Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

A question about Neverwinter Nights

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-03, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A question about Neverwinter Nights

Hiya, I'm just getting into this game after buying it earlier this year, and have noticed a problem with the text. It just seems difficult to read. As if it's just not sharp enough. The website help tells me to update the game (obviously) and enable hi-res textures. Here lies the problem. I can't update the game cause it keeps saying that it can't find an internet connection, and the PC I play it on doesn't connect to the internet (HERESY!!! I hear you say!!). I've downloaded the patch I need and followed all instructions to apply it manually, and even updated the updating portion of the game, but it still says it can't find an internet connection.
Do I NEED an internet connection to update this game or can I do it without one?
I suppose as a last resort I can move the computer to the other side of the house and hook it up to the network but it would just be a hassle.
Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-28-03, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I cant help you as far as updating the game goes..

Is Antialiasing enabled? If so, try disabling it and seeing if that helps. Some games antialias everything...including text.
Old 10-28-03, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by flashburn
I cant help you as far as updating the game goes..

Is Antialiasing enabled? If so, try disabling it and seeing if that helps. Some games antialias everything...including text.
No it's turned off (or all the way to the left).
I have an LCD screen and am running at 1024x768 (tried 800x600 as well but it wouldn't fix the text).
ATI Radeon 9000 card. Maybe I should try updating the graphics drivers, It's been a couple of months since I did that...
Old 10-28-03, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe that the hi-res text needs to be installed when you're installing the game for the first time. I'm sorry to break it to you, but you might need to uninstall and reinstall the game.
Old 10-28-03, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You can update the game manually, without an internet connection. I did it myself, since I have a dial-up connection at home & broadband at work. I downloaded the patch files from work, put it on a USB flash drive, then copied the files to my home PC & updated it. Just follow the instructions on bioware's web site step-by-step. It's very simple if you read through it.
Old 10-28-03, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by kaiyouske
I believe that the hi-res text needs to be installed when you're installing the game for the first time. I'm sorry to break it to you, but you might need to uninstall and reinstall the game.
That might just be the solution to the problem. The computer has been on and off the internet since I installed the game so maybe it expects it to be connected?

I'll give it a try and see how it goes. Hopefully my savegames will stay intact.
Old 10-28-03, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually I went to install it again just then, and it didn't give me an option for Hi-Res text. The only graphics related option I had was what texture packs to install. I chose all 3 (16mb, 32mb, and 64mb).
I'll see how it goes after it finishes installing.
Man my legs are getting tired walking back and forth between rooms.
Old 10-28-03, 06:20 PM

Hmm....I'm actually not home right now but I'll check on it for you once I get off work today.
Old 10-28-03, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Once it was installed I did the update and it still said there was no internet connection, but a second later it continued to grab the patch from the file I downloaded. Then in the Advanced Graphics options there is another check box with no lable. If I check that the text get fixed up. Looks better now and plays smoother too.

Thanks for all your help guys. I didn't think I'd get the problem sorted so quick