Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Master of the Flying Guillotine R3 v. R1?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-03, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like the subject says, how is the R3 disc that is available from hkflix vs. the Pathfinder R1. Sorry if someone finds this comparison in a search, but I didn't specifically find it. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-06-03, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pathfinder all the way... It's incredible!
Old 11-06-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

is it worth a blind-buy? no pun intended
Old 11-07-03, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

only if you like old school kung-fu then it's the bomb. if you aren't into old school then pass it.
Old 11-10-03, 10:09 PM

axolotls , Have you seen the R3? I've got both but have only watched the beginning. There is one scene in the beginning where there is some slightly damage to the elements. It appears on both versions. Running times are the same. The R1 does have an audio commentary.
Old 06-13-12, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Master of the Flying Guillotine R3 v. R1?

I was wondering which of the two Pathfinder releases would be the best to purchase in terms of picture quality? They released a non-16.9 'ultimate edition' first, and then later on a 16.9 enhanced 'anniversary edition'. The reviews I've read have conflicting reports on which has the better picture quality.

I saw the film last year at a theater, and while it was advertised as a restored and brand new 35mm print. It looked awful and like the print was going to fall a part at any given moment. Some scenes literally were bathed in a faded sickly green or blue tint, and image depth and color was barely obvious besides a couple brief moments later in the film that was quite clean and sharp looking, then the print went back to crap again. The end of the print had a 2002 Pathfinder copyright on it. And I was curious if that's how the first dvd release looks, or does the later 16.9 enhanced version look even worse than the print I saw?

It would be nice if the film could be truly restored, but I guess the negative is in really awful shape based on the print I saw?
Old 06-17-12, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Master of the Flying Guillotine R3 v. R1?

If memory serves correctly, some of the footage added back in was in rough shape to begin with, hence why some scenes looked like garbage.