Will The 'Elf' DVD Be Delayed?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-03, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like they did with 'The Grinch', until next christmas?
Old 11-14-03, 10:13 AM

It just struck me as something thye'd do to maximise sales....
Old 11-14-03, 10:14 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
That does seem to be the trend with holiday-themed films.
Old 11-14-03, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Probably man. Like you said, they want to maximize profits.
Old 11-14-03, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd say yes it will. More first week sales that way. Santa Clause 2 will do good.
Old 11-14-03, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Suprisingly, Christmas movies don't sell that well in June and July.
Old 11-14-03, 04:24 PM

I'm sure they'll delay the release of Elf just like they did for Adam Sandler's Eight Crazy Nights. Like the others have already said, they just want to maximize their profits and I don't blame them at all.
Old 11-14-03, 08:14 PM

All the more reason to go see it now, unless you're patient (unlike me).
Old 11-14-03, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I guess it depends on the studio. Of course even if they release it in say June, people can still buy it in November and December
Old 11-15-03, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

and The Santa Clause 2
Old 11-17-03, 11:04 AM

Of course even if they release it in say June, people can still buy it in November and December
DVDs get a big sales boost when they're released. If you release a Christmas movie in July, most people who are interested in it won't buy it right away. They'll wait until Oct-Dec. However, a lot of them might not buy when the Fall comes around because they may have forgetten about it. It's much more effective to release it at a time when most people are interested in watching it.
Old 11-17-03, 11:22 AM
Suspended

Personally, I agree with the studios on this one. I saw Elf in the theater this weekend. Pretty good Christmas movie, but there is no way that I would want to watch it after Christmas.

They will get alot more sales if they wait.

'I like to whisper too'
Old 11-17-03, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by kmac
'I like to whisper too'
"Buddy the Elf speaking . . . what's your favorite color?"
Old 11-17-03, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by kmac
Personally, I agree with the studios on this one. I saw Elf in the theater this weekend. Pretty good Christmas movie, but there is no way that I would want to watch it after Christmas.

This kind of thinking always confounds me. What difference does it make in what time of year a movie takes place? Why won't you watch a Christmas movie after Christmas? Does that mean you won't watch Easter Parade, The 10 Commandments or The Life of Brian in August? Do you realize how ridiculous it sounds that "there is no way that I would want to watch it[ELF] after Christmas." If a movie is good what difference does the time of year make? I have no problem watching A Nightmare Before Christmas, Christmas Story or The Grinch any time of the year.

But as far as DVD sales go, to maximize the demand they should wait until the Christmas mentality hits the public again next year before releasing it. With current trends that should be just after the Back to School push next September.
Old 11-17-03, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Brian McHale
DVDs get a big sales boost when they're released. If you release a Christmas movie in July, most people who are interested in it won't buy it right away. They'll wait until Oct-Dec. However, a lot of them might not buy when the Fall comes around because they may have forgetten about it. It's much more effective to release it at a time when most people are interested in watching it.
I agree with that, except I would point out a few things. Elf will sell very well, like all new releases, when it comes out. Some people may pass on it, but when the Christmas season rolls around and they see Elf on the shelves, they can get it then too. In the end, the total sales should be the same. I mean stores will make sure people don't forget about Elf next Christmas by pimping it in their ads just like they put all Christmas movies in the ads (i.e. It's a Wonderful Life).

What I'm saying is that although I'm sure sales for Christmas movies are higher during this time, I don't think the overall sales will really be effected. Instead the total sales are just spread out.

And as has been pointed out, it seems they only do this to Christmas movies. Do they wait to sell movies about school until school starts (September)? Or all scary movies until Halloween? Or all love movies until Valentine's day? I just fail to see any real logic...
Old 11-17-03, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This has got to be the worst DVD news I've heard in a long time if they do delay it for a year. This is by far my most anticipated DVD release cuz I make a cameo appearance in this movie.

My Motion Picture Debut in the Movie Elf thread in the Movie Talk Forum
Old 11-17-03, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by garolo
This kind of thinking always confounds me. What difference does it make in what time of year a movie takes place? Why won't you watch a Christmas movie after Christmas? Does that mean you won't watch Easter Parade, The 10 Commandments or The Life of Brian in August? Do you realize how ridiculous it sounds that "there is no way that I would want to watch it[ELF] after Christmas." If a movie is good what difference does the time of year make? I have no problem watching A Nightmare Before Christmas, Christmas Story or The Grinch any time of the year.
I agree 100% you, but maybe we are in the minority? I think it's kinda fun watching Christmas movies in the middle of summer sometimes, and I could watch Christmas Story any time of the year and love the hell out of it. And It's A Wonderful Life only has a Christmas scene at the end of the movie. If people didn't like watching Christmas material in other seasons, then why did the Fox Family channel run their 12 Days of Christmas specials in the middle of the summer? Perhaps there is a market for these movies earlier than Christmas, but I guess not enough of one to justify the studios releasing it.
Old 11-17-03, 04:59 PM

I suspect the reason why a lot of us only want to watch holiday movies as the holiday approaches is that we grew up before home video. The only time you could see a Christmas movie would be in the month or two leading up to Christmas. A big part of the enjoyment that I get from watching Christmas movies is the nostalgia associated with watching them when I was young during the buildup to Christmas. I love Miracle on 34th Street, but I would never watch it before Thanksgiving.

If you don't feel that way, fine, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But a lot of people feel this way. A lot of people will only watch a holiday movie during the holiday season.

And studios are going to use this to their advantage. If they blow their advertising budget plugging a Christmas movie in June or July, it would be a tremendous waste of money. Most people will not buy a Christmas movie in the summer. Period. Just because you want it does not mean it would be worthwhile for the studios to release it then. If you can't understand that, I'm sorry, but they will make more money by releasing at the beginning of Christmas season.
Old 11-17-03, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Brian McHale
I suspect the reason why a lot of us only want to watch holiday movies as the holiday approaches is that we grew up before home video. The only time you could see a Christmas movie would be in the month or two leading up to Christmas. A big part of the enjoyment that I get from watching Christmas movies is the nostalgia associated with watching them when I was young during the buildup to Christmas. I love Miracle on 34th Street, but I would never watch it before Thanksgiving.

If you don't feel that way, fine, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But a lot of people feel this way. A lot of people will only watch a holiday movie during the holiday season.

And studios are going to use this to their advantage. If they blow their advertising budget plugging a Christmas movie in June or July, it would be a tremendous waste of money. Most people will not buy a Christmas movie in the summer. Period. Just because you want it does not mean it would be worthwhile for the studios to release it then. If you can't understand that, I'm sorry, but they will make more money by releasing at the beginning of Christmas season.
So why not buy it in July and watch in in December. One certainly isn't forced to watch it in July when you buy it. the idea of buying a movie is to own it for years, not forcing you to watch it as soon as you get it.
Old 11-17-03, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
This is not a "delay" -- as a holiday film, waiting till next fall is "normal"
Old 11-18-03, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Brian,
I grew up in the 60's long before cable TV and home video. And yes the Wizard of Oz, King Kong and Mighty Joe Young were (usually) shown only on Thanksgiving; A Christmas Carol, It's a Wonderful Life, Miracle on 34th St. and the Yule Log at Xmas, The 10 Commandments and Easter Parade at Easter. It was tradition. It is still tradition. Now there is nothing to stop anyone from viewing a particular movie any time of the year. What I find ridiculous is the notion that it's wrong or in some way immoral to watch "ELF" or any other holiday movie at some time of the year that is not preordained by the programming gods.

Cable tv and moreso home video has given us the power to design our programming. If some programmer decides that Groundhog Day should be played every July 4th, I'd watch it if I had nothing better to do. But I could just as easily pull it off my shelf and and watch it now if I choose with equal enjoyment.

I know that Xmas movies are supposed to make us feel good and put us in "the mood" but why should that be relagated to only 4 weeks of the year?

Yes the studios will try to use your mind set about holiday movies to their advantage but it may behoove them to strike while iron is hot for a given movie. As long as it's not played a hundred times on the movie channels there may still be home video (I use that term to include dvd) demand for it a year out. But if JSP has seen it a number of times on tv, the demand for the DVD won't be as strong as it could be. But what do I know? I'm only a consumer.

I did not say or imply that a Christmas movie should be released to home video in July or August. Most movies today go from theatrical release to home video release in 4 or 5 months or less.
That would put it about March or April. Unlike theatric releases, home video has an indefinite shelf life. In my not so educated opinion, sales will happen based on the quality of the content and to a lesser extent the time of year. Yes, holiday related fare will sell better at that time of year.
Old 11-18-03, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by garolo
Yes the studios will try to use your mind set about holiday movies to their advantage but it may behoove them to strike while iron is hot for a given movie. As long as it's not played a hundred times on the movie channels there may still be home video (I use that term to include dvd) demand for it a year out. But if JSP has seen it a number of times on tv, the demand for the DVD won't be as strong as it could be. But what do I know? I'm only a consumer.
Well, keep in mind that the movie will not be shown on television until at least six months after the DVD is released, even if the DVD is delayed to release it close to the holidays.
Old 11-18-03, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Drexl
Well, keep in mind that the movie will not be shown on television until at least six months after the DVD is released, even if the DVD is delayed to release it close to the holidays.
So what we will get is a year of Jon Favereau plugging it on Dinner for Five. Then the special ELF reunion episode on DF5 just before the DVD release.
Old 11-18-03, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think the studio cares that a few people watch Christmas movies in June. The majority of people (yes, the dreaded Joe 6 pack hicks) that buy DVDs are not in the habit of watching Christmas movies all year round. Sure some movies are shown as part of a theme promotion but the majority will play clost to Christmas.

The studio has a certain amount of money set dedicated to marketing the DVD. They are going to use it where it will get them the most $$$. If they use their marketing $$$ to promote it in May, they would have to market it again to remind people about it again in Nov/Dec. When's the last time you saw a studio hype a movie that has been out for 1/2 year. Releasing it at Christmas will get shoppers who are buying for Christmas to decide to get it as gifts as well as people that want it for themselves.
Old 11-18-03, 12:29 PM

So why not buy it in July and watch in in December. One certainly isn't forced to watch it in July when you buy it. the idea of buying a movie is to own it for years, not forcing you to watch it as soon as you get it.
You're missing the point. Most people will not buy a movie that they won't watch for six months.

The studio has a certain amount of money set dedicated to marketing the DVD. They are going to use it where it will get them the most $$$. If they use their marketing $$$ to promote it in May, they would have to market it again to remind people about it again in Nov/Dec. When's the last time you saw a studio hype a movie that has been out for 1/2 year. Releasing it at Christmas will get shoppers who are buying for Christmas to decide to get it as gifts as well as people that want it for themselves.
Precisely...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.