Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

A Boy & His Dog (11/25)- anamorphic?

Old 11-14-03, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if this is a new transfer or the same as before. I think I rented it & it was pretty crappy (the quality, not the movie), and can't remember if it was even widescreen. I have it preordered, but will probably remove it if it's the same transfer.
Old 11-14-03, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I read a thread at HTF that claimed this was still non-anamorphic. I don't know why they bother recycling the same old crap. Same with Texas Chainsaw... What a waste.
Old 11-14-03, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's not only still non-anamorphic; it's basically the same DVD as the previous two versions--just now under the First Run Features label with the only addition being some trailers for other First Run titles. The commentary, trailer and non-anamorphic transfer are the same. There are no liner notes, unlike at least one previous version, just a First Run catalog.
Old 11-14-03, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by Easy
I don't know why they bother recycling the same old crap.
I wish they'd done a better release, of course, but since the old one was OOP before I was able to get it, I'll take what I can get!
Old 11-15-03, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Easy
I don't know why they bother recycling the same old crap.
Because we keep buying the same old crap. If we keep buying the same old crap they'll keep selling it. There's no monetary incentive for the distributors to sink money into an unadorned product that will sell without adornments. Anamorphic transfer doesn't mean anything to JSP, yet.
Old 11-15-03, 09:13 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
But of course it means "EVERYTHING" to someone who has a 16x9 screen with a progressive scan DVD player!!!
Old 11-15-03, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

At least you don't have to pay $75+ on eBay to get it now though. It may be a Non-Anamorphic crappy transfer, but it's better than nothing.
Old 11-15-03, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Joe Molotov
At least you don't have to pay $75+ on eBay to get it now though. It may be a Non-Anamorphic crappy transfer, but it's better than nothing.
No, it Isn't. I would rather do without than have another non- anamorphic crappy transfer. garolo is exactly right. If we keep buying crappy product they have no incentive to improve.
Old 11-15-03, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One other thing I forgot to mention. Those of us who intend not to buy it should write to the studio (who is it, by the way? Who is First Run? ) and tell them why. That is the only way to affect change.
Old 11-15-03, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Q: "...Who is First Run?..."

A: First Run Features

...the Search button on your computer (located right between "Home" and "Favorites") is your friend...

. . . . . .
Old 11-15-03, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not really. I'd rather wait to see it done the best way possible. If a DVD isn't up to the standards you expect, then you have the choice to get it now and pay more later for a special edition, or just wait. Either way, I can't see a reason to really complain because everybody has the same choice. Now complaining that they don't take the time to do it right, well, that's understandable.

Anybody know if there is an SE on the way?
Old 11-15-03, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Hendrik
Q: "...Who is First Run?..."

A: First Run Features

...the Search button on your computer (located right between "Home" and "Favorites") is your friend...

. . . . . .
OK, smart guy, want to tell me how to get around the four letter rule in search too? How do you suppose I knew that they were the distributor? Do you think maybe, someone here may have some more insight than a marketing press release? I do. That's why I asked.

Last edited by garolo; 11-15-03 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-15-03, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...erm... THERE IS NO "FOUR LETTER RULE" when you use Google or any other search engine... for instance: I found "First Run Features" - linked to above - by simply typing in "First Run"...

...the "four letter rule" you refer to applies ONLY to the dedicated (specifically, to the DVDTalk site) search engine of THIS SPECIFIC (DVDTalk) SITE...)

. . . . . .
Old 11-15-03, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Hendrik
...erm... THERE IS NO "FOUR LETTER RULE" when you use Google or any other search engine... for instance: I found "First Run Features" - linked to above - by simply typing in "First Run"...

...the "four letter rule" you refer to applies ONLY to the dedicated (specifically, to the DVDTalk site) search engine of THIS SPECIFIC (DVDTalk) SITE...)

. . . . . .
What's a Google ? Is that something like AltaVista? I'm sorry but the only thing that Arpanet or Bitnet allow via Lynx are straight text searches but I've never heard of a 'google search' that so many talk about. I do have a browser called Mosaic which I can use but there is nothing on it that says favorites.

Re 4 letter rule: Being that you have been around this community for so long I thought maybe you knew a way around it.

OK, we can stop this now. You can have the last word. I won't reply.

Last edited by garolo; 11-15-03 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-15-03, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 378 Likes on 242 Posts
Holy Shiite! I got mine for under $11 on Half.com in Feb 2001. Maybe it's time to eBay this puppy and get a new one?
"Lack of respect, wrong attitude, failure to obey authority."

Last edited by kenbuzz; 11-15-03 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-15-03, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Guys, this is First Run Features we're talking about here. This isn't like Criterion who releases these picture perfect DVDs everything, or Anchor Bay who will release and re-release a DVD over and over until they get it right. No, this is a budget DVD company, and not one that anyone would remotely label as "good". In fact, by most reports they're down right bad. No doubt the reason they're re-releasing the old A Boy and His Dog DVD is because they don't have the capabilities to make it any better than it already is. Writing them a letter isn't going to convince them to release a better Anamorphic Special Edition. And A Boy and His Dog has been OOP for almost 2 years, and if these guys are the only ones interested in re-releasing it after that amount of time, I'd say the odds of someone else coming along and re-releasing it a 3rd time are very slim. You know, this may be just me, but it's my opinion that just having a movie and being able to watch it is more important than whether it has a pristine anamorphic transfer or dts or how discs of special features it has.

Last edited by Joe Molotov; 11-15-03 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-16-03, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the info Joe. That's the kind of info I was inquiring about. According to their self tauting info they are "The Best in Independent, Foreign and Documentary Films". Yeah and I also take on faith everything some company says about itself is true.
I guess you are right about complaining to them. I suppose it would work on larger companies that care (at least a little bit) about the wares they offer. So the choices are, buy it and just be happy it's available again, buy it and complain to the company or don't buy it and complain. For me, I'll just wait and pick it up used.

Now if This Island Earth would be re-released, I would not care if it were the same bare bones disc. I'd buy that in a sec. But that's fodder for another thread.
Old 11-16-03, 09:01 AM

I paid $40 for my copy from E-Bay (I've seen some go for $65+). So, in all seriousness I would at least be happy that they re-released it.
Old 11-26-03, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Guys, this is First Run Features we're talking about here. This isn't like Criterion who releases these picture perfect DVDs everything, or Anchor Bay who will release and re-release a DVD over and over until they get it right. No, this is a budget DVD company, and not one that anyone would remotely label as "good".
You're wrong.

First Run Features is not a budget DVD company. It is an independent company that specializes in independent films and documentaries. It releases them in theaters and on DVD. Its best equivalent is Facets. Both companies release films on DVD that they they generally have the exclusive rights to--usually in competent if unspectacular (compared with, say, Criterion) presentations. You can read DVD Talk's own positive review of Tuvalu to get a good idea of what First Run's typical output is like.

A Boy and His Dog is not typical of First Run's output. I believe this is the only re-release in its catalog (and it did not release earlier versions).

In fact, by most reports they're down right bad.
It doesn't sound as if you've actually watched one of First Run's DVDs or are that familiar with the company.

No doubt the reason they're re-releasing the old A Boy and His Dog DVD is because they don't have the capabilities to make it any better than it already is.
This is merely an example of a small independent movie that never had a real corporate home changing rights from one distribution company to another. First Run released what it was given by the rights holders; it's just a distributor--for the same presentation that has now been released on DVD three different times by three different companies. The problem of getting the same old thing has much more to do with the people who own it, not the company distributing it (First Run, this go-round).

Last edited by rasalas; 11-26-03 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-26-03, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

First Run's symbol is on the Lumivision release. Were they not involved with that one?
Old 11-26-03, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by rasalas
It doesn't sound as if you've actually watched one of First Run's DVDs or are that familiar with the company.
No, I haven't. I just glanced at their website and saw that the only thing they've released is documentaries and some other obscure stuff. Then I looked for some reviews of the some of the DVDs, and read a few that said "AVOID! Get the VHS instead! Awful! Travesty!". Oh well, maybe it was just one or two of their DVDs that really sucked. I believe you if you say they're pretty good. I doubt I'm going to delve any deeper into their collection though, unless they release something else I want.
Old 11-26-03, 06:40 PM
Banned

I hav this on preorder i wunder if i shuld cancal it?
Old 11-27-03, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by B.S.Preston,ESQ
I hav this on preorder i wunder if i shuld cancal it?
This came out Tuesday, so it's too late to cancel a preorder.

Anyway, as long as you do not have one of the previuous versions, it's worth getting. It's the only way to get the movie on DVD, and this is the cheapest version.