppressing her emotions. I hope they introduce a love triangle type tension between Trip, T'Pol and Archer (but I doubt it'll happen).

The show seems to be hitting it's stride this season. I keep thinking that this is the feel that Voyager should've had, one ship vs the universe.

D
Old 11-21-03, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally posted by Strafe
My opinion of this ep would have been higher if the clone ended up being the survivor but otherwise I agree the episode was flawed.
I was thinking the same thing especially since there was a Voyager episode that replaced the real Harry Kim with an alternate universe Harry Kim.

This is the 2nd week in a row they copied or almost copied a story contrivance from Voyager.

Oh well, at least they're staying out of caves!
Old 11-21-03, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Well I finally watched it and it wsn't as bad as I had anticipated. I agree it would have been better to have the clone remain but I don't think the writers are there just yet. I was also reminded of the Voyager episode where Neelix and Tuvok were merged because of some transporter accident and they had to decide what to do.

It would have been nice to see how Trip's situation effected the rest of the crew especially having them interact with Sim. I'm quite sure both Tripp and Sim dealt with other members of the cast. But hey, at least Mayweather and Hoshi had lines in this ep!

Question, will Trip retain Sim's memories? Or are the writers just gonna let that kiss go. Granted, I don't care for the Trip/T'Pol relationship so I wouldn't complain loudly if we never heard about it again but on the other hand, I don't like loose ends.
Old 11-21-03, 11:06 AM

I agree with ya lisadoris

Wasn't best I have seen but wasn't the worst. Likewise I wouldn't be surprised if he retained Sims memory and would like to see exactly that happen to cause a little more tension in the crew.

I don't think that the story was as bad as some of you hack it out to be. Mayhaps many of you have grown to expect to much from this show or any other and simply cannot watch a tv show for the simple amusement of it anymore.

I'm not saying that to be mean but I know I often find myself doing the same things when watching some shows or movies. I get more into technical crap about the show then simply enjoying the show.

Oh well. I liked it.
Old 11-21-03, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Awwjwah
Mayhaps many of you have grown to expect to much from this show or any other and simply cannot watch a tv show for the simple amusement of it anymore.

In other words: pay no attention to the bad writing, poor acting, plot holes, continuity errors, overused Trek clichés and 2D characterizations?
Old 11-21-03, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by Chew

In other words: pay no attention to the bad writing, poor acting, plot holes, continuity errors, overused Trek clichés and 2D characterizations?
No.

What I am saying is that if that is all you see when watching a tv show why do you bother?

If something causes me to feel so much negativity after watching it I stop watching the show/series. I stopped watching DS9 untill a friend told me that the story lines got better with the start of the dominion war. I stopped watching Buffy way back in season two for the same reasons.

I mean I kinda feel bad for you guys that get upset at what you point out above. I just don't understand why week in and week out you all subject yourself to watching when it's apparent you don't enjoy it.

I don't mean this as a flame mind you, more of an inquiry as to how you guys think because many of you make great points and seem to research this at length.
Old 11-21-03, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Haven't read my sig have ya?
Old 11-21-03, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Assuming the writers thought that deeply, one could say that N’Pol kissed Sim to show some affection for Trip without showing affection TO Trip. Then Trip would get that memory from Sim and could give N’Pol a little wink now and again. Good for an inside-joke chuckle or two.

But then:
Originally posted by lisadoris
I don't think the writers are there just yet.
They should be up to speed in a coupla years.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.