Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

so, what's the consensus on The West Wing post-Sorkin?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-03, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm keeping out of the current WW threads since I'm catching them for the first time on Bravo (I'm two episodes prior to Two Cathedrals, which I hear is nothing short of brilliant).

Am I going to be bitterly disappointed once I start watching season 5?

BTW, a bunch of the WW cast will be on World Poker Tour on Bravo December 9 for those interested.
Old 10-30-03, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts
You'll probably be disappointed. Then again, I thought the WW was rather lackluster last year up until late in the season.
Old 10-30-03, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't like it one bit; a big reason I started watching WW was because I was trying to get over my Sportsnight-withdrawal. Now that Sorkin has left, the only thing I have are memories. I'm still going to keep watching (atleast until November sweeps), but this entire season has been a big letdown for me. Hopefully that's just because of the recent plotlines and not because of the actual show itself.

H
Old 10-30-03, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't know about a general consensus, but my opinion is that the overall acting and storyline seems to be just as good. However, the show is currently lacking in the quoteable/clever/laugh-out-loud lines department.
Old 10-30-03, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Tscott
I don't know about a general consensus, but my opinion is that the overall acting and storyline seems to be just as good. However, the show is currently lacking in the quoteable/clever/laugh-out-loud lines department.
I was afraid of that. Any show that references a failed missle intercept (with a brief prior mention of Peanuts ) with "I believe the phrase you are looking for is 'Oh, Good Grief' "..........
Old 10-30-03, 05:19 PM

My father doesn't keep up with entertainment news at all. So I found it interesting when I was talking to him last night & he asked me if something seemed weird about the West Wing this season.

So it's being noticed by those who don't know Sorkin too. Which can't be a good thing.
Old 10-30-03, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
• Quoth Tscott •<HR SIZE=1>I don't know about a general consensus, but my opinion is that the overall acting and storyline seems to be just as good. However, the show is currently lacking in the quoteable/clever/laugh-out-loud lines department. <HR SIZE=1>

I agree. Keep in mind too that we're only 5 episodes into the season, and last night's episode was pretty darn good. I think we need a larger sample set before we pass any judgment.

das
Old 06-07-04, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

okay, I just sat down and watched all of S5 over the past 3 weekends, after having watched S1-4 off of Bravo. Going thru the weekly threads for S5 later today to get the general consensus, but some observations:

Missing the witty banter and the care that these characters used to feel for each other. They've gone thru some rough patches before, collectively and individually, but you always got the sense that they each had each others back. S5 seemed way to confrontational between the Senior Staff.

Some ridiculous drama-music interludes at the end of a few episodes ("Shutdown", etc..) Previous season would let the situation dictate the tone, not some in-your-face interlude.

Some good moments (Barlett walking to the Capitol, "The Supremes") but Sorkin could have done so much more with the material if he was involved (the tree lighting ceremony with Prez and the grandson leaps immediately to mind)

And Joshua Molina is terribly underused. Ditto for Dule Hill.

It's still a show with a brilliantly talented cast. But it's no different than any other drama on TV now.

It's basically The W-ER-st Wing now. And that's a shame.
Old 06-07-04, 09:56 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Ha. I had a similar thread, I had just watched the 4 seasons on Bravo, and forgot to Tivo the S5 stupid me. So I need to wait for the 1st half of S5 to check it.

I did watch the last 2 episodes of S5 to see what happened.
Old 06-07-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• djbrown •

It's still a show with a brilliantly talented cast. But it's no different than any other drama on TV now.
I'd agree with this. It went from being one of the best things on television and the cream of the network crop to simply a good show. It was really sad to watch that happen.

das
Old 06-07-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by das Monkey
I'd agree with this. It went from being one of the best things on television and the cream of the network crop to simply a good show. It was really sad to watch that happen.

das

It is not even that anymore. There was one brilliant episode this season - The Supremes - I'm sure this will be one of the episodes they send to the Emmy committee. The rest of the episodes can be summed up with one word - mediocre.
Old 06-07-04, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought about using the word "good" for a while before typing it, but I do think it still stands above the average network drama. "Mediocre" may be a better word, but I'd still rather watch it than most of the network shows, even if only for the acting.

das
Old 10-15-04, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Has anyone seen the promos for this coming season.

Wow. It makes me want to start back watching it again.

Regarding a part of the promo:

Spoiler:
If Toby leaves, I just have to abandon the show...again!
Old 10-15-04, 02:05 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts
tvguide has a bunch of stuff on the upcoming season.

One story that I think could be interesting is
Spoiler:
Leo having a heart attack and C.J. becoming chief of staff

I guess Sheen has until Christmas to decide if he's coming back or not for next season
Old 10-15-04, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by MrX
tvguide has a bunch of stuff on the upcoming season.

One story that I think could be interesting is
Spoiler:
Leo having a heart attack and C.J. becoming chief of staff

I guess Sheen has until Christmas to decide if he's coming back or not for next season
Spoiler:
That scene with Leo in the woods(?) was weird. Wonder if the casket at the end of the promo has anything to do with this?

This show needs some spice.
Old 10-15-04, 02:16 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts
Here's the tv guide story

Spoiler:
Just to catch you up: Back in 1999, NBC's White House drama launched almost two years into President Josiah Bartlet's first term. In Season 4, Bartlet (aka Martin Sheen) defeated James Brolin to score himself a second term. Presidential fever heats up again in Season 6 (beginning Oct. 20 at 9 pm/ET) when various guest stars — including Jimmy Smits and Alan Alda — start surfacing as candidates for Sheen's Oval Office digs. The decision as to when Sheen will pass the torch rests entirely in the star's hands, though.
"This is the last year of Martin's contract, and he has to decide what he wants to do next," says executive producer John Wells. "It would be our preference to do the election next season. But if Martin tells me around Christmastime that he doesn't want to do any more beyond this season, we may accelerate that. We may choose to speed up [the election], we may choose to do something else. We haven't made any plans yet for if he doesn't [come back]. We're in full denial!"

Meanwhile, here's what else Wells has in store for your fave West Wingers...

New Job for C.J. Cregg: "In Episode 2, Leo McGarry suffers a major heart attack and is unable to continue as the chief of staff," Wells reveals. "The president, while considering Josh and Toby for the part, comes to the conclusion that the best person for it is C.J. Allison Janney is wonderful. She's so talented and I think she'd reached the point where she'd answered questions in the press-briefing room about as many times as she could. So it's great to see a talented actress having a whole other meal to dig into. She's [also] not too busy for love, but a little too busy right at the beginning of this season...."

Leaving the White House: Just before the holidays, Josh will become so disillusioned with the vice-president's campaign that he'll quit the White House. "Leo talks Josh into finding his own Democratic candidate, the way Leo found Bartlet," Wells explains. "Josh will run a long-shot campaign for [Jimmy Smits' character]." And as for Donna, she'll go to work for the Veep's campaign.

Whoa! You know what that means: Since Josh will no longer be Donna's supervisor at the White House — where employee fraternization is verboten — these two will finally be free to date! "They're at odds but could have a relationship if they wanted to," Wells concedes. "We love those two characters and we love their interaction, so people who are interested in that romantic possibility will enjoy this season."

More laughs: "The show needs to be more enjoyable and have the buoyancy it had before 9/11," Wells says, promising "it's going to be funny again."
Old 10-15-04, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by MrX
Here's the tv guide story

Thanks. I'm not a good searcher.

Sounds pretty interesting.

Last edited by conscience; 10-15-04 at 03:14 AM.
Old 10-15-04, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Yep - John Wells is turning this into another ER. A show I coincidentally stopped watching after S5.
Old 10-15-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Red Dog
Yep - John Wells is turning this into another ER. A show I coincidentally stopped watching after S5.

If it's anything like the first 8 seasons, I am A-O-K.
Old 10-15-04, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I only remember one fantastic episode from last season, the one where
Spoiler:
the budget is late and Josh and Pres. Bartlett walk to the Capitol Building, then walk out.
In my opinion, they even screwed up the
Spoiler:
Zoe kidnapping
storyline that Sorkin left them with.
Old 10-15-04, 05:43 PM
Banned

Post-Sorkin there are actually Republican sides to some stories.
Old 10-15-04, 09:59 PM

I watched the first few episodes post-Sorkin and didn't like them. Then I would let 3 or 4 episodes build up at a time in TiVo. Eventually they would go *poof* due to space limits before I watched them. I ended up deleting my season pass.

However, I got a (very) minor chill watching the promo for the new season, and on a whim added it back to my season pass list. The promo reminded me of the way it use to be for me, where almost every episode left me with a "my goodness would it be any more possible for me to love this show???" feeling. It's the feeling I currently get with Scrubs, use to get with Alias (and hope to get again), and just may possibly get from Lost after I give it a few more eps.
Old 10-15-04, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i read the tv guide spoilers and the only thing that pops into my head is "WTF!?!" i have been with this show since day one and have loved every sorkin moment. i still get chills everytime i see "in the shadow of two gunmen". then last season, it all started the quick plunge downhill. those possible storylines sound pretty ridiculous, especially the one about cj.
Old 10-20-04, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

New question: For someone who has only watched this show on DVD, will the big shakeups they have in store be a good place to start watching this season? Or will I be totally lost?
Old 10-20-04, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Chew
New question: For someone who has only watched this show on DVD, will the big shakeups they have in store be a good place to start watching this season? Or will I be totally lost?
I would put off watching the current season until you catch up via DVDs or the Bravo airings.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.