Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Anyone get Final Fantasy XI?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-03, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone get Final Fantasy XI?

I saw that FF XI came out yesterday, and I'm wondering if anyone has picked it up. I want to wait and get other people's impressions before I spend another $50 on an online game. It didn't work out so well the last time I did(Star Wars:Galaxies), but then again this is Final Fantasy and Square has rarely let me down.
Old 10-29-03, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked it up today and i started my install at 2:30 and its 3:30 and im downloading updates, lol. I enjoyed SWG and i still play it even though im basically paying to play a beta for a beta. I just wanna start playing FF11 but the initial install was for 6 gigs of info, then now im updating different programs, first it was updating and setting up all the information for Playonline and no im updating for FF11. I guess its safe to safe it'll be around 1-1.5 hrs after you put in the CD you will actaully get to play the game. Oh well, Square makes great games and ive always enjoyed playing the Final Fantasy series except for 8 and 9. My game is almost currently only 50% updated for FF. so ill be playing in around 15 mins. After a few hours I'll tell what I think of it, but i rather have a week with the game before i have a final thought. Since i hated swg the first 3-4 days then i ended up really liking it.

ok nevermind what i thought was the final update wasn't i have another update which will take another hour. wtf i was all hyped up to play but all this waiting kinda killed it, lol

Last edited by Excelesor; 10-29-03 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-01-03, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This game sets new standards in frustration for gaming. Not only does it take hours to install and then update (it just came out, why does it need updates?), but it's also incredibly difficult to get to play with your friends.

FFXI takes place on 30 different servers. You're placed at random on these servers. Players on these servers cannot interact, so you have two options of getting onto the same server as your friends.

First, you can simply delete your character and recreate it over and over til you are placed on the right server. This is pretty difficult, as I've tried this over 30 times and not got onto the right one yet.

Your friend can also buy you a "world pass" using gil (in game money). Unfortunately, by the time he/she has enough money to buy you a pass, they are already much higher leveled than you will be, since when you enter a new server, you start from scratch, instead of just transferring your character. Oh yes, and the price of the world pass is more expensive for busier servers, so your friend may never be able to afford to get you to his world.

With Square charging $49.99 for the game alone, and an additional $12.95 a month just to play, the least they could have done was let you pick which server you wanted to be on to start or let players join in groups. If they don't fix this problem, its going to be a disaster when it hits PS2 next year (and PS2 uses the same servers). How many online gamers will want to just go on with random people when they've been touting the play with your friends aspect for so long?
Old 11-01-03, 02:01 PM

I have not played it. A friend has just started playing it. There are quite a few japanese players on it. I do not mean anything bad by that, but he says there is a lot of Japanese characters in the chats. Penny Arcade had a pretty funny strip on it: http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php...03-10-30&res=l
Old 11-01-03, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That cartoon about sums up my feelings on the game. I highly recommend that people avoid this game like the plague. Maybe Square will get the message that if they are gonna charge a fortune, they should at least give you a little choice, not just push you around even more.

Avoid this thing, and wait for X-2, Crystal Chronicles or Kingdom Hearts 2 instead.
Old 11-01-03, 02:29 PM

Penny arcade is great.
Old 11-01-03, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
I didn't think it was that funny, but that's just me
Old 11-02-03, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

$12.95 a month isn't really a fortune. Star Wars Galaxies charges 14.99 a month, which is on the high side, but 12.95 a month is about right for mmorpgs. I agree the setup of the game is a pain and the world pass thing is really dumb, but once you get through all that and get used to the controls, it's a great game.
Old 11-02-03, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by NitroJMS
This game sets new standards in frustration for gaming. Not only does it take hours to install and then update (it just came out, why does it need updates?), but it's also incredibly difficult to get to play with your friends.

FFXI takes place on 30 different servers. You're placed at random on these servers. Players on these servers cannot interact, so you have two options of getting onto the same server as your friends.

First, you can simply delete your character and recreate it over and over til you are placed on the right server. This is pretty difficult, as I've tried this over 30 times and not got onto the right one yet.
I read this on another page I frequent, and as I do not have FF11, I do not know for certain if it works, but you guys can try it out. Credit to Archamedies for the find!

1. Make a new character
2. Select all the attributes, race, job, etc etc
3. Select starting town.

4. ***The important step*** When the screen comes up to associate a handle with your character, press Escape. This will take you back to the main menu. Go to character select and check which server your new toon is on. If he isn't on the server you want, delete, and when you go back to Create Character it has your previous settings memorized. You can literally spam the enter key through the options, get to the handle, escape, and check again. It typically only takes 5-10 minutes to land on the server you want, as each attempt only takes about 10 seconds on a fast computer.