Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

How do you guys handle buying a game when you own multiple consoles?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-03, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my dilemma...I have a PS2 and an XBOX. I want to buy a bunch of games...a sampling below:

1. FIFA 2004
2. ThuG
3. True Crime
4. Tiger Woods 2004 (This was actually reviewed at IGN)

These games are all available on multiple platforms and I can't decide which version to get. I got a subscription to IGN but they do that head to head thing so infrequently that it's useless. I though about renting the game for each platform but that would cost so much that it's not feasible. So my question is...how do you guys with multple consoles decide which system to buy the game on? Is there a review site I'm missing? Thanks
Old 11-02-03, 09:11 PM

I'm in the same boat-- hey stay on your side!

Here's what I'd do/did

FiFA 2004, THUG, Tiger Woods: Go for the PS2 version because they support online only on the PS2.

TC: Not sure about this one yet...IGN will probably do a head to head if you can wait, if not I'd go for the Xbox version. The visuals are ussally better. The sound is usually 5.1. And you can save to the HD so no wasted memory cards.
Old 11-02-03, 09:14 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just decide from game to game.

For games that use the shoulder buttons a lot (a good example is LOTR:TTT and the upcoming ROTK) I'll go with the PS2. The shoulder buttons on the Dual shock are much better IMO than the other two systems as they analog triggers on the others tire your fingers out in games where you're constantly using them, not to mention the PS2's are much more responsive as you can just tap them.

Sports games usually go to the X-box for the HD as seasons and franchises eat up memory cards fast.

Next I go by graphics, but this is usually negligible.

If all else is equal I go with the GC version for the Wavebird.
Old 11-02-03, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have all three systems, but i buy games for the gamecube as long as I have the choice. I hate load times, and I have a hard time living without the wavebird.
Old 11-02-03, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have all three systems, but i buy games for the gamecube as long as I have the choice. I hate load times, and I have a hard time living without the wavebird.
Same here. I try to buy all my games for the Gamecube unless there is a glaring deficiency in the GC version. The only exception is most sports games which I get for Xbox.
Old 11-02-03, 10:00 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
I tend towards the Xbox, for the hard drive and usually better graphics/sound.
Old 11-02-03, 10:03 PM

My first choice is the Xbox. If the designers make the game to take advantage of the hardware, Xbox will always come out on top. Unfortunately, seems like they don't always do this. EA goes online for PS2 only, so as much as I hate what they're doing, I go with PS2 for these games if I care to play these on-line. For games that are not 'to die for', I usually wait for reviews before I grab the games. Usually, you'll get some feedback on some pros and cons for these games. The Gamecube Library is the slimmest for me. It was the last console I got, and if a good game is multi-console, again i check with Xbox first. So I mostly get exclusive titles for the GC. Its been an expensive route getting all three consoles, but when you do have these, best thing is you have the choice! Now I'm not that eager for the next wave of consoles. As I'm hoping to get the most of these three for now!
Old 11-02-03, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I look at reviews to see if there are any game differences otherwise i usually go with the game I get the better deal on.
Old 11-02-03, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My first choice is the Gamecube. Second is the PS2 then the Xbox. The only difference is the number of discs invovled. Strange, my game count is about even.
Old 11-02-03, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Usually my first choice is Gamecube. Then XBox.

PS2 isn't a choice since I don't have one.
Old 11-02-03, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well Said

Originally posted by Kellehair
Same here. I try to buy all my games for the Gamecube unless there is a glaring deficiency in the GC version. The only exception is most sports games which I get for Xbox.
If its on all the systems I tend to get it on the GC because I like the system the best. The graphics are good if not great most of the time, have a wavebird and low load times. Plus, sometimes if you do ot get the games on release day, they are cheaper on GC. EA especially. They send me 15 coupons, I stock up on GC games. Bought one I had been wanting today - Def Jam Vendetta.
Old 11-02-03, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
I go with the PC if the game is a first-person shooter.

Xbox is next for consoles. Mostly because of the harddrive and often because of the graphics. I have my Xbox connected via component video and my GameCube is only connected via s-video. I don't have a PS2, but if I did, I'd probably prefer the GameCube because of the Wavebird.

Last edited by funkyryno; 11-03-03 at 12:52 AM.
Old 11-02-03, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

xbox versions typically b/c of better graphics, sound, hard drive, xbox live online.

otherwise, ps2 or gc if they're exclusive to their systems like final fantasy or ikaruga.
Old 11-02-03, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
PC first
Xbox second
PS2 third
Old 11-03-03, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My first choice is always the XBOX:
Hard drive, great sound, tweaked graphics

Next is GC:
Still good graphics and I can use my Wavebirds

I haven't bought a PS2 game in soooooo long. It's still a great machine but with two consoles a small step up in many departments I don't really feel the need to buy anything new for it if I'm given a choice. A few times I've thought about online PS2 games that aren't online with any other system but I'd rather be online with XBOX LIVE since I am paying for it. I want to get the most for my money.
Old 11-03-03, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
For the XBOX I get mostly Live Games. The rest I get either for the GC (preferred) or the PS2 (for something like THUG w here you can put your own face on the game but only on the PS2).
Old 11-03-03, 12:31 AM

I only own PS2 and GCN. I rarely ever buy multi platform games for GCN. The only ones I can think of are NBA Street 2 because of 4 control ports and Robotech because it was really cheap for GCN. Most GCN sport games take up a whole 251 memory card and almost all new PS2 sport games have online play. Also, I LOVE the dual shock 2.
Old 11-03-03, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
I always go the Xbox route. I only buy Gamecube games when they're exclusive (Zelda, Mario, Metroid, AC, etc)

Old 11-03-03, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PC first.
Old 11-03-03, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sports games usually go to PS2 because it supports on-line play. Everything else I get for the Cube.
Old 11-03-03, 10:14 PM

Surprised how many 3-system owners there are who don't put the X-Box version at the top. Unless there's online capabilities missing or problems with the control scheme for the joystick, I'll always go with the X-Box version. The graphics are most always better and the 5.1 sound is never in the GC and rarely in the PS2 version.
Old 11-04-03, 07:39 AM

I've got an Xbox, GC and a PS2 so I read the reviews and if one system has something special (Soul Calibur- Link, THUG - Face Mapping) I go with that system. If nothing special I go with my old stand-by, Nintendo.
Old 11-04-03, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I consider the following:

Is there one 'native' version of the game? See Need For Speed High Stakes 2 for PS2.... That one is better than the Xbox/GCN simply b/c that is the 'original' game developed by one company, while the Xbox/PC/GCN ports were made by another group. Obviously, I go with the PS2 one.

If all the versions are developed/ported by the same group, I compare features.

Generally speaking, Xbox has *slightly* better graphics (or high-res support if you have HDTV), sound (5.1 surround) and if it is not EA, it might have Live! support.

For EA games, PS2 will have the online support.

You just have to pick what features you will use/enjoy most and buy that one.

Or.... you can buy the first rev that hits $10 first! That would usually be GCN version. LOL.
Old 11-04-03, 08:35 AM
Banned

I wish the magazines would handle this issue better. I've seen two extremes:

1. Game Informer, who provides complete separate reviews for each system

2. EGM, who now has a section of 'multi-console' reviews and doesn't mention system differences.

I think EGM is on the right track; I don't think it's encessary to review each system separately unless there are drastic differences (like NFS: Hot Pursuit), but I think they should add a "recommended system" box to the review mentioning which game version they would choose, and why.

FS
Old 11-04-03, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Xbox first, always. Hard drive and surround sound seal the deal.

I'll buy exclusives for the other systems, but multi-console is always Xbox.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.