Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

LOTR - TTT EE Missing Scene?

Old 11-19-03, 02:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quite a while ago I read that one of the new scenes in the EE included Eowyn defending/leading the refugees in the caves as the Uruks were invading. I seem to recall seeing a pic of her in the cave with a sword, it was a tight shot so I cannot elaborate further on it.

Anyone have any info on this or other scenes that were shot but abandoned?

The new Faramir/Boromir scenes were awesome, by the way.
Old 11-19-03, 10:10 AM

They shot a lot more footage for Helms Deep, including Arwen fighting alongside Aragorn, but they decided to abandon that and focus on what the main characters were doing during the battle.

Then there's also the Smeagol/Deagol and Saruman/Wormtongue scenes that were intended for TT but will now be in ROTK/ROTK-EE.
Old 11-19-03, 10:27 AM

If I am not mistaken all of the Saruman/Wormtongue scenes have been cut from ROTK.

"Christopher Lee Cut from 'Return of the King'

Lord Of The Rings actor Christopher Lee is fuming after discovering all of his scenes have been cut from the third and final fantasy epic. The 81-year-old, who plays Saruman in the first two Lord Of The Rings films, says he was "shocked" and mystified by his exclusion from The Return Of The King - which hits cinemas worldwide next month - and has vowed to boycott the star-studded premieres. Lee says, "The only reason I'm able to say this is because it was on the internet and has been for some days. I only heard recently. As far as I'm concerned, I'm only telling you this because it has been revealed on the internet, someone has talked and it certainly wasn't me. Of course I am very shocked, that's all I can say. If you want to know why you would have to ask the company New Line or director Peter Jackson and his associates because I still don't really know why. I can't say any more because I signed a confidentiality agreement and I honored my word." And after being asked if he planned to attend any of the premieres, Lee snapped back, "No, what's the point? What's the point of going? None at all."

http://www.imdb.com/PeopleNews/2003/20031113.html
Old 11-19-03, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Also there was another scene in TTT final preview with Elrond and his daughter - "you have the gift of foresight, tell me what you've seen"

And that really long shot of Eewyn standing outside Rohan.
Old 11-19-03, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Huh? that doesn't make sense. I don't remember his character having closure in the TTs.
I'll beleive it when I see it.
Old 11-19-03, 10:36 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Supposedly the Saruman/Wormtongue scene(s) will be restored for the EE, FWIW. I could say more but I don't want to hijack the thread.
Old 11-19-03, 10:42 AM

Doug: Afraid it's true. It's been confirmed by PJ himself. In fact, he was the one that first revealed it in a discussion with Harry Knowles. Originally they held the 7-minute scene from the end of TTT because it interfered with the denoument. They intended to put it at the opening of RotK, but in viewing a rough cut of the third film, decided it confused the focus (the chief adversary of the final film being Sauron, not Saruman) and felt like a holdover from the previous film. In retrospect they probably should have included it at the end of TTT, as it is in the book, but oh well. I guess we'll be able to decide for ourselves when RotK: EE comes out.

And if you're feeling bad about the unresolved thread, just remember how abruptly Ralph Bakshi's "Lord of the Rings" ended. Helm's Deep is over and then you hear a narrator basically tell you "And then lots of other stuff happened. The End."

Last edited by BeckysBoy; 11-19-03 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-19-03, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Malakie
If I am not mistaken all of the Saruman/Wormtongue scenes have been cut from ROTK.

"Christopher Lee Cut from 'Return of the King'

Lord Of The Rings actor Christopher Lee is fuming after discovering all of his scenes have been cut from the third and final fantasy epic. The 81-year-old, who plays Saruman in the first two Lord Of The Rings films, says he was "shocked" and mystified by his exclusion from The Return Of The King - which hits cinemas worldwide next month - and has vowed to boycott the star-studded premieres. Lee says, "The only reason I'm able to say this is because it was on the internet and has been for some days. I only heard recently. As far as I'm concerned, I'm only telling you this because it has been revealed on the internet, someone has talked and it certainly wasn't me. Of course I am very shocked, that's all I can say. If you want to know why you would have to ask the company New Line or director Peter Jackson and his associates because I still don't really know why. I can't say any more because I signed a confidentiality agreement and I honored my word." And after being asked if he planned to attend any of the premieres, Lee snapped back, "No, what's the point? What's the point of going? None at all."

http://www.imdb.com/PeopleNews/2003/20031113.html
Different scene. In the TTT:EE it is when Wormtounge first gets kicked out and rolls over to Eisengard to meet Saurmon.
Old 11-19-03, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by steebo777
Different scene. In the TTT:EE it is when Wormtounge first gets kicked out and rolls over to Eisengard to meet Saurmon.
What? Are you saying the Eowyn with sword scene is a different scene or commenting about Saruman being cut?
Old 11-19-03, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts
A glimpse of the Eowyn scene -- where she is getting ready to hack up an Orc in the caves of Helms Deep -- can be seen in the TTT preview on the FOTR EE.

I'm quite disappointed that this wasn't included on TTT:EE, as well. It nicely foreshadows some plot points in ROTK.
Old 11-19-03, 01:22 PM

I suspect they cut out Eowyn in the caves because they *didn't* want to foreshadow that plot point in ROTK. Eowyn's motivation to do what she does in ROTK would make less sense if she had had the chance to hack up orcs in TTT. "What do you fear most?" "A cage."