Community
Search

Star Trek: Voyager packaging

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-03, 12:41 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Star Trek: Voyager packaging

TVShowsonDVD.com is reporting (via StarTrek.com) that the specs have been announced for the Star Trek: Voyager season sets. The article's at http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=837, and includes a picture of what the sets will look like.

As has become customary, the first word about new Star Trek DVDs comes first from StarTrek.com, where they have just announced these details about Star Trek: Voyager - The Complete First Season, warping home on Feb. 24th:

Star Trek: Voyager on DVD in 2004

Now that you've stocked up on Star Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine DVDs, start clearing another shelf for the next Trek series. Star Trek: Voyager arrives on DVD starting in February 2004, courtesy of Paramount Home Entertainment.

February 24 will see the release of Season One in its entirety in a five-disc collector's box set. The set includes all 15 episodes from the first season, exclusive featurettes and bonus material. A new season of Voyager will be available every other month.

The contents of the set are as follows:

Disc 1: "Caretaker," "Parallax," "Time and Again"

Disc 2: "Phage," "The Cloud, "Eye of the Needle," "Ex Post Facto"

Disc 3: "Emanations," "Prime Factors," "State of Flux," "Heroes and Demons"

Disc 4: "Cathexis," "Faces," "Jetrel," "Learning Curve"

Disc 5: Special Features:

"Braving The Unknown: Season One": Includes new interviews with Executive Producers Rick Berman, Michael Piller and Jeri Taylor discussing how they created the series. The trio reveals the challenges of creating fresh, new characters, a new premise and the risks of sending the crew into unfamiliar Trek territory.
"Voyager Time Capsule: Kathryn Janeway": A new, exclusive interview with Kate Mulgrew talking about how she landed the role of Janeway, the challenges of playing a female captain and her Broadway play on Katharine Hepburn, "Tea At Five." Also includes archival interviews with the actress and rare behind-the-scenes footage.
"The First Captain: Genevieve Bujold": Reveals rare footage and outtakes of Ms. Bujold as Captain Janeway, with commentary by Executive Producer Rick Berman.
"Cast Reflections: Season One": Voyager's principal cast members discuss their reactions to joining the Trek franchise, getting fan mail, and auditioning. Also featured: Armin Shimerman discussing his role as Quark in the pilot episode.
"On Location With the Kazon": Supervising Producer David Livingston guides viewers on an exclusive tour of the desert locale used for the Kazon Village in the pilot episode. Includes interviews with Director Rick Kolbe and behind-the-scenes footage of the cast.
"Red Alert: Visual Effects Season One": Dan Curry and the Visual Effects crew give a blow-by-blow of some spectacular visual effects created for Season One. Highlights include: behind-the-scenes footage of exploding space station, utilizing fire elements in crashing Chakotay's ship and secrets of shooting the Voyager ship model.
"Launching Voyager On The Web": Veteran Web site designer and producer Marc Wade explains how, in the early days of the internet, an interactive Voyager Web site was created to help launch the series. Included is rare footage of Kate Mulgrew and Robert Picardo playing their roles for the Web-based trivia game, plus an overview of Star Trek's history on the Web.
"Real Science With Andre Bormanis": Science Consultant and writer Bormanis explores how the writers strive for authenticity by incorporating real space phenomena and scientific theories. For Season One, Andre discusses how Hubble photos helped create "the Badlands," voyaging through wormholes, and the possibilities of time travel.
"Lost Transmissions From The Delta Quadrant": Hidden in the Voyager menu, viewers who search and click with their DVD remote can find special interview clips with Kate Mulgrew, Michael Piller, Brannon Braga and guest star Vaughn Armstrong (from "Eye of the Needle").

The Season One DVDs are presented in full screen with newly remixed Dolby Digital English 5.1 tracks and English Dolby Surround. The set is expected to be priced at under $100. Total running time for all five discs is over 728 minutes. The discs are closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.
No new word on Original Series sets, though Paramount's ad campaign for its existing Trek says "COMING THROUGHOUT 2004: Star Trek And Star Trek Voyager On DVD Available In Individual Season Box Sets."

Last edited by JasonF; 11-18-03 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-18-03, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks great! I'll definately be picking these sets up as well! With Voyager and TOS box sets dropping next year, my Trek cravings will be satiated in total! Thanks for the info and link Jason.
Old 11-18-03, 03:19 PM

Looks like DS9-style thin trays for the discs, inside of those awful neon colors.

I will definitely be skipping this series.
Old 11-18-03, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No doubt the packaging in region two will be far sturdier.

Also, season one is priced at $100.00. A rip off considering the season is shorter!
Old 11-18-03, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
I really wanted to like Voyager. Maybe I'll pick up Season 1 and try it again.
Old 11-18-03, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally posted by calhoun07
No doubt the packaging in region two will be far sturdier.

Also, season one is priced at $100.00. A rip off considering the season is shorter!
I had hoped they'd fix that for the DVDs. They took the last four eps of season 1 and mixed them with the first 4 eps of season 2. So the stardates bounce back and forth. I think they did it again at the end of S2 for S3. Also, a lot of the first season eps were out of order IIRC.

It was OK with TOS, but VGR had a semblance of storyline at times.
Old 11-18-03, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Voyager willl probably be the only Star Trek series I pick up. I remember loving it when it first came on - but then lost track of it durin season 3.
Old 11-18-03, 04:08 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
I really wanted to like Voyager. Maybe I'll pick up Season 1 and try it again.
Unlike fine wine, Voy does not improve with age.
Old 11-18-03, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cant say I like the covers too much, they are too bright. Almost thought I was looking a tellytubby boxset there for a moment

I still need to collect the TNG boxsets before I even think about these (TNG was always my fav )
Old 11-18-03, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The show is good but those cases are ugly, my "Star TreK" shelf is going look pretty wierd with all of those in there.
Old 11-18-03, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been very happy with the DS9 packaging (MUCH MUCH better than the Next Generation boxes), so I'm pleased to see that the Voyager ones look similar. (Except for burning our retinas out with that neon...)

I really wish that Paramount would slow down the releases, though. Every other month - cripes! After reviewing my way through nearly all of Next Generation and all of DS9, I feel out of breath... I'm looking forward to Voyager and TOS, but one season every 3-4 months would be more reasonable!
Old 11-18-03, 06:35 PM

I have a feeling that paramount is going to be sadly disappointed if they think they are going to get 100.00 for each season of Voyager. I'm a big star trek fan, and there is no way I would pay that for these episodes. I recluctantly paid that for DS9, and I thought it was a better series in every way.
Old 11-18-03, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ordway
I've been very happy with the DS9 packaging (MUCH MUCH better than the Next Generation boxes), so I'm pleased to see that the Voyager ones look similar. (Except for burning our retinas out with that neon...)
The most positive thing to say about this kind of packaging is that it guarantees you will never get a "floater" in your DVD case. However, that could also be a problem easilly solved adopting packaging like Futurama and having a box with individual thin pack cases for each disc, as those cases have rings that hold the DVDs in place and also guarantee no floaters.

The other advantage is that it takes up so little space on my shelf. Each season of DS9 takes up just a quarter inch or so more than two normal size keep cases. But then again, you can reserve a lot of space with thin packs, but I don't think the series sets would be quite as slim.

The flimsy plastic is the biggest draw back. I think it's worse than a snapper.
Old 11-18-03, 10:05 PM

Yippy
Old 11-19-03, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ordway
Agreed. I definitely prefer the flexible yet sturdy plastic of the DS9 sets to that cardboard claptrap for TNG.

Originally posted by calhoun07
having a box with individual thin pack cases for each disc
Is it possible that that's what these are? They sort of look like it. It would be a bit of a departure, but so far each series already has been a bit of one from the previous one.

Also, re read the specs, guys...it says "Under $100.00"

So far, the retail for most of the sets has been @ $130.00-$140.00 but you aren't going to have to pay that from most any place. I think these sets will be somewhere in that vicinity, and be available with similar steep discounts most places any of us are going to be looking for them.
Old 11-19-03, 03:21 AM

w00t!
nice bonus features!

anyone needs a few video tapes?
Old 11-19-03, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jessebo
I have a feeling that paramount is going to be sadly disappointed if they think they are going to get 100.00 for each season of Voyager. I'm a big star trek fan, and there is no way I would pay that for these episodes. I recluctantly paid that for DS9, and I thought it was a better series in every way.
I've been getting my DS9 for $50-$60 on Amazon's marketplace.
Old 11-19-03, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

One thing I can't wait to see is the infamous Genevieve Bujold Captain Janeway footage.
Old 11-19-03, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wish they would spread out the releases as well. For almost four years I have bought all the TOS, TNG, and DS9. This only leaves 3 months for me to catch my breath and save up money for the Vger series. I don't think I like those colors for the box sets though.
Old 11-19-03, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The netflix queue is about to get longer.
Old 11-19-03, 12:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Buck Turgidson
Also, re read the specs, guys...it says "Under $100.00"

They said the same thing originally about TNG. No doubt the "retail" on these will be the same as TNG and DS9.
Old 11-19-03, 02:17 PM

I can see retail being similar to TNG and DS9, but not for the first season, which lasted only 15 episodes -- that's 11 fewer than every other season of Voyager, DS9 and TNG (although TNG has one 22-episode season, and DS9 had one 20-episode season). Still, that's a huge difference, and the price should reflect that.
Old 11-19-03, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like I'll be going R2 for these as well.
Old 11-20-03, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So...is das planning on saving up for these?

Old 11-20-03, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DrOBoogie1
I can see retail being similar to TNG and DS9, but not for the first season, which lasted only 15 episodes -- that's 11 fewer than every other season of Voyager, DS9 and TNG (although TNG has one 22-episode season, and DS9 had one 20-episode season). Still, that's a huge difference, and the price should reflect that.
I really don't think that little fact will stop Paramount from charging the same amount as all the previous Trek sets.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.