Community
Search

MSN article on "Must see DVDs"

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-03, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
MSN article on "Must see DVDs"

This article I just read on MSN's site I came by while checking my hotmail account. The only thing I found 'interesting' was the following quote for The Matrix DVD:

"Anyone who's marveled at the film's bullet-time effects on a big screen won't feel cheated by seeing them on a big-screen TV at home—the utmost care went into the transfer here and though it doesn't improve Keanu Reeves' acting ability any, the revolutionary special effects will make your visual display system look like a million bucks regardless of the original price tag."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this transfer blew monkey balls. It definetly doesn't look as good as say Finding Nemo or LOTR: FOTR EE. But the line about Keanu's acting had me laughing for a few minutes.
Old 11-14-03, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: MSN article on "Must see DVDs"

Originally posted by steebo777

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this transfer blew monkey balls. It definetly doesn't look as good as say Finding Nemo or LOTR: FOTR EE. But the line about Keanu's acting had me laughing for a few minutes.
I didnt think it was bad, you also have to remember, FN and LOTR are great transfers but much muhc newer films. When Matrix came out on DVD, it was still near the begining of the DVD life.
Old 11-14-03, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, you're right about the part that Finding Nemo and LOTR: FOTR EE has a better transfer. But The Matrix DVD was released when few DVD has transfer good enough to pop your eyes out. Back in the days, almost every reviewers who tests software DVD players, or sound system uses The Matrix for their review.
Old 11-14-03, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Right, I completely understand that guys. All that I am saying is to rate this as number 3 on DVDs tat look the best is a little misleading, since it really isn't that good looking. I know the transfer was created in 99 when DVDs were first starting to get more popular, but it still shouldn't be in the top 10 of best looking DVDs.

Last edited by steebo777; 11-14-03 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-14-03, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I know the transfer was created in 97 when DVDs were first starting to get more popular, but it still shouldn't be in the top 10 of best looking DVDs.
They did the transfer two years before the movie came out? I think you mean '99.

MATT
Old 11-14-03, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
I would take "Apocolypse Now" off that list and add "The Fifth Element" instead. And I'm not even talking about the SuperBit version (which I'm sure is even better). It is one of the DVD's I throw on to show how great the DVD format is.
Old 11-14-03, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

[B
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this transfer blew monkey balls. It definetly doesn't look as good as say Finding Nemo or LOTR: FOTR EE. But the line about Keanu's acting had me laughing for a few minutes. [/B]
I, too, don't think the transfer is all that bad. But what do I know. Then again, my set is a 10 year old Toshiba. The comment about Reeve's acting is indeed a hoot. He's not a bad actor, he's just understated.
Old 11-14-03, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts
I guess people see things differently.

I always notice that these lists usually only contain mainstream movies.

I can easily find 10 DVDs that look better than any of the 10 on that list.

The Pledge is one of the best looking DVDs I've seen - but because it's merely a drama, it doesn't get included.
Old 11-14-03, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The part that got me was this line at the end of LOTR: If you can't wait for the inevitable box set that will include all three films sometime next year, invest in the Platinum Series edition. It's worth its weight in elven gold. If this person had done any research they would have found Peter Jackson has said he would not make a box set just because the EE's are the final cut.
Old 11-14-03, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Coral
I always notice that these lists usually only contain mainstream movies.

I can easily find 10 DVDs that look better than any of the 10 on that list.

The Pledge is one of the best looking DVDs I've seen - but because it's merely a drama, it doesn't get included.
Fair enough. But this sort of list is as much about "shock and awe" as it is about transfers
Old 11-14-03, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Matrix DVD picture quality is OK. Little too much high pass filtering though for my liking. I do recall some slight blocking though.

OTOH, no EE.
Old 11-14-03, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of the better list I have ever seen. I have 7 out of the 10 movies, I will bet they are some of most owned movies around.

Much better than the Rolling Stone's list.
Old 11-14-03, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The article also says

It doesn't matter whether you take the red pill and get the standard DVD, or opt for the blue pill in the form of deluxe two-disc set. Quality is great on both.
which seems to be referring to a completely different movie, Matrix Reloaded. The Matrix doesn't have a two-disc set, unless I'm grossly mistaken. I don't know how much research the author did.
Old 11-14-03, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i guess the "two disc set" is matrix, and matrix revisited
Old 11-14-03, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Pretty generic list aimed at people who are new to DVD. I have all of these in my collection
Old 11-14-03, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

The audio on this DVD is still excellent to showcase a home theater system and the video transfer was excellent when it first came out. The transfer is now good but surpassed by many newer discs.
Old 11-15-03, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes, the audio is exceptionnaly directional. If you have a 6.1 or 7.1 system, the Matrix decodes very well, as if it were mixed for Dolby EX 6.1 even though the movie predates the standard.
Old 11-15-03, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Four-year-old transfers are unlikely to be reference quality.

My choice for an entry is Ghost Ship; say what you want about the film itself, but from an image standpoint, the disc is virtually flawless, and that's why it's my choice when demo'ing my widescreen.