Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong Legends DVD-Benson World has a sale-so which ones are best?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 10-26-03, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Benson's World DVD is having a sale on those R2 Hong Kong Legends DVDS, with most of them selling for around 9 Pounds.

The question I have is, which ones are the best to get in terms of extras? I've seen most of the films already back in the day when you had only VHS and Laser Discs to deal with.

Also, what about the double disc Game of Death, is that one worth picking up? Its not part of that new Bruce Lee box set, is it? And does anyone know if there is any plans of releasing the Bruce Lee box set and/or Game of Death Special Edition domestically?

Thanks

thomas
Old 10-27-03, 06:10 PM

I think the definite must buys are Project A and Iron Monkey. These are the best versions of these movies and they will never come out in region 1 uncut. I would also recomend The Killer since that too is the best version out right now.

Haven't checked out the Bruce Lee boxset. It looks like the Game of Death 2 disc made it in the boxset, but the Way of the dragon 2 disc didn't. Here's a link of what's in the boxset. http://www.hongkonglegends.co.uk

Haven't heard any news on a proper release of Bruce Lee's movies domestically, but if it does happen it's going to be a long wait and lacking in extras.
Old 10-27-03, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 938 Likes on 661 Posts
For my money, these are the best titles available:

The Killer
Once Upon A Time In China
Once Upon A Time In China 2
The Prodigal Son
Project A
Project A part 2
The Young Master

All of the above are great movies and have solid extras (especially Project A). The Bey Logan commentaries are worth the price alone. If you like any of the movies that are a part of this sale, I would recommend getting them. Except for a few titles, these are the best versions available.

The Game Of Death double disc is in the boxset. I personally ordered Game Of Death as the supplements are supposed to be great. (the movie itself kinda blows)
Old 10-27-03, 09:17 PM

I have to recommend the first Police Story. Jackie Chan's best film by far, and a pretty good dvd. Not many special features though, but the audio commentary is very good.
Old 10-27-03, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Story of Ricky.
Old 10-28-03, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

At those prices, get as many as you can afford.
Old 10-28-03, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Shipping is higher at Bensons than at HKLegends, and Bensons charges 2-DVD titles as 2 items - so even though their sale prices are GBP1-2 cheaper than HKLegends website, you're really not saving a lot with this sale if you're buying more than 3 titles. Also, HKLegends ships a free DVD with all orders of 3 or more titles (it has about 18 trailers, and the full length Jet Li movie Hitman).
Old 11-02-03, 04:43 PM
Cool New Member

The Killer is cheaper at CD-WOW (7.99 GBP), and has free shipping.
Old 11-07-03, 02:34 PM

cd-wow.com has 6 HKL on sale at $11.95 (us dollar) each.