Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Aaack! Are there no 24 encores this season?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-03, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Between work and all hell breaking out here in the San Diego area over the last few days, I completely forgot that 24 premiered last night.

I did a schedule search on my sat receiver, and couldn't find an encore showing this week. Is Fox/Fx not doing encores this season? If so, that sucks. Anybody know of something I don't?

TIA

P.S. Sorry for starting a new 24 thread, but I didn't want to look in the other ones and read a spoiler...
Old 10-29-03, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From FXNetworks.com

Sorry, there has been an internal error with this script. We were unable to find the name of the television program you were looking for.
Please close this window and continue your browing.
Well, that's helpful. I would suspect there will be a mini FX catch-up marathon sometime during the season, probably in early January.

das
Old 10-29-03, 04:13 PM

I read on another board that the first episode is going to be replayed on FOX this Thursday night at 8 CST. In looking at the schedule on the FOX website it has Skin in that slot, but it could be that 24 is replacing that.
Old 10-29-03, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Which other board?

Here's my post from the tivocommunity forum:
10/30 Fox Primetime - Skin encore to be replaced by 24 premiere encore
I had been in contact with our local Fox affiliate "Programmming" guru as there were "technical difficulties" for DirecTV customers in the Austin DMA (the fiber-optic line between the affiliate and DTV went down halfway through 24). At the time, there was no known repeat of 24 on FX or otherwise.

She called me to explain what happened, and 45 minutes later called back (just now). She had just received info from "The Network" that the 24 premiere shown last night, Tuesday 10-28, at 9pm (8 Central) will be repeated tomorrow AFTER the premiere for Tru Calling in lieu of their regularly scheduled Skin encore (Thursday 10-30, at 9pm [8 Central]).

Now this is "fresh" news, as fox.com (and of course all the usual guide suspects) still indicates the Skin encore. But those who inadvertently screwed up their 24 recording, or after hearing about it would like to see the premiere, can (cancel their downloads) rest easy and schedule it for Thursday.

If the guide data does not update, you might want a manual recording. Hopefully no Skin followers skipped the earlier airing of the episode antipicating the encore.

Of course, no one ever has conflicts on Thursdays.

If I'm wrong, then I take full blame. Otherwise, you heard it here first!
If this turns out to be right, does this earn my membership in the TV Forum???

Last edited by Y2K Falcon; 10-29-03 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-29-03, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It looks good! They added this to their current banner on the local affiliate website!

NOTE: It says "Thursday", not "Thursdays", so it may be just for the premiere. I'm assuming they'll get a clue and start doing the FX encores if they have any brains at all.
Old 10-29-03, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fox updated their schedule:

http://www.fox.com/schedule/

Also, IIRC, the Skin site had references to Thursday encores earlier today and it looks like those have been removed.

Sadly, for me, since my tivo "recorded" it, this will fall under the 28 day rule, so I'll have to manually record it. We'll see whose PVR guides get updated "fast enough" if you missed recording it.

Last edited by Y2K Falcon; 10-29-03 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-30-03, 03:17 AM

Whew!

Thanks for the replies, everybody. I'll set a manual record on the PVR for Thursday night, even if "Skin" is still listed on Dish's programming guide.
Old 10-30-03, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts
Originally posted by Y2K Falcon
Sadly, for me, since my tivo "recorded" it, this will fall under the 28 day rule, so I'll have to manually record it. We'll see whose PVR guides get updated "fast enough" if you missed recording it.
BTW, you can override the 28 day rule by setting your 24 Season Pass recording option to "All (with duplicates)".

And yeah, for this week's encore you =will= probably need to manually record it, or program the unit to record by time/channel, since the schedule info will likely show Skin in that timeslot instead of 24.

Last edited by kenbuzz; 10-30-03 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10-30-03, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would guess that this will ultimately be replayed on FX after this 1st episode. I'm betting that Ford wouldn't spring for a commercial-free hour for the pilor at 11pm on FX. Surely subsequent episodes will be re-aired on FX as they were the past two seasons.
Old 10-30-03, 01:59 PM

I just looked again at http://www.fxnetworks.com/schedule/ and Monday night is now showing "TBA" from 8pm-10pm. Hopefully they'll be showing the encore duing this timeslot, as they've done for the past 2 seasons.

This would help alleviate a lot of the conflicts people will undoubtably have tonight...I know my wife will want to watch CSI, but fortunately we can get this over-the-air.

Now I just need to get home at a reasonable hour, or teach her how to use the HD STB (talking to her over the phone )
Old 11-03-03, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
While watching the Skins-Cowboys game, I saw a promo mentioning that the premiere episode will be repeated on Tuesday on FOX at 8:00 pm ET as the lead-in to the second episode which airs at 9:00 pm ET. Looks like Joe Millionare: International Affair or whatever its called is taking the night off.

When the premiere episode re-aired on Thursday before the premiere of Tru Calling, it did run with commercials so expect the same on Tuesday. To fit the commercials in, they edited out some scenes that orginially aired during the premiere showing. Since this isn't the main "24" thread for the first episode, I won't mention all the scenes so not to spoil. (One scene I can mention is that we don't see the replay of Palmer collapsing from getting hit with that virus which was the final scene from Season #2. It instead goes right into the scene where the "bad guys" drop off the body at the medical center.)

According to TVGuide.com, FX is airing the movie "Ransom" from 8:00 pm ET to 10:30 pm ET. I think with the two re-airs on FOX, that FX won't be airing a replay of the premiere. However starting with the second episode, expect re-airs like the last two seasons although at what day/time, who knows. (Hopefully they do re-air, as most likely I'll miss a Tuesday airing either due to taping other stuff or the VCR messing up.)

LB...
Old 11-03-03, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
oh come on. they could run less comemricals. the program it self was only about 50 minutes anyway.
Old 11-03-03, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There's fumblings that FOX is going to re-edit the 2 "hours" of The Next Joe Millionaire into just one hour for its Monday night slot, and air something else in the 8 p.m. EST Tuesday night slot for the remainder of the show.