Tru Calling - 10/30

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Tru Calling - 10/30

Old 10-30-03, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tru Calling - 10/30

Pilot
Cadavers appeal to morgue worker Tru Davies (Eliza Dushku) for help; after a murder victim speaks to her, Tru wakes up 12 hours before the woman is killed.
I went ahead and gave the show a try, since it seemed interesting.

Sadly, it's kind of annoying. There's a lot of running, and just because they mention that Tru was a track star doesn't give the writers and excuse to fill up a quarter of their script with her running around a city. Eliza Dushku is ok, but this isn't her best role.

It's ok, though. Not bad, but not worth missing Must-See-Thursday. I might have liked it better if it was in a different time slot.
Old 10-30-03, 11:08 PM

I honestly thought this was one of the worst shows I have ever seen in my life. And I wanted to like it so badly for Eliza.
Old 10-31-03, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Yes that running was a little annoying. I don't really know what to think of this show. I guess it has potential, but I can't say I'm really excited to watch the next episode or anything. I'll give it a few more episodes and see what happens.
Old 10-31-03, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,877 Posts
Where can I pitch my concept for a "Faith" series?
Old 10-31-03, 01:36 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 254 Likes on 192 Posts
Maybe it was because I went in with really low expectations but I didn't think it was that bad for a first episode.

I have a feeling it will get old pretty fast.
Old 10-31-03, 06:49 AM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by rayw69
I honestly thought this was one of the worst shows I have ever seen in my life. And I wanted to like it so badly for Eliza.
I totally agree, I was praying this wouldn't stink for her...she should have gone with the Faith the Vampire Slayer. Lets hope the show gets better.
Old 10-31-03, 07:15 AM

It was decent I think it has potential. Any reason to watch Eliza Dushku is fine with me, plus she has one of the sexiest voices since Kathleen Turner.
Old 10-31-03, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Umm, there really wasn't that much running. WTF are you talking about a quarter of the show? I'd be surprised if there was actually over 1 minute of footage of her running.

I really enjoyed it. You guys seem to be way too critical of shows sometimes. rayw69 - one of the worst shows you've ever seen? You must not watch much tv.
Old 10-31-03, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Somebody get this girl a bus pass. I can't complain - the bounciness was very nice.

It is certainly a hokey concept, but I liked it. Far more entertaining than Friends anyhow.
Old 10-31-03, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
DUMB!!!!

But Eliza is hot
Old 10-31-03, 09:54 AM

Please tell me you are joking. I saw the unaired pilot a few months ago and thought it was decent. I did not like the intercutting with Eliza running with video game footage, but it wasn't horrible. It didn't look like something I would watch from week to week, unless the reviews were really good.
I think the Jake 2.0 pilot is marginally better, but I am not really interested in that show either.
I did not see last nights airing, however.
Old 10-31-03, 10:23 AM

I thought it was okay. I will keep watching because of Eliza, but I wasn't that impressed. The previews looked really good, but the episode was rather ho-hum, but it was the first episode. I will watch it as long as it is on because of Eliza.
Old 10-31-03, 10:26 AM

Sounds like recording Friends over this was a good thing, even though Friends sucked.
Old 10-31-03, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jeraden
Umm, there really wasn't that much running. WTF are you talking about a quarter of the show? I'd be surprised if there was actually over 1 minute of footage of her running.
I was exaggerating, but there was a lot of running. More than a minute...they just kind of OD'd on that. What's the point? To show that Eliza doesn't need a car or public transportation? It just seems kind of over-dramatic and a bad tension builder.
Old 10-31-03, 11:16 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 254 Likes on 192 Posts
Here's the ratings from zap2it.com

Super-sized episodes of "Friends" and "Will & Grace" averaged 12.4/20 for NBC at 8 p.m. "Survivor: Pearl Islands," 12.0/19, was second for CBS, although it actually drew more total viewers. ABC's "Threat Matrix" came in third. The premiere of "Tru Calling" on FOX averaged 3.3/5, tying the first hour of "WWE Smackdown!" on UPN. The WB trailed with "Steve Harvey's Big Time" and "The Jamie Kennedy Experiment."
Doesn't look good
Old 10-31-03, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what did they expect? this was DOA on arrival in this timeslot.
Old 10-31-03, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by ChrisHicks
what did they expect? this was DOA on arrival in this timeslot.

Plus it started 6 weeks after the premieres of Friends and Survivor.
Old 10-31-03, 11:30 AM

I thought it was just OK. I'll probably tune in again next week to see if it gets any better.

Brett
Old 10-31-03, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by mthiel
Please tell me you are joking. I saw the unaired pilot a few months ago and thought it was decent. I did not like the intercutting with Eliza running with video game footage, but it wasn't horrible. It didn't look like something I would watch from week to week, unless the reviews were really good.
I think the Jake 2.0 pilot is marginally better, but I am not really interested in that show either.
I did not see last nights airing, however.

I'm really not joking about this. I can exaggerate at times, but I truly mean it when I saw it was one of the worst hours of television I have ever experienced.

Every little part of the show was off-kilter. None of the character reactions to various events seemed real at all. Do you know that feeling you get, when you are watching a show and one of the main characters starts singing for some ridiculous reason? That is the uncomfortable feeling I was experiencing the entire episode.
Old 10-31-03, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have to agree with Ray on this, god was that one (1) hour of my life I could have back please. I do not think I have been as disappointed in a show/movie since Matrix Reloaded came out.

Whats with the summary at the halfway mark. If youve been watching the show why do you need a cliff notes version going into the second half?

Yeah Eliza is hot, but her sister and the coke habit is going to get old. I actually did like the nerdy Morgue supervisor. If I can get enough alcohol in me prior to next Thursday at 2000, I just might give this a second shot.
Old 10-31-03, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk God

I love how people are complaining about this show. Were people going in expecting an Emmy-award winning drama? Did people not know the premise of the show going in?

I also have a feeling that a lot of people would be dissapointed with any series that Eliza is in except for one where she a played a specific character that they already know and love.
Old 10-31-03, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the show would be much better if the dead people in the morgue were vampires that Tru had just 'taken care of'.
Old 10-31-03, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Couldn't have said it better myself. My wife and I finished watching it, and the first words out of my mouth were "Well, there's an hour out of my life that I'm never getting back..."
Old 10-31-03, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Red Dog
I love how people are complaining about this show. Were people going in expecting an Emmy-award winning drama? Did people not know the premise of the show going in?
I don't think anyone is criticizing the premise... It's actually the only thing about the show that didn't suck. Writing sucked. Direction sucked. Editing/style sucked. Acting sucked (and yes, I'm including Eliza in that). Premise... was fine. I really liked it a couple of seasons ago on Early Edition...
Old 10-31-03, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I also was really surprised to see a midshow summary. That was just really strange.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.