Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Top Spin Reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-03, 08:32 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Top Spin Reviews?

Any Word of Mouth or reviews on this game yet?
Old 10-27-03, 08:43 PM

Some reviews can be found here.
Old 10-27-03, 08:53 PM

Stellar reviews across the board.

Why Sega just handed the tennis market over to a newcomer without a fight is just baffling. Over 370,000 Virtua Tennis copies were sold on Dreamcast. {And over 100,000 total of Sega Sports Tennis 2k2 were sold, despite the limited improvement, since the first was done so well.}

Who wouldn't have bought a new Virtua Tennis Online if it had showed up in the past year?
Old 10-27-03, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yup... sounds like a winner so far from the reviews. i am getting very very busy w/ all the new games coming out... just not enough time.

yes, i will be getting topspin as well.
Old 10-28-03, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's up for order on X-box retail rewards site. Now I just wish there were other games on there to spend my 4500 points. Looking forward to getting this.
Old 10-28-03, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/562452.asp

So far the reviews are looking good.
Old 10-29-03, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

well, some bad news for some people.

i just read that the only way to play doubles is to have each team on the same xbox. that is, you can't have 4 people on their own machines at home.
Old 10-30-03, 08:02 AM

Just to clarify what young said, you can't get online with 3 of your buddies from different locations and play doubles together. Your doubles partner have to be sitting next to you to play.

It would have been nice to be able to do this, but it's still a pretty damn good tennis game!

Thong
Old 10-30-03, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah, don't get me wrong... i'm still picking it up b/c so far, people say it's a great game. people keep comparing it to virtua tennis, but since i never played that game, i don't know what that means.

i have my copy on hold at toysrus and will pick it up tonight.
Old 10-30-03, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 909 Likes on 671 Posts
Great game. Played it last night, though I didn't get a chance to go on XBLive with it. Graphics, animations, and gameplay are all outstanding. Improves on what Virtua Tennis did so well in every way.
Old 10-30-03, 01:22 PM

Man! Ran up against Ken Nash in the career mode Pro tournament, and got my butt whooped. Ouch! More training!

Thong
Old 10-30-03, 04:18 PM

Alright I picked this one up since they didn't have Crimson Skies at the local TRU but I haven't opened it yet just in case. I used to really like the Sega Virtua Tennis game (especially the mini-games). I'm not a big fan of real pro tennis though and generally would rather play shooters on XBOX LIVE since I always get killed when I try Football.

Anyone have any tips/insight into whether I should keep this one?
Old 10-30-03, 05:19 PM

How about try renting TopSpin, if you like it, then open your copy. If not, return it.
Old 10-30-03, 08:19 PM

Does it have mini games in it (like the serving game where you have to hit the blocks off the court) or is it just straight tennis?
Old 10-30-03, 08:42 PM

Keep it. Yes it has mini games. They are in a story mode type of career. Game is awesome.
Old 10-31-03, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ok, after staying up til 3am playing this game, i have to give it a big thumbs up! i like it even better than crimson skies.

few problems:
loading times are ridiculous
loading hung once
while serving, i got a blank blue screen, and then a message to restart the xbox...

i played a friend of mine w/ max stats, i had 4 stars, and he crushed me. i think i won 1 point. so, for online, you may need to max out your players.
Old 10-31-03, 12:05 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by young
i played a friend of mine w/ max stats, i had 4 stars, and he crushed me. i think i won 1 point. so, for online, you may need to max out your players.
That kind of stinks. But isn't there some sort of Optimatch thing where you get matched up with players of similar skill levels? That may help people who want to play online right away, but don't want to just get stomped outright.
Old 10-31-03, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

there is an optimatch, but honestly, i do avoid optimatch sessions at all costs.

i will be adding people to my friends list tonight from the dvdtalk list; if anyone wants to play against someone not fully maxed out yet, let me know.

--
Serve - **
Forehand - **
Backhand - **
Volley - ***

skill - volley
Old 10-31-03, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
I loved Virtua Tennis because it was fast, easy to play, and the mini games were fun. Top Spin was called "Virtua Tennis 3" by EGM, but I don't think it deserves that honor because it's not arcade-ish like Virtua Tennis was. It's got great graphics and animations, but I don't think it's as fun to play. The players move slower than in Virtua Tennis, and that takes getting used to. Control in Virtua Tennis was easy, but the power shots (or whatever they're called) in Top Spin that require you to time the left or right trigger just right are difficult to pull off. I haven't seen all the mini games yet, but the ones I have seen are boring games like hit-the-ball-here-using-forehand or hit-the-ball-here-using-backhand; so far I haven't seen any fun games like Virtua Tennis had, such as knocking over bowling pins or hitting boxes out of the court. There's no music during the matches, so that makes them sound dull (at least to me). It also would have been nice if Microsoft had given HDTV owners the option to play the game in 16X9 format. It's a good tennis game if you're looking for realism.

And oh yeah... the load times are ridiculously long!

Last edited by Joe Schmoe; 11-02-03 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-31-03, 04:08 PM

Anyone tried the XSN Sports leagues yet? We should set up a DVDTalk Top Spin Conference.
Old 10-31-03, 08:21 PM
Admin Emeritus

This is a pretty fun game. I actually managed to create a character with the same skin tone and build as me. The hairstyle's a little off, and he kind of looks like a monster if you look at him in the face up close, but otherwise, he's a shoo-in for me! I even decked him out in the type of clothes I usually wear to play tennis. In short, the player creator is great.

It's also cool that you can get sponsored by real-life companies that make tennis gear (Wilson is mine right now). I couldn't seem to find a way to get sponsored by Head, though, even though my character started out with a Head racket. If anyone figures that one out, let me know.

The "improve your skill" minigames are a nice break from playing matches, but my GOSH, the second serve one is killing me. I got the first one sort of easily, but I've already spent $12,500+ on the second one. The forehand "improve your skill" games are a lot easier... I didn't mess up on those once.
Old 10-31-03, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

my only real complaint is that i think it's a little buggy... it crashed 2x on me now (no other game has ever crashed on me). where it gives you a blank blue screen and then a message to restart the xbox. this has also happened to a friend of mine.

both times, it happens when a match is about to start (i just started to serve)

--
i must say that it's very convenient that you can add friends while in the game and not in the xbox dashboard.

Last edited by young; 10-31-03 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-31-03, 10:53 PM

IGN Top Spin review Score 9.3

Gamespot Top Spin reveiw Score 9.1
Old 10-31-03, 10:58 PM
Admin Emeritus

A little more speech would be nice, too... I think are little blurbs when you start and finish matches sometimes, and of course when points are called out, but that's about it. I think it'd be great if Microsoft got Bud Collins, John McEnroe, and Chris Evert to do some sort of commentary. But no commentary plus no music when your match is loading up can make for an eerily quiet atmosphere, especially compared to other sports games.

But the sound the game does have is great. With a 5.1 system, you really feel like the crowd is all around you when they clap and cheer. The actual sounds of the game are nice, too. One additional thing I noticed was when I played in a pro tournament against a guy named Salvador Rios... people in the crowd would call out his name once in a while. "Salvador, I love you!" Stuff like that. Kinda neat.
Old 11-01-03, 01:10 AM

I just bought this game...haven't even opened it yet. I would love to get in a dvdtalk xsn conference, or league, or however they work those things. That is, as long as the game is as good as everyone makes it seem!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.