Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

AZUMI R2 DVD 11/21 (from the director of VERSUS)

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 10-27-03, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,073 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Ryuhei Kitamura's (VERSUS) newest film, AZUMI is being released in Japan on 11/21. I've seen the trailer for this film and it looks like a very cool samurai film. The R2 DVD will be available as a single disc (4800 yen) and as a 2 disc special edition (5800 yen). It will include a DTS track and best of all, English subtitles. I'm planning to get this as a blind buy, based on the trailer and my fondness of VERSUS. Details of the discs can be found at cdjapan.
Old 10-28-03, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I plan on picking this up in my next order at Amotokyo, along with the new Namie Amuro live DVD and the Becky DVD and maybe some other stuff.
Old 10-28-03, 12:13 PM

Its hopefully going to be a stunning film, and from the people who have seen it, well they say it is.

the 2 dvd version looks staggering! its a lot like RETURNER deluex version, what a georgous package!!!
I am waiting for it to be stocked somewhere I buy from, Yesasia seem the cheapest and free delivery.

and Ryuhei Kitamura's other NEW film was released last friday in Japan,
ALIVE -2 dvd deluex version, mine shipped today, it too looks really good. he has sooo many films coming out over the next few years, he is working very hard.

and VERSUS is still THE film of the year!
Old 10-28-03, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am definitely debating picking this film up. Looks like I am going to have a huge order for CDJapan by the time I place it.
Old 10-28-03, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I recommend Amazon.co.jp over cdjapan, as cdjapan charges a "10% handling fee" that Amazon.co.jp doesn't. But with Amazon, you sort of have to know what you're searching for in Japanese, if it has a Japanese title. Maybe Babblefish or Amikai or just know Japanese.

I'll be using Amotokyo, I haven't bought from him in awhile. Free EMS shipping if you order $200 or more (which for me, is no problem as the vast majority of stuff I buy is R2).
Old 10-28-03, 02:40 PM

I thought ALIVE didn't have English subs?
Old 10-28-03, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,073 Likes on 1,425 Posts
Originally posted by mrwilson
I thought ALIVE didn't have English subs?
I think you're right. Too bad, because that film looks pretty good too. Hopefully there will be a release in another country that will have English subs.
Old 10-29-03, 01:18 AM

I've seen AZUMI. If you guys are walking in expecting another VERSUS you are in for a colossal disappointment. It plays out like a fairly standard manga -> film translation with some occasional good swordplay, none of which is done particularly well by Aya Ueto in the titular role. Director Ryuhei Kitamura pulls off some fantastic tricks with the camera (including a loop-de-loop spin around two dueling combatants at the film's finale) but the action is at times marred by unnecessary CGI and cut-aways at the peak of action, making it difficult to believe Azumi really is as deadly as they claim she is. Plot is so-so, but narrative has never been Kitamura's strong point.

I thoroughly enjoyed VERSUS but thought this one was watchable but eventually ho-hum, anchored surprisingly by the character Bijomaru, an arrogant effeminate samurai who is so over-the-top he steals the thunder from Ueto. Caveat emptor - but if you do decide to bite the bullet, I'd recommend YesAsia since they charge at roughly the going yen rate and offer free shipping.
Old 10-29-03, 11:13 AM

ALIVE has no english subs, even though all the sites said it did, and they posted mine the other day!!! anger doest cover it, it cost a fortune!!!

and lets all hope AZUMI has english subs.
Old 10-29-03, 02:28 PM

Alive was never advertised as having subs, save for at Amotokyo where all of their info on subtitles should be treated with skepticism.
Old 10-29-03, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I strongly recommend against Yesasia if you are looking to get the first limited edition. They screwed my order up for another limited thing, and by the time they admitted they couldnt get one for me, it was too late to get one from anywhere else. I had to pay some ripoff price to get it.

I intend to use Amotokyo.