Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles might get QT owned theater

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-03, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/entertain...908&p=84y686y4

Tarantino to take over his own cinema

28/10/2003 - 19:03:55

Quentin Tarantino is on the verge of fulfilling his lifelong ambition to run his own cinema.

The Kill Bill writer-director is negotiating to lease the vacant King Hing cinema in Los Angeles’ Chinatown district and plans to show the kinds of films he loves – Asian martial arts films, spaghetti Westerns and 1970s blaxploitation films, reports Variety.

Tarantino also plans to restore the hundreds of old Chinese language films in storage at the cinema and show them, too, along with films from his expansive library.

Tarantino grew up-watching old Chinese martial arts films at the 425-seat King Hing, which stopped showing films in the mid-’90s and was the last of the three Chinatown cinemas to close.

It is the only one still in working condition.
Pretty nice. Good in theory, but with a niche market like that it will eventually go under.
Old 10-29-03, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>>Pretty nice. Good in theory, but with a niche market like that it will eventually go under.
Old 10-29-03, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Location isn't really ideal. You wonder why the old theater closed..

It's a niche market and if you just specialize in one thing it shouldn't last long. you will get the crowds based on the fact that it's owned by him, but it really wont last long. good in theory, but it wont last forever.
Old 10-29-03, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok Cleo.
Old 10-29-03, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I almost wish I lived in L.A.
My dream is to have my own theater and play movies I love for others to experience it as well.

Applause to QT. Hope it all goes well.
Old 10-29-03, 11:40 PM
Banned

That idiot.

He should build this in Times Square like in the old days.

Oh man that would rock!
Old 10-30-03, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Revoltor
That idiot.

He should build this in Times Square like in the old days.

Oh man that would rock!
Yeah, he can nestle it right between the disney stores and those souvenir shops.

Note to Revolter: Times square is dead. It now belongs to the yuppies.

God, I miss the old days.
Old 10-30-03, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So do I!
Old 10-30-03, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
This is a noble cause that will probably give hime a nice tax deduction.
Old 10-30-03, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hope QT succeed with his new theater!
Old 10-30-03, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
This sound great, but, like many things Quentin talks about, I'll believe it when I see it, most likely 10-15 years from now.
Old 10-30-03, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
Now if he could only do something about the parking in Chinatown. It's f'n ridiculous.
Old 10-30-03, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just as long as he doesn't screen those Bulldog Drummond movies he's so fond of he'll be fine.
Old 10-30-03, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,507 Posts
That would be awesome. (I'd want to do the same thing if I was a rich big shot director, which I'm sadly not anything remotely close to being). Now, if only I lived anywhere near the place.

Tarantino also plans to restore the hundreds of old Chinese language films in storage at the cinema
Would this be the same batch of old Chinese nitrate films that were recently discovered and parts were used by Wong Kar-Wai in his short film that appears on the Criterion In the Mood for Love DVD? Its nice that someone cares about saving these films (and has the resources to do something about it).
Old 10-30-03, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He should play his old movies that are out on dvd now along with his favorites. I know people would pay to see Pulp & Reservoir Dogs in theaters.
Old 10-30-03, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Location isn't really ideal. You wonder why the old theater closed..

It's a niche market and if you just specialize in one thing it shouldn't last long. you will get the crowds based on the fact that it's owned by him, but it really wont last long. good in theory, but it wont last forever.
Chinatown has been out-of-style for a many years, but there was just an article (4 months ago?) in the LA times about how Chinatown is making a big economic comeback which is being contributed to the new subway running through downtown to Pasadena.

I also think with low enoguh prices, the name could be enough draw and advertising. There is more than enough people in LA that will love to get drunk and/or stoned and go to these type of movies as long as it is cheap enough...I am guessing that they will throw in other cult or new cult (i.e. Goonies) type movies once in awhile....
Old 10-30-03, 05:39 PM
Banned

Five years ago LA already had a lot of arthouse and revival theaters. People thought the market was saturated, that the marketplace couldn't sustain anymore revival theaters. Then came the non-profit American Cinemateque at the Egyptian and the Arclight both offering special events, revivals, festivals, etc. And they're both doing well. I think interest in revival (classic and cult) cinema is high enough in LA to sustain a couple more theaters. The Cinemateque is opening a new theater soon in Santa Monica. None of this means a new theater in Chinatown would live forever (nothing ever does) but I'm sure it would do all right for a while.

Furthermore, Tarantino loves the Magic Johnson Theaters which qualify for all kinds of tax breaks because they are in areas the local government wants to "revitalize". I wouldn't be surprised that if an investor wanted to dump a lot of money into a new theater in Chinatown (essentially downtown L.A.) they would qualify for some tax relief as well.

What's wrong with Chinatown as a location? It's centrally located, it's near a lot of Chinese and other asian immigrant communities, it's near the Music Center and the new Walt Disney concert hall, and it's near USC.

BTW, Chinatown has been holding outdoor screenings of HK films for the last couple of years during their film festival http://www.chinatownla.com/filmfest02.htm
Just checked on the 2003 line-up and it seems to have slipped a little; all Jackie Chan and only his new Hollywood movies. So that's a little ho-hum.

Anyway, I'll go to the Tarantinoplex

Last edited by Pants; 10-30-03 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-30-03, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Chinatown location problem as I can see it right now is parking like devil said above. the place is a mess for parking. Haven't seen it in a while, but the Gold rail construction (which is now complete and has a stop in chinatown) should be a benefit depending if the parking for that can also double as parking for the theater. After looking at a lot of the CRA L.A. plans the future of chinatown looks to be really waiting on the success of that transportation.

As for the indie scene in L.A. it's huge. can this succeed? Yes. though I have my doubts that it will last forever, it's atleast a bonus to the chinatown district. It has potential to become a booming area. the Buddhist temple is set to be complete next year and plans are in for residential and artist lofts to be put up. in all, it does have the potential to be cool, but it just depends on what happens.
Old 10-30-03, 06:29 PM
Banned

The Nuart has ZERO parking and it does fine.
Old 10-30-03, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
This is a pretty cool idea and I hope it does enough to keep going.

Anyone have ideas as to what he should name it?
(in case he's checking out the thread )
Old 10-30-03, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It's santa monica. there's a difference between santa monica and chinatown. the place is dead at night... then again I might have just owned myself with that answer since at night the place is dead , thus parking on the street before it gets a face lift might provide that much needed parking and once a parking structure is put in place it will help out more. oh well, consider my question answered by myself.
Old 10-30-03, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Here's a pretty good article about the future of chinatown pants. Being to L.A. boys, figure you would like to see it as well.

http://www.lightrail.com/news/news03-08-22-4.htm

Chinatown Awaits Gold Rush
With a new light-rail line bringing in more visitors, merchants and community leaders are making plans to return the area to its glory days.

by Elizabeth Kelly, Times Staff Writer

Making a run for dim sum is easier now, but will that be enough to turn Chinatown's fortunes around?

Hopes for the district's revival are riding on the rails of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority's Gold Line, which travels 14 miles from downtown Pasadena to Los Angeles' Union Station, with a stop at the Chinatown Station at Spring and College streets.

Since trains started running July 26, Chinatown merchants say, business has picked up. The newfound access to the district's 400 or so retailers, and its nearly 100 eateries, has attracted people such as Jerri Potras, an administrator at Los Angeles City College, which is near a Red Line station at Vermont Avenue and Santa Monica Boulevard.

When Potras took the train over for lunch at Foo-Chow on a recent Friday, it had been more than a decade since her last visit. And she wondered what had happened to the Chinatown she remembered.

"It wasn't nearly as busy and active as it had been before," she said. "I really hope the Gold Line can bring people back in."

A glamorous nightspot during its mid-century heyday, the 303-acre neighborhood near Dodger Stadium has seen booms and busts since, and more of the latter. Merchants say problematic parking is a chief culprit.

Now, the new light-rail line is giving Chinatown "a wonderful excuse to pull itself together," said Michael Woo, a former Los Angeles city councilman who served as a consultant for the MTA. "The test is whether Chinatown can keep building the momentum."

There are big plans. Director Quentin Tarantino is in talks to purchase the vacant King Hing theater. The renovation of the Tin Hau Buddhist temple is slated for completion by Chinese New Year in January. Steve Riboli, owner of the San An-tonio Winery just north of Chinatown, is pushing for-ward a proposal to convert the Capitol Mills site, once a grain mill and silo, into lofts and artists' space.

One Los Angeles developer, sources say, is thinking about erecting a residential-retail complex — including a parking lot — near the light-rail station, on a site that once housed Little Joe's Restaurant. And several national retailers have inquired about bringing their shops to Chinatown.

Community leaders figure that if the Gold Line keeps bringing people in, plans are more likely to get off the drawing board.

The early returns are positive. At Ocean Seafood Restaurant on Hill Street, Gold Line riders are beginning to fill the gaps created in the dining room by diners' fear of severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS, a virus first reported in China that made some Angelenos wary of Asian neighborhoods.

"The train has helped us out a lot," manager Linda Chen said.

Luong Wong, who owns Hing-Fat Co., a grocery specializing in traditional Chinese remedies, said he was encouraged by the prospect of more foot traffic, especially after 4 p.m. During the day, locals meander into Wong's store on North Broadway to scan the collection of pills, extracts and lotions that he keeps behind the counter, or to browse the products arranged neatly in the aisles, which range from blue-lidded canisters of Horlick's "nourishing food drink" to bins of angelica root sold for $22.99 a pound.

At night, however, Chinatown "is like a ghost town" compared with its glory days, said Kenneth Lee, whose family has owned the Jade Tree gift and antique store since 1947.

Then, in the evenings, neon lights and hanging lanterns drew crowds searching for something exotic to the Hong Kong Cafe and Madame Wong's, or to the romantic piano bar at General Lee's, a favorite of Hollywood celebrities.

Back then, Chinatown bustled until the wee hours of morning, Lee said. Now the Jade Tree closes at 5 p.m. sharp.

"Without parking, you are without business," he said. "If Chinatown had parking like Beverly Hills, Santa Monica or Old Town, where they give people two hours of free parking, it would go back to how it was in the '50s and '60s."

As they look ahead, community leaders say they're certain the blocks around the Chinatown Station won't suffer the fate of some of the neighborhoods on the MTA's Blue Line, which has linked Long Beach and Los Angeles for 13 years. That line didn't do much for working-class communities such as Florence and southern Los Angeles; the more than 70,000 people who ride trains on the route each day simply pass through, taking their dollars with them.

"With the Blue Line, the impact is not as big as had been hoped, in part because there is not the same development around the stations" as there is around Gold Line stations, said Raphael Bostic, an associate professor of policy, planning and development at USC. "There is very little there that would draw people in."

Even as it is, Chinatown boosters say, their district is a draw.

"When people come here they are amazed," said George Yu, executive director of the Chinatown Business Council. "The architecture, the fragrances, the sounds — these are all things you will not see in suburbia."

With the Gold Line up and running, a "certain flow of visitors" will naturally develop, he said. "Now, what can Chinatown do to make sure visitors find something to do?"

Three years ago, property owners in Chinatown formed a business improvement district, taxing themselves to pay for security patrols and neighborhood cleanup and beautification efforts. On the Gold Line's opening day, and on weekends since, employees of the Los Angeles Chinatown Business Council, which manages the Chinatown improvement district, have greeted the riders at the station, handing out maps and restaurant guides.

Noted Chinese American author Lisa See contributed to the guidebook for an informal tour called Angel's Walk, which leads visitors to historic sites such as the East Gate, built by groundbreaking attorney You Chung Hong to honor the memory of his mother; a 1950s-style alleyway used in a number of Hollywood films; and a thoroughly modernized General Lee's, now a trendy bar.

"Magnets that pull the people out of the train and into the sidewalks are going to be critical," said Councilman Ed Reyes, whose district includes Chinatown.

That means promoting historic restaurants and describing the different commercial corridors, Reyes said.

"We have to show them not just the trinkets but the cultural elements as well. It's our challenge to get the mainstream to understand the richness."

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 10-30-03 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-30-03, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
I can see QT's theater showing a lot of the same that was shown at the Heroic Grace film festival at UCLA. New prints of Shaw Bros classics. He was there for the opening and introduced most of those films.

I remember going to the Empress Theater in Hawaii and watching the Shaw bros films in their first run, original language. I would think that a partnership with Celestial could make the theater profitable.
Old 10-31-03, 11:48 AM
Banned

Good link Jack.

What I think is funny is that they're making such a fuss about this new gold line station when the Hub of the whole system, Union Station, has been right there 200 yards away the whole time.

Also your point about the Nuart being in Santa Monica makes no sense. They have no parking in a very popular, high traffic area and they still do great business.
Old 10-31-03, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Whenever I went to the Nuart the local residential area was where I parked. You really don't get that from chinatown. I sorta disproved my own point so I dropped that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.