Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Which version of My sassy girl should i get?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-03, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking of getting my sassy girl. I've seen the director's cut version and the 2 disc special edition set. I know the 2nd disc has bonus features but do these have english subtitles? If not, then I think i'll just get the director's cut.
Old 11-13-03, 11:12 AM

If we're talking about the same 2 disc director's cut set, it does NOT have english subs on the bonus materials.
Old 11-13-03, 02:26 PM

get the HK R3 special edition with DTS, a great 2disc set
it's on Yesasia
Old 11-13-03, 07:04 PM

syphon00, do you have a direct link? I'm still not sure which version you're talking about. However more importantly, does the 2nd disc have subtitles?
Old 11-13-03, 09:59 PM
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

the korean version i think has no english sub. the HK version i not so sure.
Old 11-14-03, 08:52 AM

hi, ntuc, nice to see u here.

forget about getting subtitles for korean movies dvd extras. the cheapskate hk titles wouldn't bother to subs the extras for you given that they are selling only for US$8-15. u might get one with a mandarin track for the extra if the jap anime (not korean film) happens to be screened on tv, e.g. the popular hayao miyazaki's works. korean prints so far never had the tradition of subbing english for their extras. and for the few R1 editions, they may occasionally have english subs for one or two extras.

i wasn't the best person to ask about the hk editions as i do not have them, but so far there had been a director's cut and a theatrical cut.

as for the korean editions, the tin case edition and the 3 disc (2 disc + 1 ost cd) limited edition are long gone OOP editions. in my opinion, it is still best to get the 2 disc korean print special edition. one rare alternative is the thai print.
Old 11-14-03, 10:07 PM

Hi. On a slightly different note, could anyone tell me whether or not the directors cut significantly alters the movie? I´ve only seen the regular version, and really loved it and found it to be very complete unto itself as a film. I´m therefore a little sceptical on whether 15 minutes of new footage would improve the movie. Can anyone enlighten me on this?
Old 11-15-03, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've only seen the DC and I'm curious what it adds. My only complaint was that by the end it felt like it was starting to run too long. But I would heartily recomend the EDKO R3 Disc, Good print and the sound was pretty good even though it is only DD 2.0
Old 11-17-03, 07:45 AM

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...ection-videos/

here it is
unfortunately out of stock right now
Old 08-19-04, 10:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i bought the 2-disc Starmax release recently from yesasia, and it froze and skipped at about the hour time code, in the scene starting with the army guy holding a hostage up until the beginning of the second half title card.

I returned it and they sent me what I assumed is a new one (though the shrinkwrap looked a little weird - they don't shrinkwrap the returned dvd if they don't find the defects, do they?). I'm having similar problems with this second dvd set - picture freezes and skips, not at the same point, but in the same area.

Anyone else encounter similar problems?

I have a Toshiba SD 4900. Seems like a player issue, but I don't have any other players to test.
Old 08-19-04, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the 2-disc Starmax release as well. I've got a Philips 727 and also encountered the same problem. If I recall correctly, it starts to have problems at around 1:08:45 (towards the end of the girl's speech to the soldier), sometimes it makes it up to around 1:09:10 or so but then it locks up and the counter slowly progresses to the 2nd half title card (1:10:30) where it starts again without issue. I sometimes manage to catch a couple of frames in between but never get it to run smoothly. I thought about exchanging my copy but based now on your experience I doubt it would help.
Old 08-20-04, 03:09 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by minguy
i bought the 2-disc Starmax release recently from yesasia, and it froze and skipped at about the hour time code, in the scene starting with the army guy holding a hostage up until the beginning of the second half title card.

I returned it and they sent me what I assumed is a new one (though the shrinkwrap looked a little weird - they don't shrinkwrap the returned dvd if they don't find the defects, do they?). I'm having similar problems with this second dvd set - picture freezes and skips, not at the same point, but in the same area.

Anyone else encounter similar problems?

I have a Toshiba SD 4900. Seems like a player issue, but I don't have any other players to test.

i had the exact same problem at the exact same place. tested it on 4 different players to confirm it was a defect. returned it to dddhouse and they exchanged it for me no problems.

back on topic i own the 2 disc standard and the 1 disc DC. not a chance in hell of finding the SE though.
i like the DTS track on the standard, thats what sells me. although you dont get to see bananas in pyjamas like you do on the DC=)
Old 08-20-04, 03:28 AM

I have the 2 Disc Starmax release and I recommend it.