Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Two Towers EE Collector's set question: Removing Gollum ?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-03, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you remove the Gollum statue from the package without destroying either the box or the styrofoam holding him in it ? I puzzeled over this for several minutes to no avail. Anyone ?
Old 11-18-03, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm waiting for someone else to figure this out first. Anybody have any ideas?

Mordred
Old 11-18-03, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sometimes you just gotta destroy the box.
Old 11-18-03, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Two Towers EE Collector's set question: Removing Gollum ?

Originally posted by VoreLord
How do you remove the Gollum statue from the package without destroying either the box or the styrofoam holding him in it ? I puzzeled over this for several minutes to no avail. Anyone ?

I'm so glad I'm not the only one running into this issue. I got mine yesterday and fooled with it for 5 minutes before setting it aside an thinking "I'll just wait to see if one of the other DVDTalk-ers figures it out." So funny how we all think alike.

On a serious note, I really hope that somebody figures it out. It really is a nice box and I would hate to be forced to destroy it in order to get the statue out.
Old 11-18-03, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It is tough, but it can be done without completely destroying the box. Here's the scoop on what I did...

First, pry the two rectangular cardboard supports (the ones holding the styrofoam) away from the back of the box (there may be some tearing, but not much if you are careful). Then "fold" that section of the picture off to the side, toward the triangular cardboard support in the front corner. Once this is out of the way, you should be able to pry the styrofoam out the box. It may seem like the styrofoam is still wedged in there, but it isn't. It is just glued to the bottom of the box. Once I had the styrofoam out, and removed the statue, I just put the styrofoam back, folded the picture back into place, and closed the box.
Old 11-18-03, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i have to pick up that deluxe set after work tonight. damn, guess they couldn't figure out a better way of securing the statue down than to glue the styrofoam down. pretty much kills the probability of keeping everything intact! d'oh!
Old 11-18-03, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by RoboDad
It is tough, but it can be done without completely destroying the box. Here's the scoop on what I did...
Thanks for the advice . . . I gave it a try and am happy to say that everything, at least visible, is undamaged and Gollum is free from his styrofoam prison. The only damage was to the lower part of the styrofoam and some of the inside of the cardboard (but it's not visible behind the picture paper).

The only thing I would add to your instructions would be to have a crowbar and chisel ready to use to remove the styrofoam from the bottom of the box. What were they thinking??
Old 11-18-03, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

LMAO on this thread
Old 11-18-03, 04:01 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Oh, I thought this was about a "Phantom Edit" like when they took Jar-Jar out of Episode 1.
Old 11-18-03, 04:04 PM
ccb

gollum gift set

hello, i come from the netherlands and have also orderd the gift set, but soon isnt soon in my case.Does anyone not want to order the gollum statue, can i get the code from him/her.Because i will get the gift set, but dont now when they are planning to send it.
Could someone please help me
ccb
Old 11-18-03, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
Oh, I thought this was about a "Phantom Edit" like when they took Jar-Jar out of Episode 1.
LOL ! Could you imagine if someone removed Gollum and inserted Jar Jar and vice versa ? I think Episode I would have been better with Gollum in it !!

Thanks for the Gollum extraction information RoboDad !!
Old 11-18-03, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It took me 10 minutes to do, but I managed to remove Gollum with very little damage to the box (non of it visible from the outside). Here's what I did:

1. Remove the 3 cardboard wedges. I used an exacto knife to keep from tearing things up too bad. I also managed to keep the little paper backdrop in tact. Just be careful and you shouldn't screw things up too much.

2. Next, go in through the bottom of the box. That's right, turn the sucker over and open it up from the underside. It doesn't want to go at first, but I was able to pry it open without creasing the flaps too bad.

3. Once the bottom is open, I used the knife to carefully cut away at the glue holding the styrophome in place. This took a little time, but it worked great. Gollum should now be free. Just lift him out of the box, cut away the plasitc bindings, and there you go.
Old 11-18-03, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

what a bunch of morons! How do you wipe your ass?
Old 11-18-03, 08:26 PM

Step 1: Turn Box over and rip bottom off.
Step 2: Rip Gollum from his plastic bindings.

Hehe

I'm so impatient.
Old 11-18-03, 08:48 PM

Anyone here have a digital camera can take a good detailed picture of Smeagle? Please!
Old 11-18-03, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Ronin008
Anyone here have a digital camera can take a good detailed picture of Smeagle? Please!
Ask and you shall receive. Click for the big pictures.

Overall I like the statue. The only problem is, like anything both handpainted and mass-produced, the paint job seems a tad sloppy when closely scrutinized.
Old 11-18-03, 11:54 PM

Pictures of my "Gollum/Smeagol"

A couple of thoughts:

-All Gollum's are NOT created equal. Looking over a few of them at BestBuy, it was quickly apparent that some looked nicer than others. Some looked dull/flat due to less of the 'highlight' skin color that brings out a lot of the textures in the sculpt. Others had a strange 'plastic' look to them. I spent about 5 minutes picking out the best looking one (they had tons)

-The statue does in fact (in my eyes) look much better in person than those promo images of it. Those stills left the impression that it would be smooth and glossy like porcelin and it is not.

-I'm pleased with the statue, although it's not quite on par with the regular Sideshow line (see: Balrog). Still, I can not foresee forking out $80 for the companion angry Gollum statue when the DVD + statue only cost me $50.

Last edited by chucks888; 11-19-03 at 12:04 AM.
Old 11-19-03, 12:06 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by caiman
It took me 10 minutes to do, but I managed to remove Gollum with very little damage to the box (non of it visible from the outside). Here's what I did:

1. Remove the 3 cardboard wedges. I used an exacto knife to keep from tearing things up too bad. I also managed to keep the little paper backdrop in tact. Just be careful and you shouldn't screw things up too much.

2. Next, go in through the bottom of the box. That's right, turn the sucker over and open it up from the underside. It doesn't want to go at first, but I was able to pry it open without creasing the flaps too bad.

3. Once the bottom is open, I used the knife to carefully cut away at the glue holding the styrophome in place. This took a little time, but it worked great. GOLLUM SHOULD NOW BE FREE. Just lift him out of the box, cut away the plasitc bindings, and there you go.
4. After restraining the now 'free' Gollum, wrestle him to the ground and shove hin the basement. Occasionally give him food and water, at your discretion.
Old 11-19-03, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Giles
4. After restraining the now 'free' Gollum, wrestle him to the ground and shove hin the basement. Occasionally give him food and water, at your discretion.
Eeeeeehhhh! Master tricked us! Bad humanses!!
Old 11-19-03, 02:20 AM

I just wanna know, where did chucks888 get this set for under $50?
Old 11-19-03, 03:19 AM

Thank you Caiman and Chucks888 for the pictures. Unfortunately it does not look as plush as I had hoped, therefore does not warrant the extra $40 Canadian dollars.

I wonder if it's possible for those who have viewed the supplemental "The Evolution of Gollum" can make a few comments on what they thought. I'm a film student and would like to decide whether or not this can enhance my understand of how Gollum was brought to life using CG.

Thank you again for doing the pictures; your efforts are greatly appriciated!

P.S Would anyone be willing to sell their 5th disc ? I'm quite frankly not too thrilled about the statue, but the fifth disc looks and sounds interesting.

Last edited by Ronin008; 11-19-03 at 03:28 AM.
Old 11-19-03, 07:15 AM

Thank you Caiman and Chucks888 for the pictures. Unfortunately it does not look as plush as I had hoped, therefore does not warrant the extra $40 Canadian dollars.

I wonder if it's possible for those who have viewed the supplemental "The Evolution of Gollum" can make a few comments on what they thought. I'm a film student and would like to decide whether or not this can enhance my understand of how Gollum was brought to life using CG.

Thank you again for doing the pictures; your efforts are greatly appriciated!

P.S Would anyone be willing to sell their 5th disc ? I'm quite frankly not too thrilled about the statue, but the fifth disc looks and sounds interesting.
The fifth disc is mainly about the WETA/Sideshow collectables and the making of the Gollum statue. It's really interesting and it has alot of information about the WETA/Sideshow line of collectables from concept to completion and even has footage of Peter Jackson's private collection of resin kits and film related statues.

The big Gollum documentary is on the first "Appendice" disc and that one is excellent l !!
Old 11-19-03, 07:55 AM

Originally posted by rushmore223
Costco: $49.99
Old 11-19-03, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by rushmore223
Amazon w/STL = $50.35 shipped.

I went to best buy so I could 1.get it on release day 2. pick out the best statue.

I will return the one I get from amazon to best buy when I get it. When all said and done there's a whopping $15 difference after tax. I'm glad I ordered from amazon.

edit: Oh wow, just got the one from amazon. Really, I'm amazed. I've ordered from them before and never got anything close to release day. And keep in mind this is the slowest of the slow FREE shipping.

Last edited by chucks888; 11-19-03 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-19-03, 02:34 PM

I would suggest pulling up next to it in the ole Viper Blue and using an EzeReacher to carefully extract the statue from the dumpster... er, box.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.