Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

I'm confused about Napster 2.0

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-03, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sells .99 cent per tracks, yet they have a premium service which is $9.99 for a month of which entitles you to UNLIMITED downloads. At the cost of 1 album, why would anyone not go with the latter option?

Am I reading it right, because it follows neither rhyme nor reason.
Old 11-05-03, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
No, unlimited STREAMS. To actually download the song to your computer will still cost you $0.99. The extra $9.95 lets you STREAM the song to your computer, but it doesn't actuall save.

Of course, if it's playing on your computer, it's been downloaded to your compuer... so I'm sure somoene will figure out a way around it. And you can always fire up your favorite audio recorder and record away.
Old 11-06-03, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Or just use Kazaa Lite. With the normal precautions that is.
Old 11-06-03, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd much rather pay $0.99 to get the correct version of a song the first time, with a full quality preview, and download the song in 30 seconds. Free is nice, but spending 10 minutes searching for the right version, and having ten downloads going hoping to get the right one and a decent download speed isn't worth it...
Old 11-06-03, 10:14 AM

The website states the songs would be able to play online as well as offline. It's probably a clever way of saying Napster caches the file without revealing too much. The quality is 128kb WMA and I even tried signing up but the service went ketp going down in the span of one hour that I was using it.
Old 11-06-03, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by Ronin008
The website states the songs would be able to play online as well as offline. It's probably a clever way of saying Napster caches the file without revealing too much. The quality is 128kb WMA and I even tried signing up but the service went ketp going down in the span of one hour that I was using it.
From what I understand, it indeed plays online and offline. However, you would NOT be able to burn tracks to CDs without paying the $.99 per track.
Old 11-07-03, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not easily, anyway.
Old 04-19-04, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So songs I buy from Napster -- they are put onto my computer as MP3s (I think) -- can I just burn them to a CD using Roxio or a similar burning tool? Or can it only be done through Napster?
Old 04-19-04, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Napster songs are WMA and use digital rights management. You can burn them to a CD, but you'll have to use Windows Media Player
Old 04-19-04, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't follow - I have to use WM Player to play or burn?
Old 04-19-04, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by shaun3000
No, unlimited STREAMS. To actually download the song to your computer will still cost you $0.99. The extra $9.95 lets you STREAM the song to your computer, but it doesn't actuall save.

Of course, if it's playing on your computer, it's been downloaded to your compuer... so I'm sure somoene will figure out a way around it. And you can always fire up your favorite audio recorder and record away.
Actually there are already programs out there that will record the streaming audio and automatically convert it to an mp3 for you. The quality is similar to the stream (about 128 kbs).
Old 04-19-04, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Aren't there programs that convert WMA to MP3? I thought I could do it with Roxio...
Old 04-19-04, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Toad
Aren't there programs that convert WMA to MP3? I thought I could do it with Roxio...
Not with the DRM that's attachted. You'd have to burn to CD and then rerip the tracks. You're undergoing a reencode so quality will suffer slightly, but then you're working from a compressed WMA track initially anyway, so quality isn't exactly high to begin with.
Old 04-20-04, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So will these tracks I'm downloading one day magically "expire"? I thought I read a question about that somewhere.

Isn't there a limited # of times you can burn them as well? How can the computer keep track of how many times I burn a file?