Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Das Boot : Superbit <-- good blind buy?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-03, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've recently started to appreciate and enjoy submarine movies. I'm a huge Hunt For Red October fan. I really enjoyed this movie, and the Collector's Edition with DTS sound is really great. I thought about picking up U-571 as a blind buy the other day when I saw it at Circuit City for $14.99, but I remember reading that Das Boot was the definitive submarine movie that all the others tried to imitate. How good of a blind buy is this movie? I understand there's a Superbit out there. How is the transfer and DTS sound? Does this movie blow away Hunt For Red October?
Old 11-01-03, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. The best version (there are several cuts out there, this one is the best) of the Greatest Naval Film Ever
2. A much-improved, almost terrific video transfer
3. An amazing DTS track

...yeah, I'd say it's a blind buy.
Old 11-01-03, 08:29 PM

Good blind buy (go for the Superbit), but be warned -- "Das Boot" is a different kind of film than is "Hunt for Red October." "Boot" requires a lot more patience and is far less of a potboiler (albeit a superior potboiler) than is "Hunt."
Old 11-01-03, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the feedback guys. Might definately be my next blind DVD buy. Already bought the Dracula Superbit today (damn the SB dvds are expensive), so maybe in a few days I'll pickup Das Boot Superbit.

About the movie, yeah apparently it's a 3.5 hours which is extremely long. Apparently the director wanted it to be repetitive and long to illustrate the long and claustrophobic times aboard the U boats. Nonetheless I may pick it up anyways. I'm not a fan of very long movies, but this one sounds epic and not dull and monotonous. Also the DTS is a big selling point for me. Apparently this one has superb sound and the DTS depth charges are awesome! Transfer is said to be good, considering the source material, so it isn't reference quality, but still very good.
Old 11-01-03, 11:04 PM

Das Boot to me did an absolutely incredible job of evoking the claustrophobia of being in a submarine. I'm not sure whether the length of it really was a factor, but it definitely gives you the time to (heh) submerge yourself in the situation.

That and the sheer nailbiting terror of some of the scenes. I was far more on edge than I remember being when watching Hunt For Red October.
Old 11-03-03, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked up the Das Boot SB as a blind buy as well, and I don't regret it one bit. I say go for it.
Old 11-05-03, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just picked up Das Boot : SB today at Best Buy! I'm very excited to watch it this Friday night. I opened the case and found two discs, one of which was red, and the other one was silver. Is the 2nd disc Superbit as well, or did they just put the one from the original release in there as the 2nd disc?
Old 11-05-03, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The film is split across two discs, it's a long one... The original release was a flipper. Congrats! Great film, great Superbit, GREAT DTS track. The first few minutes are a little murky, but it clears right up...
Old 11-14-03, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

WOW! This film blew me away! Thanks for the suggestion on this Superbit blind buy for me guys. The film was 3.5 hours and it felt like 1.5 hours. The film is paced fantastically and the acting and music are exceptional. Was definately an edge of your seat type movie where you wonder what will happen next. The tension that Wolfgang Peterson creates is amazing. I don't think I've ever watched a movie with as much tension and claustrophobia as this one.

And the picture and sound also were excellent. Considering the movie is over 20 years old, the transfer is top notch. The color levels, contrast and detail were a sight to behold. As for the German 5.1 DTS sound, it's probably one of the best DTS tracks I've heard. The track utilized the sound spectrum perfectly and the rear speakers really helped you feel immersed in the creaky and leaky U-boat, especially as it made it's depth charge. Amazing use of LFE, especially as the U-boat crashed upon the waves when it was at the surface.

This is by far the best blind buy I've done. And to think it only cost me $4 at Best Buy. I had quite a few of those $5 Rewards coupons.

BTW, I also blindly bought U-571 Collector's Edition. I know it will not come close to Das Boot, but I'll check it out anyways this weekend and see what it's all about.
Old 11-14-03, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When I saw this in a theater in the 80s it was the English dubbed version, and I remember at the time thinking, "I know it's more authentic to have the original audio with subtitles, but, boy the dubbing is terrific!". I read some reviews later that commented on the quality of the English dubbing, that extra effort was taken to do a good job and have everything synced up as much as possible.

Does anyone know if this edition has the same English audio? Since this is a longer version than the theatrical showing I wonder if there had to be any new work done to fill in the gaps or if the dubbing is a new job entirely.
Old 11-14-03, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Of course you should. It's Das Boot, the director's cut.

- David Stein
Old 11-14-03, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
also for the superbit version, it goes
5.1 dd german
5.1 dts german
2.0 american dub
Old 11-19-03, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just saw U-571 and what a great action flick! Not quite in the same league as Das Boot, but still a worthy submarine movie. There were many parts that seemed copied off other movies, inluding Das Boot. But, I really enjoyed the plot and the acting was good. What I liked about this movie is that there is action behind every corner. And boy, that DTS soundtrack blew me away! The explosions were so thunderous I had to turn my sub down so as to not wake up the neighbors. The transfer was also stunning, especially the scenes which show the U boat skimming the water as the sun rises. I'm definately hooked on these submarine movies. U-571 may not be as powerful and epic as Das Boot, but I'd say it's as good as The Hunt For Red October.
Old 11-22-03, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Alot of people can't stand U-571 but I rather enjoyed it. I thought it too was a great submarine movie. It's an action flick with WWII subs. The DTS track is one of the best out there.
Old 11-22-03, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Crimson Tide is my favorite sub movie (though I never saw Das Boot). Denzel Washington and Gene Hackman give a good performance. I like this movie much better than Red October.

The DVD itself is OAR and looks decent, but is non-anamorphic. Still, worth picking up.