Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Joan of Arcadia - 10/31

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-03, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joan of Arcadia - 10/31

Since I have no life, I was home by 8, and ready to watch Joan of Arcadia.

Bringeth It On
When God asks Joan to try out for the cheerleading squad, she has trouble explaining her sudden interest in the sport; a baby is found abandoned in a high-school gym bag.
I thought it was a superb episode, with lots of funny moments to try to even out the darkness of the "Dumpster Baby" plot line. Joan's cheer tryouts were a highlight, along with the family meal scenes.

I missed a few episodes, but it's nice that God comes in a lot more forms now. The pop culture references were good, and I think the episode wrapped itself up nicely by the end of the hour.

Too bad most people probably didn't catch it, since they have lives and all.
Old 10-31-03, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dont feel bad. I was home and watched it too. Good episode.
Old 10-31-03, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Was my first time seeing the show tonight and i really enjoyed it and i wish i had been watching it from the start.Ive been looking for a show to get into now that Buffy has left the air and ive had bad luck with dramas in the past that ive liked going off the air(ie Freaks and Geeks and My So Called Life) so i was happy to see that JOA is doing well in the ratings and they have one new viewer in me
Old 11-01-03, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Re: Joan of Arcadia - 10/31

Originally posted by freedexter
Too bad most people probably didn't catch it, since they have lives and all.
"One of US...One of US..."

This is TV Talk man...there's nothing wrong with catching a show when it airs...

[Unless you venture OUTSIDE of TV Talk...then, you're on your own ]

I caught this "live" too and [believe it or not] was also able to interact with other humans on this festive "All Hollow's Eve"...

ANYways...it was a pretty good ep. I think Amber let the lead cheerleader off too easy at the end.

I do have a question though...what happened to Malucci "Dr. Dave" [from ER]? Is he still on the force?
Old 11-01-03, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Joan of Arcadia - 10/31

Originally posted by Rogue588

I do have a question though...what happened to Malucci "Dr. Dave" [from ER]? Is he still on the force?
Spoiler:
I think that guy got kicked off last week.
Old 11-01-03, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)

that the dude..?
Old 11-01-03, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

yep, thats him. He
Spoiler:
got fired
Old 11-01-03, 01:18 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Malucci got forced out by Fat Tony after he altered a police report last week. (An ER and A Simpsons reference)

I liked this episode too.

Joan's cheers were great, especially the last one.

It was pretty easy to figure out who dumped the baby the second time you heard the tape.

That would have been an interesting twist if they made the younger brother homosexual. I guess they wouldn't do that with a family show though.
Old 11-01-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This show is getting a little predictable for me now that I have its cadence down. I hope they'll surprise us more because it's getting a little repetitive in that whatever God tells Joan to get involved with, you know it'll affect the other subplot all too neatly.
Old 11-01-03, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
This show is getting a little predictable for me now that I have its cadence down. I hope they'll surprise us more because it's getting a little repetitive in that whatever God tells Joan to get involved with, you know it'll affect the other subplot all too neatly.
I gave to agree with you on this .... after the first 10 minutes, the show basically writes itself, and you know where it's going and basically how it's going to get there. Still enjoyable, but thanks more to the performances and basic concept rather than the plot lines.
Old 11-01-03, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I like this episode. The cheerleader tryout is very funny.

To comment on someone else who said the show is predictable, sure we know whatever Joan does will eventually touch other people's lives. But what makes the show interesting is HOW it will happen.

Last edited by mookiemeister; 11-01-03 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-01-03, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm with the geek brother, I think her friend is kind of hot.

Honk!
Old 11-01-03, 05:46 PM

I too recently been hooked on the show. But I blame a friend of mine that made me watch.

But I also like the last cheer that she did. But it was also nice to have an eps where the older bother wasn't conflicted about his handicap and instead was able to help his younger brother.
Old 11-01-03, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by TheEdge21
But I also like the last cheer that she did. But it was also nice to have an eps where the older bother wasn't conflicted about his handicap and instead was able to help his younger brother.
I'm surprised he is still on the show: the actor, in real life, is John Ritter's son. I would have imagined he would take some time off to grieve instead of continuing to film everyday.
Old 11-01-03, 06:20 PM

Originally posted by freedexter
I'm surprised he is still on the show: the actor, in real life, is John Ritter's son. I would have imagined he would take some time off to grieve instead of continuing to film everyday.
That is true. Maybe we'll see less of him in future eps. Then again, he wasn't really in a whole in this one
Old 11-02-03, 01:08 AM

Originally posted by MrX
Malucci got forced out by Fat Tony after he altered a police report last week. (An ER and A Simpsons reference)

I liked this episode too.

Joan's cheers were great, especially the last one.

It was pretty easy to figure out who dumped the baby the second time you heard the tape.

That would have been an interesting twist if they made the younger brother homosexual. I guess they wouldn't do that with a family show though.

I thought this episode was written amazingly well. I was on the fence about this show after last week's episode, but they pulled me back in.

As for the brother, I don't think he is gay, but I bet it's going to come up again. Remember when god was the substitute teacher? I think she referred to Grace as "young man" or something along those lines. I think that Grace may be a guy. I mean, shouldn't God know the sex of the person he is referring to, regardless of a person's androgonus (sp?) appearance? Perhaps I heard it wrong. If someone can check, that would be cool.
Old 11-02-03, 02:32 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally posted by rayw69
Remember when god was the substitute teacher? I think she referred to Grace as "young man" or something along those lines. I think that Grace may be a guy. I mean, shouldn't God know the sex of the person he is referring to, regardless of a person's androgonus (sp?) appearance? Perhaps I heard it wrong. If someone can check, that would be cool.
Yeah I remeber that part. God did say young man
Old 11-02-03, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

God seems to have a bit of a sense of humor, knowing how to push peoples buttons (He calls out embarrassing bits of information about Joan to get her to talk to him quicker). I love this show, and I am glad that it is becoming a hit. Finally Friday has a couple of decent shows for me to watch (Miss Match, Handler, Hope & Faith, and, dare I dream, Boomtown?).