Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

DirecTV questions...sorry but new to DirecTV

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-03, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DirecTV questions...sorry but new to DirecTV

Okay here's the deal, I hate Adelphia with a passion. My current service is Cable Internet, Digital Basic, w/ HBO package for $65 a month which is awesome. Now they are cancelling my package and making me pick a value pack and my current services will be $100.95 a month. That's over $35 month increase!!! Not to mention Adelphia's service has been horrible from day one and they are claiming I didn't return a modem I returned to them and have a receipt for from 6 months ago...anyhoo...

I want to switch to DirectTV but I don't know much about it. I read on their site that it's $39.99 for basic plus local channels and they have a deal for a 3 bedroom setup free etc. etc. Can someone give me a quick breakdown of PROS and CONS and what I need to do/look for in getting DirecTV?? I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

BTW. I live in a house and have a clear shot in all directions above me to the skies.
Old 11-04-03, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No better time than now to get a DirecTiVo: $99 for a three room install (one TiVo and two standard receivers). I believe both Circuit City and Best Buy have this same offer.

$40 should be the Total Choice package with locals.
Old 11-04-03, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How much extra is it to have Tivo? Isn't there a monthly fee involved? Do they work just like a VCR but tapeless and digital? Sorry for all the questions. Still stuck in the world of Cable TV and VCRs.
Old 11-04-03, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Since you live in a major metro area, the *only* reason to stick with cable would be if you're getting an amazing two-fer deal with your internet. If that's no longer the case, run (down't walk) to pick up a DirecTivo deal.... The "monthly fee" for the Tivo is waived/included in most packages now... And it's much better than just a VCR-without-the-tape... Your life will be so much better!!
Old 11-04-03, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

adamblast-
this is excatly why I'm getting rid of Adelphia...they pulled my amazing two-for-deal right under my feet. Your advice is what I was looking to hear.

So it sounds to me like there really isn't a bad reason to switch to DirecTV? I'll wait for any other advice you guys have for me and by tomorrow I'll take a trip to Circuit City and see about signing up for the packaged DirecTivo deal. Please keep the advice/education coming, I love this forum and appreciate the help.
Old 11-04-03, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
I put my order in yesterday (have to wait till the 19th for install which sucks). THe only thing I'm not going to like is that I currently get both Baltimore and DC local station with my cable. Directv is only going to let me get Baltimore stations. Not really a big deal but I'm a Redskins fan and won't be able to see some of there games now. I think what I'm going to do is keep limited cable for $12 a month and keep my cable internet ( I'll still get the $15 discount since I'm still have TV service)

Oh and I went with the Directivo. The wife wouldn't let me get 2 since I already have the stad alone. I wonder how much of a pain it's going to be to add a second one in the future.
Old 11-04-03, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
As others have said, go get DirecTv, and the DTivo, immediately. There is a $4.95 monthly fee for it, unless you subscribe to complete DirecTv package (like $84/month).

you will not regret it.
Old 11-04-03, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Timber
Oh and I went with the Directivo. The wife wouldn't let me get 2 since I already have the stad alone. I wonder how much of a pain it's going to be to add a second one in the future.
Make sure the installer runs a second coax line to the place where you might eventually want a 2nd Tivo. It's much easier to run the cable now than later.

Also, the re-sale market on standalone Tivos is pretty good (especially if you have a lifetime subscription). Check ebay for the going rate. You'll likely find you'll be able to sell your existing standalone and use that $$ to buy 2-3 DTivos.

There's no such thing as too many DTivos. you'll discover that about 10 minutes after you use the first one.
Old 11-04-03, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DirecTV has a deal on their website: http://www.directv.com/Email2003/Q42...r/default.html

3 rooms w/ receivers and satellite free plus 3 months HBO free. Is this the same deal CC and BB are running? If not what's the best route to get setup with the DirecTV system?
Old 11-04-03, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I dumped digital cable in March for Direc-TV. It wa sthe best decision I've made in a long time.

I now have 3 Direc-Tivos's (including one in my exercise room) and it is great. I can catch up on my shows and I am motivated to work out more.
Old 11-04-03, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by danicus007
Do they work just like a VCR but tapeless and digital? Sorry for all the questions. Still stuck in the world of Cable TV and VCRs.
As a recent convert, I can tell you it’s like night and day.

You can set it up to record a specific channel/time (just like a vcr, only you’ve got more choices than Channel 3), or you can set it to record specific shows. Set it to record only the new ones; set it to record them all.

If you really want to have something on tape, you can have it play back and it’ll give you a nice little “info” page at the beginning.

If you leave for a vacation, you don’t have to plan ahead and figure out how much you can fit on one tape.

I make sure I have a backlog of shows. There’s no longer a reason for me to watch “live” TV. And there’s always something on.

The fast forward feature is great, and beats the pants off vcr. (I have a backlog of West Wing on tape that I’m addicting my wife to. The commercial breaks are agonizingly long.)

The only thing I really don’t like is the TV Guide feature is very slow and cumbersome compared to the non-Tivo receiver. I’m thinking it’s the only thing keeping me from upgrading my other receiver.

My setup costs ~$55 with locals and Showtime but no internet. Still cheaper than I was paying for cable.

Funny you mention Adelphia. A guy I work with is still hassling with them over a modem he purchased outright from them over a year ago.
Old 11-04-03, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DirecTV has a deal on their website: http://www.directv.com/Email2003/Q42...r/default.html

3 rooms w/ receivers and satellite free plus 3 months HBO free. Is this the same deal CC and BB are running? If not what's the best route to get setup with the DirecTV system?
I went with Value Electronics. I did lots of research and they have a super reputation (check out TiVo Community). They also have a package with one DirecTiVo and two regular receivers, the dish and free installation for $39.97 plus shipping. I got a two room system and the shipping was $30 so a three room system should be close to that. You'll have to wait a week or so for everything to be shipped to you, but you'll save some money if that's important.

I've only had the system for about a month, but I can't honestly think of a con at this point. You'll love the DirecTiVo. Much, much better than a VCR.
Old 11-04-03, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I feel like a fool now. I spent $171 on 1 DTivo and 3 recievers. I figured they'd be the same price everywhere so i just ordered for DTV
Old 11-04-03, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another question. Do I have to have all of the recievers and the DTivo hooked up to my phone line? I've gotten used to my wireless network adapter for my standealone. I thought the only reason for it to be hooked up to the phone would be for PPV (which I never order)
Old 11-04-03, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tivo needs the phone line to download program lists (at least that’s my understanding). [conspiracy theorist] Also, to report on what you’ve been watching for their super-secret Nielson-esque reporting service, which they provide to network subscribers for a nominal fee. [/paranoid]

The non-Tivo receivers don’t, except for PPV, which you can order on their web site.
Old 11-04-03, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Wizdar
Tivo needs the phone line to download program lists (at least that’s my understanding). [conspiracy theorist] Also, to report on what you’ve been watching for their super-secret Nielson-esque reporting service, which they provide to network subscribers for a nominal fee. [/paranoid]

The non-Tivo receivers don’t, except for PPV, which you can order on their web site.
If we're talking about DirecTiVo here, it gets the guide data from the satellite.

And I believe they do get statistics from the boxes (just generic demographics, nothing specifically tied to you), but wouldn't swear to it. Personally, I don't really care. If they want to snoop in on what I watch so they can provide more things that would be of interest to me, that's fine with me.
Old 11-04-03, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by MEJHarrison
If we're talking about DirecTiVo here, it gets the guide data from the satellite.
Really? OK, what's the phone line good for then? Just PPV?

Yeah, I don’t care about the snooping deal either. But I think it would be foolish to believe that any stats they get would provide better programming. I mean, Nielson have done such a wonderful job so far, yes?
Old 11-05-03, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I believe even the software updates come over the satellite signal. The phone line really doesn't do much.
Old 11-05-03, 08:25 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The phone line is also used for the Caller-ID feature, which is actually pretty cool.
Old 11-05-03, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by MEJHarrison
I went with Value Electronics. I did lots of research and they have a super reputation (check out TiVo Community). They also have a package with one DirecTiVo and two regular receivers, the dish and free installation for $39.97 plus shipping. I got a two room system and the shipping was $30 so a three room system should be close to that. You'll have to wait a week or so for everything to be shipped to you, but you'll save some money if that's important.

I've only had the system for about a month, but I can't honestly think of a con at this point. You'll love the DirecTiVo. Much, much better than a VCR.
Did you go with the Hughes HDVR2 or the Philips DSR7000 system? Is one better than the other? Also, did you have to install the dish yourself or how is that done since they mail everything to you? Thanks.
Old 11-05-03, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by djbrown
Make sure the installer runs a second coax line to the place where you might eventually want a 2nd Tivo. It's much easier to run the cable now than later.

There's no such thing as too many DTivos. you'll discover that about 10 minutes after you use the first one.
Well that brings up another question. Can I just ask the installer to run the dual coax everywhere just incase I decie to upgrade more then one? Also will he "give" me a 5x8 multiswitch if I request it? Or will I have to call DTV before my installer comes out and ask them?
Old 11-05-03, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Timber
Well that brings up another question. Can I just ask the installer to run the dual coax everywhere just incase I decie to upgrade more then one? Also will he "give" me a 5x8 multiswitch if I request it? Or will I have to call DTV before my installer comes out and ask them?
The dual coax isn't that big of a request. Asking the installer to "give" you a 5x8 switch is however. I'd call DirecTv, get the name and number of the installer that is scheduled, and then call them directly telling what you want before the install.
Old 11-05-03, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

But as it stands right now I have to have at least a 4x5? 3 recievers and 1 DTivo. Also since I'm keeping a limited cable service then I would need the 5 inputs. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and buy a second DTivo in the next 2 weeks before my install but then I'd have an aditional reciever that I paid $50 for that I won't need. In that case I would need 6 outputs. Well hell now that I think about it I'd only be paying $50 more if I didn't get the 4th reciever and got a DTivo instead.
Old 11-05-03, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I want to thank everyone who helped me out with my decision to get DirecTV and DirecTivo. I've signed up and the installer is going to be here tomorrow morning to set it all up! I went with the $99 package for 1 DirecTivo and 1 add. receiver and installation. I hope I like this system even ½ as much as the rest of you. Thanks again!!!
Old 11-05-03, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did you go with the Hughes HDVR2 or the Philips DSR7000 system? Is one better than the other? Also, did you have to install the dish yourself or how is that done since they mail everything to you? Thanks.
I see it's too late now since you've already ordered, but for future reference, there's no real difference between the HDVR2 and DSR7000 (they're both 35 hour boxes, right?) They're made at the same plant and just the look is customized. Inside they're the same. The only real difference is the RCA model, which is still the same machine on the inside, comes with a better warrenty.

As for the install, the dealer I bought from just contacted a local installer to do the job.

As for the phone lines, the guide data comes from the satellites, software upgrades are still coming over the phone. The phone lines also handle PPV (although I've heard you can order over the web, but I've never done it). It can also do caller ID, but on a DirecTiVo (not sure about the stand along models), you have the hack the box to get that ability.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.