Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon OVERCHARGING and NOT ANSWERING CALLS!

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 11-10-03, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow. Amazon is having a bad day (and thus so am I).

An order just shipped, and they upped the charge $2.98 - I only know that from my CC (internet) and going to check the order.

Instead of free super saver shipping (-$4.98), they only took off (-$2.00) for some weird reason. WHEN they shipped of course, when I made the order, the charges were fine.

I then called their number and THEY WON'T ANSWER - "due to circumstances beyond our control, we cannot complete your call".

Well, that's a fine kettle of fish. I wonder how many extra dollars they are getting by simply adding to the cost of orders and not telling people? Not everyone will call - and it appears that those who do might not get through.
Old 11-10-03, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ok they finally answered - lets see what happens
Old 11-10-03, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fairness in reporting:

As usual, they fixed it by refunding (eventually) the overcharge to my credit card although it usually takes a week or so to appear, and (also as always) right at a credit card cycle, so it will appear next cycle.

But, also as usual, when I asked "why did I have to call at all?" and "how many OTHER people are being overcharged who DON'T call?" ---- I just get silence on the other end.
Old 11-10-03, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I was overcharged, never called, never noticed, and received e-mails from amazon stating they overcharged me, and were refunding the difference. I thought it was nice of them. I would have never noticed.
Old 11-10-03, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh great something else to worry about from Amazon. I just had an order ship yesterday but it appears from their website and email confirmation they are charging me the correct price. However the charge hasn't posted to my credit card yet.

Last edited by Laser Movies; 11-10-03 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-10-03, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Trying to be fair - Amazon almost always fixes the problem WHEN YOU CALL.

But yes, in addition to GCs disappearing, trivia nickels not being applied, STL disappearing, etc. add "not really getting free super saver shipping" to the list once an order ships.

This was an order for a DVD and a book - it appears that MIGHT have been what caused the problem, but I don't really know.
Old 11-11-03, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Seeker

This was an order for a DVD and a book - it appears that MIGHT have been what caused the problem, but I don't really know.
I checked my credit card account tonight and the charge was posted for the proper amount, but my order only involved DVDs. So you might be correct about combining books and DVDs on an order as being the cause.
Old 11-11-03, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by deadlax
I was overcharged, never called, never noticed, and received e-mails from amazon stating they overcharged me, and were refunding the difference. I thought it was nice of them. I would have never noticed.
This just happened to me last week. When I ordered the Decalogue DVD set, I had STL and several trivia discounts. I couldn't get the STL discount to apply, but since I had plenty of trivia credits, I didn't worry about it. Amazon sent me an e-mail last week stating that my $6 STL discount was being credited to my credit card. It went through the very next day.
Old 11-11-03, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I checked my order shipping today and the $50 gc i had applied disappeared. I'm keeping an eye on my cc statement to see how much they actually charge me.
Old 11-11-03, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What blows me away is you'd think proper charging would be at the top of Amazon's list to be sure to have working properly!
Old 11-12-03, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

They got back to me the same day and told me my GC would be applied. It still doesn't show up in my account that way, and my cc still isn't charged.
Old 11-13-03, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts
Yeah, I just logged in and a $25 GC was gone and I had only gotten 2 dollars off for shipping. I called and they said they would fix it, but it would take 7-10 days to appear on my card.
Old 11-16-03, 10:14 AM

I dont think any of this is intentional. The software operating their website is filled with bugs and produces all these mistakes.
Old 11-16-03, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Hobgoblin
I dont think any of this is intentional. The software operating their website is filled with bugs and produces all these mistakes.
Maybe so, but in 2000, during the height of the internet craze, I monitored all my purchases EXCEPT Amazon, because "Amazon always gets it right", whereas the others would screw things up.

You'd think they would IMPROVE over the years, as opposed to getting MUCH worse.

I now have to track EVERY Amazon order - and guess what - almost 1 in 4 get messed up somehow. That's WAY too high.
Old 11-17-03, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Hobgoblin
Sounds like they need to fire their entire IT department and get some people in there that know what they are doing.
Old 11-17-03, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by dvd-fanman
Sounds like they need to fire their entire IT department and get some people in there that know what they are doing.
I don't think their jobs are in danger if they are helping Amazon's profits and stock prices.
Old 11-17-03, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by LASERMOVIES
I don't think their jobs are in danger if they are helping Amazon's profits and stock prices.
True they are helping in the short run, but if their shenanigans irritate and alienate too many customers in the long run, they won't have any profit or stock prices to worry about.
Old 11-17-03, 01:20 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just checked my account and all my GCs re-appeared in my orders, although they had all been shipped.
Old 11-17-03, 11:45 PM

sorry if i missed this, but where is the number to contact amazon? Can someone post it? I was on the site and the only thing I could find was how to contact them by e-mail.
Old 11-17-03, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Dorsalphin
sorry if i missed this, but where is the number to contact amazon? Can someone post it? I was on the site and the only thing I could find was how to contact them by e-mail.
The Customer Service Phone Number thread at the top of this forum will reveal all.
Old 11-18-03, 12:07 AM

ahhhh, thank you. I was sure it was somewhere blatantly obvious.